South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/189.4/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking New to SouthBeach and 3FChicks

I think I stumbled across a bonanza when I found this forum. My husband was told by his doctor, if he didn't reduce his carbs (potatoes, etc) he won't be around much longer - then he recommended the SouthBeach diet. I've heard about it and even had the book lying about as I've personally tried several diets (failing, of course).

Talk about motiviation - I found that book, read and and next week when he comes back from his trip - will fall into Phase 1. I'm trying to get all my ducks (er chicks) in a row by removing bad foods from the house and purchasing only good.

I can use all the help I can get to help both my husband and myself off to a good start with Phase 1. I've never heard of Laughing Cow cheeses and am looking to add it to my arsenal. Most diets don't work for me because I hate fish and most all types of seafood - what do I do in Phase 1 for that?

Thank you all for being here - I can't wait to get going properly.
AZMama2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

You don't have to have seafood in any Phase of SB. My husband doesn't like fish unless it's salmon. Get plenty of lean meats and beans for your protein. We love 93% lean ground turkey as a substitute for ground beef in everything and can't tell the difference. I also love eggs and eat them daily. Also the nut servings are a good source of protein and healthy fats, so I would encourage you to get them in.

The recipes in the book didn't work for most of us, but there are a ton of fantastic recipes in this forum. There are several I make every week and my family loves them!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #3  

Talking

Thank you so much, Anne - I was excited reading the book then quietly screamed when I saw that the recipes were almost fish every night - my husband loves fish, so he'd be fine with it - but, I wouldn't - and we are in this together. I've got a lot of weight to lose myself - I think I can plan ahead when he eats fish and I'll have some lean meat of some sort. I appreciate this support
Old 02-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

AZMama. Some of the book recipes are fine but I seldom use them. I rely on the recipes here. By the way, I don't eat fish except shrimp so ...
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #5  

You guys are awsome - I will be perusing the recipes here as I make my my menu! Where's the best link?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

As long as it's lean protein you can eat it. So turkey, chicken, lean cuts of steak, etc. I happen to love seafood so eating fish/shrimp/tuna is fine with me.

I use the laughing cow cheese now and then but they can be a bit pricey IMO. I usually buy more when it's on sale.

I think on the main south beach forum there is a "recipes" section.

I love south beach diet- since I've started on it my carbs are just naturally lower than the average person. Even if I'm not trying to lower them lol.

Not on phase 1 but in later phases if your husband really loves potato try sweet potatoes- SOOO good

Last edited by beerab; 02-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

The recipe links are easy to find at the top of the SB forum and are listed by Phases. Here's a link to them:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...h-recipes-114/
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

Welcome!! You can most definately be sucessfull without seafood. I know this for sure, because I do not eat any meat. I also started SB, because of a Dr. recommendation.
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #9  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! The recipes here are as amazing as everyone has said. Another great site is Kalyn's Kitchen.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

And, I agree -- I'm not a seafood person either.. I love the recipes here and on another forum:
southbeach-diet-plan dot com and then navigate to the Recipe forum (not the tab at the top, but about 1/4 of the way down the page)

In case the link gets removed, Google "south beach diet forum" and it's the result titled "SB Diet Discussion Forum. - South Beach Diet Plan"

They've got a bajillion different recipes, and are pretty well organized too

Last edited by Mum2Monkeys; 02-01-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Mum2Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Don't fret about the fish. I don't like fish at all so I've stuck to chicken, turkey, and lean cuts of beef. I love shrimp, crab, and lobster but can't have shrimp anymore due to allergies and prefer FRESH crab and lobster, so I don't get it much where I live. It can definitely be done w/o having to surrender to fish all the time, for sure. Good luck and welcome to the site!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #12  

This has got to be one of the best supportive sites ever! You all have me encouraged and I know I'm not alone in this - and if a solution is to be had, this site can do it. I've been looking over some of the fabulous recipes - and have started putting these into my mastercook adding what I come across that looks interesting to my palate. Once I get it done - I'd be happy to share it with the forum - I'm showing in the recipe byline who created (or posted) the recipe and where it came from (3 chicks). You all have turned me from discouragement to excitement! Thank you!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

That is AWESOME...I'm so glad that you have been encouraged by the members here. This is an awesome place, no doubt about it. I love it here!!!
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #14  

I'm here to stay! And if I lose 65 pounds for trying to straighted out my husbands diet to avoid a heart attack - well, I'll just do it
Old 02-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #15  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! My husband has eaten so much healthier since I started SBD. Some of the changes took awhile, but he feels so much better even though he doesn't have one ounce to lose.

The thing I really like about SBD is that you can take your meal plan any way you wish. I started by tweaking all our favorites to make them SBD friendly and my DH never even noticed. For the past 7-8 months I started eating more vegetarian meals and DH just went with the flow. I heard him bragging to someone the other day that he rarely eats meat any more. Whatever your fancy, you can make it work!

I look forward to your new recipes and participation!

Best Wishes!

PS many of us have never followed any of the meal plans in the books. We just follow the guidelines which become easier the longer you follow them.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote