General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/166/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Diana Gabaldon - Outlander Series

I was participating in a thread asking about e-readers, and a poster brought up the Outlander Series (by author Diana Gabaldon).

I thought I would start on a thread on it because nobody I know has ever read this, so I have no one to talk about it with!

Granted, I have finished the entire series and am anxiously awaiting the next book, but I thought Outlander lovers could chat about the series here!

I managed to get my doubtful friend totally hooked on the books. She is a huge Stephen King fan and I told her about the Outlander series, and she was VERY skeptical, but ended up being just as obsessed as I am!

I often catch myself sometimes thinking about Jamie and Claire and what they are doing as if they are real people sometimes!

Anyone else?

Last edited by BreathingSpace; 01-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.
BreathingSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've read the first in the series. I have the second and third waiting for me, but I'm knee deep in another book at the moment. I enjoyed it a great deal (of course, why else would I buy the next ones).
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I find them difficult to get into but once I'm into absolutely love them. I read the first...I think 2.

It's one of the series you need time to allow youreself to be immersed into it. Does that make sense? If you just read for a few minutes or skim pages it's hard.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

I've read them all and have them all I ( and others) were less than dazzled by the last book Echo in the Bone, or should I say the path it is taking. We all cried about the death of a Beloved Character though - I hope that's not too much of a spoiler. Overall I love the series and reread it often. I had a chance to meet Diana G once at a book signing but didn't go because I felt too gross - kicking myself now because I'm pretty sure that she really doesn't care what her fans weigh.
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206.6/tracker/150

Height: 5'4"

My friend is reading these. I am going to be starting the series in February sometime, working on my TBR and new releases that I MUST read! She says it's fabulous, but I know starting from the beginning is a time commitment.

I will come back in when I start it!
megems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I really enjoyed the first few books a LOT. I couldn't read them fast enough. Things slowed down for me in Fiery Cross (the big red one?). That was a long, slow slog uphill. So much about breastfeeding and the contents of diapers. The story is still going strong, but the telling is getting thick. I think the author suffers from the same thing a lot of other authors begin to have in the later books of a series - she's so in love with and interested in her characters, she forgets that WE as READERS might not want to hear every thought or read every action. It's too much. Needs editing.

I just finished another series, nothing like Outlander, and it was the same thing - by the last book the main character is in conflict and she just keeps going OVER and OVER, round and round, the same thoughts. It's not interesting or realistic, it's irritating and boring.

All that aside, the first Outlander book is one of the most fun and adventurous books I've ever read. Claire is so brave and funny. I hope it's never made into a movie, but it would make a great HBO series if they didn't lose all her humor.

Anyone try to read the graphic novel?
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #7  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

Maybe I was the one who posted about Diana Gabaldon. ??? I LOVE her series! Like your friend, I was skeptical about the series, because the person who recommended it, did so along with another romance novel, and I don't really read that genre.
THANK GOODNESS I READ IT ANYWAY!!! I didn't start reading her series until after an Echo in the Bone was out, so I got hooked, flew through the series, and then found out she only publishes only every three years or so...WTH?!?!?!?.
I have not only read her outlander series a number of times, but have also read her Lord John series. I AM HOOKED! I got the chance to meet her back in October and had a great time, as well as my books signed. ( I decided against her signing my Sony E-reader, though I was tempted) I check her website weekly for the chance that she will publish excerpts from the 8th book. (told ya I was hooked!) Anyway, I think about them all the time, and can't wait for her next book, as well as the next Lord John series book, due out at the end of this year.
I got my sister hooked on the series as well, though I warned her to take her time getting through the series, so she isn't frustrated.
Anytime you want to talk about Jamie, Claire, Ian, William, etc.... just let me know!

Last edited by vdander24; 01-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE the LJG series and I didn't expect to at all. I didn't like him in the Outlander series so I thought oh gak. A whole BOOK on this guy? And I love them! I'm so much more sympathetic to him and interested in his story.

