Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Fitness site/weight loss site that shows weight and body fat %?

I have a tanita Ironman scale that shows body fat (among other things) and weight. I would like to use an all in one site that shows my exercise, my weight loss (not necessarily everything I put in my mouth, but OK), my body fat etc. I just looked at fit day and it does weight only. Being able to put in measurements would be nice too!

Anyone know of such a site?
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Fitday does measurements as well. It's the "body" tab when you're signed it.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #3  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
Fitday does measurements as well. It's the "body" tab when you're signed it.
But it doesn't do body fat %, right? That's one of the most important things to track as you get on plateaus or are getting close to goal and are feeling angst with the scale, but realizing you are still DOING something with changing fat to muscle.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
But it doesn't do body fat %, right? That's one of the most important things to track as you get on plateaus or are getting close to goal and are feeling angst with the scale, but realizing you are still DOING something with changing fat to muscle.
No, it doesn't.

I've never heard body fat percentage is the most important thing to track though. Those body fat scales are wildly inaccurate. Measurements will show you a lot more information with a lot more accuracy.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think fitday may not do body fat because it is very difficult to measure accurately. I think the most accurate involves being weighed underwater and determining your density. Often considered the gold standard, but really inconvenient.

Many people end up using calipers (a skinfold test), but this measurement can be flawed due to human error.

Tanita scales use bioelectrical impedence, which pass electrical impulses through the body and measure resistance. They can be affected by hydration levels, among other things...

Also, it's notoriously difficult for women to build a lot of muscle mass!

But you're right -- changing our body composition is important!! When I first started weightlifting I went through a 3 month period where I lost no weight, but went down a dress size! That's how I knew something good was going on!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #6  
Melissa

Oh I know, I as I watch my scales fat/water/etc go bonkers every day, but they will show a trend. But yes, I'm taking body measurements too! Anything to keep my mind from thinking, "I'm stuck".
Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #7  
Melissa

Heather - it's true. I have a love/hate relationship with my tanita scale. And if your feet are dry? No good. I'm inputting my stuff from the last month into fitday as we type. Seems pretty good overall.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Oh I know, I as I watch my scales fat/water/etc go bonkers every day, but they will show a trend. But yes, I'm taking body measurements too! Anything to keep my mind from thinking, "I'm stuck".
oh, yeah. I hate those "I'm stuck," moments. Difficult to keep motivated, isn't it?

I'm guessing with the websites you're going to have to settle for measurements and weight. Maybe you can make a spreadsheet to keep track of body fat?