Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:32 PM   #1  

Default In a hole

I'm having a hard time.

I have a very close friend who has MS. She's young and single and used to be very athletic. Her health has been deteriorating more and more and now she is in the hospital, having just recently become a parapalegic. She's in total denial and having a hard time all the way around. (I can only imagine how it must feel to be so out of control of your own body.) I spend as much time with her as I can at the hospital.

So, I am down and when I am down I eat. I'm a total addict. I've got to learn how to function when bad things happen.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:06 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Im sorry about your friend. You need to tell yourself that in order to be of any use to her, you need to take care of yourself.

Keep that baby in mind, too. You don't want to still be on their "overweight" list when it's your turn.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:25 PM   #3  

As bad as things are with your firend, remember how bad you want that baby. You have come this far, don't give up now!

Bella23
Old 04-16-2003, 10:37 PM   #4  

Angie,

It is wonderful that you are so supportive of and present for your friend. My guess is that if she knew you were sacrificing your necessary adoption health plan for her, though, she would probably be upset. It sounds like it would be helpful for you to find some balance -- between caring for your friend and caring for yourself and your child.

We have been waiting for so long for our children to come home and I do not wish this upon anyone. The reasons for our delays are out of our control. You can control your timing to a certain extent, though, by managing your weight. Please don't let anything stand in the way of that. Remember that if this child were coming to you through pregnancy and a doctor told you to stay in bed, you would. It would be tough to not be with your friend, but you would do it. Your situation is so similar. You have been told to reach a healthier weight so you have to do it. Believe me...it will be torture if you have to delay any longer than necessary.

I hope this isn't too harsh. I am just one who knows all too well the heartbreak of waiting for her children.
Peace,
Paula
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM   #5  

thanks everyone for your words of support. Today is a new day and I am determined to stay on plan no matter what happens.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Emotional eating is the hardest thing to overcome, I think. It's become such a habit to turn to food to mask our emotions, whether they are good emotions or bad emotions.

Do you write in a journal? Maybe writing down how bad you feel for your friend will help you experience the emotion so you don't have to cover it up.

Good luck today!!
Old 04-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #7  

I haven't journaled in a while. I need to take it up again.
Closed Thread