It's also cool that every time I go back and reread the series, I get something I missed before. Her story lines are so tight and far reaching. Something from the first book will become important in the third in a way I never expected. I can't wait to find out what's up with that ghost from the very beginning of the first book! Even FC, which was so hard for me to get into, becomes so much better every time I read it. I actually LIKE it now.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdander24 View Post
Maybe I was the one who posted about Diana Gabaldon. ??? I LOVE her series! Like your friend, I was skeptical about the series, because the person who recommended it, did so along with another romance novel, and I don't really read that genre.
THANK GOODNESS I READ IT ANYWAY!!! I didn't start reading her series until after an Echo in the Bone was out, so I got hooked, flew through the series, and then found out she only publishes only every three years or so...WTH?!?!?!?.
I have not only read her outlander series a number of times, but have also read her Lord John series. I AM HOOKED! I got the chance to meet her back in October and had a great time, as well as my books signed. ( I decided against her signing my Sony E-reader, though I was tempted) I check her website weekly for the chance that she will publish excerpts from the 8th book. (told ya I was hooked!) Anyway, I think about them all the time, and can't wait for her next book, as well as the next Lord John series book, due out at the end of this year.
I got my sister hooked on the series as well, though I warned her to take her time getting through the series, so she isn't frustrated.
Anytime you want to talk about Jamie, Claire, Ian, William, etc.... just let me know!
I'm going to take you up on that!

I was jonesing for Outlander and I thought I would be desperate enough to pick up the Lord John series. I wasn't particularly interested in him in the Outlander books, but I'm really craving to read her writing.

It's like I'm spoiled now. She is SUCH an amazing writer, so everyone else seems to pale in comparison.

The thing I fell in love with the most is the idea of time travel. I'm obsessed with time travel so it was fascinating for me to read and think at the same time about how I would fare in the 1700s. It sounds so gross in some ways to be back there, but fabulous in other ways - especially the fresh clean pure air and the good food.

I have so much more to say, but I have to run to work, but I'll be back to this thread!!!

~BreathingSpace~
Old 02-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Echo in the Bone? Ack! I've missed one?! After I finish The Last Narco, I'm heading to the library or used book store for Echo.

Years ago there was talk of a TV miniseries. I've been waiting and waiting!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Echo in the Bone? Ack! I've missed one?! After I finish The Last Narco, I'm heading to the library or used book store for Echo.

Years ago there was talk of a TV miniseries. I've been waiting and waiting!
yeah, there was talk of a movie too. Echo in the Bone, last one, hurry and read it! Well, no hurry actually, apparently the newest one won't be out for at least another year :-(
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #12  
No Excuses

S/C/G: 169.8/159/135

Height: 5'4

I just discovered this series last October. I have them all on my kindle now. I am obsessed!! I think Diana is an amazing writer, you can tell she puts a lot of effort into her books. I want a new one ASAP!!

How do you guys like the Lord John series? Are they as good? I actually liked him in the books, and am desperate for more writing from her.
luposlipaphobia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #13  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I love these books! I'm about 3/4 of the way through Echo... I don't want anyone to die!!! ACK! I agree her books could use a little more editing, just MHO, she tends to be a bit long winded. Over all a great series though... does anyone else wish they had their own Jamie? LoL

The Lord John series is good too but also takes some time to get into.

Tea Granny - I bet ya she doesn't... have you ever seen a picture of her?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #14  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I have said it, but I LOVE Lord John Series! I originally read it thinking I could get more of the Outlander story, but it really does stand on its own. It feels different, but I can see the draw. It takes place during the same time, as Outlander, but definitely has its own twists.
Some advice: Make sure you go to the website and check out the LJG timeline. It is a series of short stories and Novellas, and can get confusing if not read in the right order.

cbmare - DONT rush through Echo! The new one will not be out until AT LEAST 2012, probably, 2013. She takes a LONG time writing.

Breathingspace - I think what gets me about it is the historical aspect of everything. Whenever anyone asks what time period I am drawn to, it is the 1700's. I have been fascinated with the history on both sides of the Atlantic.

There have been talks of a Movie, and a studio has purchased rights, but that is as far as it has gone yet. I am hoping for the mini-series, as way too much stuff would be edited out I'm sure.
Have you read some of the short stories written as part of Anthologies? There are a few out there, and they are pretty good, but they are back stories, mostly. One is Songs of Love and Death, and is the story of what happened to Rogers dad. It ties in a bit with what happens in echo and what will happen in Book 8.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I found Dragonfly in Amber at a book sale one year and bought it...maybe 25 or 50 cents.
I put off reading it but then read it. Loved it! Realized that I was in the middle of a series though....so I went to the library and found the first and read it. Then discovered others. I think I've read all of them except the Voyager one? I think that is the one the library did not have...
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote