Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300.6/290.6/???

Height: 5'5"

Default Cheapest source for Davinci/Torani syrups?

I've been making the One-Minute Muffin recipe every morning for bkfst, but since I also make a "syrup" to go with it (melted butter, a bit more vanilla syrup, and a bit of maple extract), I'm going through the Torani syrup pretty fast. Our grocery store only has two flavors and they're not very cheap. Do you have a favorite source for the best prices (and/or selection)?

Thank you!
Irish Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #2  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

i find mine at world market
whats the one minute muffin recipe???
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #3  

I found it here.

OK, I was going to link here, but I'm still not aloud to post links, which is kind of silly since it's a link to another post on this board. Anywho, to get there from here in the Carb Counters forum, click on Low Carb Recipes, then Miscellaneous, and the recipe is posted about 3/4 of the way down the page.

I make it with flax meal, vanilla Torani, and actually usually use coconut oil instead of butter - it has a sweet, coconutty aroma, but there is no actual sugar in it. It's a really healthy oil, too. I've actually been skipping the baking powder b/c it's one less thing to measure and the only difference is that the "muffin" is a little denser. Then I make my "syrup" and pour that over while it's hot so it absorbs right in. It's delicious, and it's lots of fiber, which is nice since I'm not always good about eating my veggies. It also hits the spot when served on the side of fried eggs. It's kind of a muffin/pancake hybrid, so it feels a bit like going out and having eggs with a side of pancakes.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I get mine at TJ Maxx and Home Goods, in the gourmet food section.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've ordered it off amazon before 3 bottles come in a pack, and they're all the same flavor, but if there's one you really like.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I think if you buy them in a variety it's much cheaper. That's what my aunt got me for Christmas. This way isn't that great, though, because you get flavors you don't want. Mine has Irish Cream and Hazelnut which I don't really have any use for.

My mom brought home a bottle of orange from the regular grocery store in the area (I think)...I'm pretty sure she said they were 4.99 a bottle over there but I don't remember. Try looking in your local grocery store, maybe around the coffee aisle.

Last edited by Linsy; 02-01-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've found a cheap alternative, rather than a cheap source: flavoring oils (used mostly for candymaking, in tiny 1dram bottles, such as LorAnn flavoring oils) or extracts and my own sweeteners.

Not only tons cheaper, they take up much less space, because they're much more potent. They lat ridiculously long (especially the oils)

For most of the extracts, an 1/8 teaspoon works well in a large beverage. The candy oils are so strong that dipping a toothpick into the oil and then into the beverage is usually enough (if not I dip the clean end into the oil and dip a second time).

I choose natural extracts whenever possible, and I not only check the grocery stores (for McCormick extracts), but also baking, bulk, candy making, and gourmet shops (where the extracts and flavorings can be more expensive, but it's still far cheaper and usually much better than any of the ready made syrups)

In extracts I have

cherry (imitation)
vanilla (several brands because different vanillas taste different. I avoid imitation vanilla, because it's usually vanillin, which I don't care for, because it has a subtle aftertaste)
almond
rootbeer
peppermint
orange
lemon

in the LorAnn candy oils (which I relatively recently discovered and plan on expanding my collection because there are oodles of flavors like chocolate, white chocolate, cola, pomegranate, amaretto, key lime and dozens more).

lime oil
pistachio oil
tangerine oil

(and my goal is to pick up two every time we go to the baking & bulk supply store where I found them. I think Michael's also carries them with their cake & candy making supplies).

I found the LorAnn oils in a baking supply shop for $1.49. The bottle is only about an inch high and seems to last forever (I haven't replaced or depleted any yet, though I've gone through a couple bottles of cherry and almond extracts).

Last edited by kaplods; 02-01-2011 at 09:15 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #8  

I'd forgotten about Home Goods and the like...we bought SF syrups from them years ago! Once this abysmal cold snap passes, I'll have to go check.

kaplods - Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into that - it sounds much cheaper.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I know this is an old thread but I just came across it... I'm wondering about the candy oils kaplods posted about. All of the Davinci and Torani syrups I have tried are overly too sweet for me to the point I can't enjoy the flavors. These extracts look like they could work though since I can add my own sweetner.

has anyone else tried them? kaplods, if you are still using them what flavors do you like? I see peanut butter, chocolate, coconut, pina colada, pumpkin, cinnabun... and then the ice cream flavoring they have chocolate mint, cake batter... can they be used to flavor protein shakes? or what else can they be used for?

Last edited by ringmaster; 08-01-2012 at 03:17 PM.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yes, I'm still using them (just about every time I go to the little baking-goods shop I buy them in, I pick up a new flavor).

Since I posted, I've added

cheesecake
pistachio
caramel
cherry
amaretto
chocolate

Cherry is my favorite (but it's my favorite in everything)

I bought an eyedropper, and use one or two drops of flavor (and my own sweetener).

Yes, you can use them to flavor protein shakes and smoothies, but they're also great in puddings (I'm not as much a fan of Jello's sugar free cheesecake pudding, as I am adding a coupe drops of cheesecake flavored oil into the vanilla or chocolate sf pudding) and yogurt too.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

I buy mine here: https://www.smartfoodservice.com/

This is a restaurant supply place about a mile from my house and they have pretty much every flavor of davinci's and torani's sf syrups. Plus it is a good price. They have the big bottles for 3.64
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5'5

I use Capellas Flavor drops and get them at Netrition, cheapest I have found so far. With Ez Sweets I make shakes no carb using Syntrax Nectar whey protein powder. I have several DaVincis and get tired of them as too sweet or too much liquid for the recipe, good luck.
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote