Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #1  
Less of a Better Me

Default Not required to eat all your PointsPlus

We've had some discussion here and I've seen debate on the WW official forums on whether you must eat all your daily PointsPlus. Some say, yes while others say no. Some say you don't have to but must eat a minimum of 29 which is the minimum daily pointsplus.

Today I went to my meeting (had a perfect week, counted everything, ate just under 1200 calories a day and .....neither gained nor lost). Anyway, in the weekly brochure they give you on page 8 it says:

"Whether your daily PointsPlus Target is 29 or 71....Aim to meet your daily PointsPlus Target. It's okay to have a few PointsPlus values left over (don't overeat) if you feel satisfied."

It is also indicated not to eat so many 0 point fruits and veggies that you have no room for anything else and not to deprive your self.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #2  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for sharing that!

I think the key there is the advice to aim to meet your daily target. I think that there are many people out there who have higher targets who are convinced that it's too much and they're regularly and intentionally eating well below their daily target. Budget your points out for the whole day in advance (so many for each meal and snack planned for in advance) and try to hit the daily target each and every day.

I truly believe that the new Points Plus program has made it significantly easier to eat whole foods and natural foods (as opposed to all low-cal, low-fat, artificial alternatives). My DH and I have found it much easier to eat our daily points since we've switched many things over to more whole food items. People who are struggling to fill their daily points may find it useful to look at incorporation more whole foods and doing away with many of the processed diet foods.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

I've been doing much better on the new plan. Last week I met my daily points exactly on several days (I didn't use any weekly points) and had a few days that was under. I wasn't trying to be under (I get 29 points) but I am really trying not to eat if I'm not hungry.

I've realized in the last few weeks that my weight gain was really attributable to two things (and those two things were not eating too many fruits and veggies). One was eating out often. It is possible to eat out and still stay within points but it is much, much more difficult especially if you do it frequently.

THe other thing is that when I was home I tended to sit at the computer and have a snack always at hand. I would have said I wasn't eating really unhealthy snacks and I wasn't but I had no real portion control. I got into a habit of just constantly snacking when at the computer.

I haven't given up the snacking entirely but I am very mindful of what I eat now. I will eat a little bit and then really think about whether I am hungry and want to eat more. If I am then I do looking at points left first. If I end up using a weekly point or two that is fine (today I did eat out and I probably will eat a few weekly points) but it is also fine if I end up a little under 29 points.

I do find I am eating healthier foods and fewer processed foods. Part of that is that I track calories on livestrong and see the amount of sodium in foods and I've been working to cut that down (real reason I think I didn't lose today...yesterday was a higher sodium day). And cutting sodium largely means cutting out a lot of processed foods.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #4  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

When I did the old Points system, I used to cycle. I think my allowance was 26 points per day, but some day I had 20, other days I had 35.

I actually found the plan somewhere on these boards - I think it was called "the Wendie Plan" and it broke down how you could cycle your points.

The only downside of this was that you didn't really have WP because you used them in your designated higher points days. It really worked for me, but I haven't found the need to do that just yet on the PointsPlus system.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #5  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Deltawifey View Post
Try varying your point intake. My leader said that we don't have to eat all of our DP, and she also said that the most successful lifetime members eat all of there WPs. If you are barely eating 1200 cals then this could possibly be the reason why you are maintaining on so few cals, your body might be becoming more efficient at your lower cal range and you may need to shake things up a bit.

I do think it's a good idea to meet your DP, I eat all of my DP, WP, and AP. I'm not saying anyone should feel the need to eat all of their points but at the same time refrain from telling yourself that they are off limits or that if you eat them you will gain. Maybe you should try to see if eating the WP will help you lose weight. Good Luck
If you are responding to me, actually this morning I was down a pound and a half and I ate out yesterday and ate high sodium (I did eat one WP).

I have kept records of weight loss and WW for years including when I got to goal and became lifetime.

For me, if I eat all my WP my weight lost slows to between .25 and .5 pounds a week. I was getting very frustrated as I was following the program eating most of my WP (and sometimes all of them and a few of my AP) and I was losing .2 of a pound one week, .1 the next, then .5 (woohoo!) and then .3. It was very frustrating. I was averaging about .4 pounds a week.

I went back and looked and my old records. For me, I had the most success when I didn't eat most of my WP. Since I've gone back to that my weight loss has averaged 1.5 pounds a week -- this past week the only time I had no loss. And, as I said, this morning -- the day after weigh in -- I'm down 1.5 pounds.

If I was struggling to not eat WP and felt deprived it would be one thing. But I'm eating when hungry. Yesterday I did eat one WP and felt fine about doing that. For me, if I don't eat out I do fine with eating only daily points. Of course on activity days I do eat more and have it set to use up AP before WP.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

With the new P+ I rarely eat my WP or AP. I usually eat all my DP. I have a few one and two pt go-to add-ons to finish the DPs. When I didn't eat all my DPs, my losses slowed. When I run my menu through a calorie counter and it runs just over 1500k. I am losing at a rate of 1# per week. I earn about 50-60 APs a week and I think they are overgenerous when calculating them for me.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 PM   #7  

Unhappy Frustrated

I am nowhere near my DP. I can't get over 34 and I have 51 DP. How can someone be allowed to eat 4 Big Macs a day (just example) and still lose weight?

Big Mac=13 pts

13x4=52.
Cherrylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Post up an example of what you are eating on a daily basis and we can offer some advice
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM   #9  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrylo View Post
I am nowhere near my DP. I can't get over 34 and I have 51 DP. How can someone be allowed to eat 4 Big Macs a day (just example) and still lose weight?

Big Mac=13 pts

13x4=52.
While you could eat 4 big macs and call it a day, that's not the only solution to this issue! Like JennyT said, if you'd like to post a sample day for yourself we can help you figure out a healthy and nutritious way to get more points consumed in a day.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #10  

It also says, a little farther along, that 29 is the least anyone can eat in a day. Let's give it all, not just a little piece.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

Big Mac=13 pts

13x4=52.
WW isn't just about Points. It's about the good health guidelines, power foods, fruits and veggies and changing behavior.

Easy ways to up your points - have nuts and nut butters as snacks, switch to full fat dairy/cheese/yogurt. Add more oils. Eat avocado. Eat whole eggs, not egg whites or egg beaters.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 243.4/212.2/150

This was brought up in our meeting this week too. I've always had trouble eating all my points but this go round it's not so hard. Our leader said it's ok if you're a few points below your daily points but you should never go below 29 points. She also stated if you're way below your points chances are you're not eating well balanced nutrious meals.
Squirt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #13  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
It also says, a little farther along, that 29 is the least anyone can eat in a day. Let's give it all, not just a little piece.
Actually the particular materials I quoted from WW said that it is OK not to meet your points target every day whether your points are 29 or 71. This was also discussed in the meeting. It is true that the minimum points target is 29 but it is fine to eat to satisfaction and meet your GHG and eat 28 points for example.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Cheryl, if somebody eats 4 Big Macs a day, they probably won't lose weight, because they didn't follow the healthy guidelines. (And edited to add - are you reading the new system or the old? Old system is 13 points for a Big Mac - new system is 14 points. Not a big difference, but the point values totally changed, so make sure you are reading the correct points because you have to use the higher points value in order to have the new set of Daily Points. The daily allowance went up considerably with the new program but so did the point values for many foods) I know that the Big Mac was just an example - but here's the explanation for that and similar scenarios. It's more than just the points on this plan. You can get your points up by eating all the required foods. Remember, your body needs the proper fuel to burn calories and function as well. If you put kool-aid in your car, it's not going to run very well. Same goes for your body.

In your Pocket Guide, on page 102, the guidelines are listed.

5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day.

1-2 servings of lean protein a day (For example - Big Macs aren't lean, and 4 of them would be overshooting this goal).

2-3 servings of low fat or non fat dairy. (not found in a Big Mac or most unhealthy food)

Whole grains over refined grains, whenever possible. Also not found in junk food. Whole grains like barley, oatmeal, quinoa, and brown rice have a pretty good amount of points. Smother them with some vegetables and a bit of olive oil, and you've got power food that will stick to your ribs and keep your body from feeling deprived.

2 teaspoons a day of healthy oil. You can go over this if you have the points available. Cooking veggies or lean meats in olive oil, or adding avocado to your meals can bump up your calories, plus get heart-healthy oils in your system. Big Macs are saturated fat and will clog your heart in the long run, but olive oil and nut oils will help keep everything running smooth and clean.

Plus, you should be exercising 10-30 minutes a day, most days of the week, which will also make you a bit hungrier, helping you reach your points. I know it can be frustrating trying to figure out what to eat, but if you follow the Good Health Guidelines, it's a lot easier. Do you have any of the WW cookbooks? There's a 5 ingredient cookbook that's quick and easy. It's a limited edition cookbook, so once they're gone at your local place, they won't be back. It's a really good one, full of ideas.

This was one thing we talked about week before last. Following the plan in it's entirety will almost guarantee success on this plan.

Quote:

Big Mac=13 pts

13x4=52.

Last edited by Jennifer 3FC; 01-31-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM   #15  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

My meeting leader addressed this a couple of weeks ago.

She said that studies show if you cut down your caloric intake while trying to lose weight too much...what happens is...you're more likely to have days of overeating because you try to make up for the deficit (She explained it much better...that'st he cliffs notes version)

With Weight Watchers...they cut down your caloric intake gradually...so say you're 300lbs and your typically consuming say...I dunno...2500 calories a day (bear with me...I'm making up numbers but I don't really know). And then all of the sudden...you drop down to 1200 per day...you wont last. BUT...if you go from 2500 down to 2100...and then down from there slowly as you lose weight...your more likely to NOT over eat as your goals and decreases are more attainable.

My point...if you have 51 points...or 44...or 37 or 29. Eat them. Eat them all. Find ways to get them in. I started eating more whole foods...occasionally I have some "junk" food (in the form of low fat ice cream...etc) to treat myself because I can't not...because then I'll be more likely to binge. But I get my 44 points in. I tend to use my weeklies...I know some people dont. In the WP and AP...do what works best for you. But eat your daily allowance. If it happens once in a while...no biggie I don't think...but don't make it a daily habit.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote