South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #1  
TLK

Default New to 3FC

Hi. My name is Teri, and I am a newbie here. I'm 54, weigh 210, and stand 5'6". Five years ago my DH had a series of strokes and I became a full-time caregiver. He passed away about two years ago, and I'm finally ready to start taking care of myself again. I'm starting South Beach - I had used it years ago, and it really changed my eating habits. But that was before everything else... so I'm going back to it.

I'm just on Day 3 but have found it really tough. I have no hunger at all, but the emotional cravings are intense. I thought I was going to sail through Phase 1, till I went grocery shopping yesterday. I walked in the door and smelled the baked goods. It went down hill from there. But I managed to only put the right foods in my cart, promising myself sugar-free fudgesicles at the end. Except -- the store didn't have them. All they had were sf Eskimo pies, so I bought them, even though I know they're over the calorie limit. When I left the store I started feeling sorry for myself not being able to stop in Starbucks to say hi to my friends and get my much-loved nonfat chai latte. So, by the time I got home -- I ended up eating the entire box of Eskimo pies in one night.

Not a great day. Oh, well. Today has been better.

I've also started doing the Couch25K system to get myself exercising again.

I've been lurking for a few days, and am looking forward to getting to know all of you better. TTYL
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #2  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Teri!

First of all, I am very sorry for your struggles and loss. It's a shame when people have to go through such pain. However, I know you MUST be a strong woman if you can get through all of that!

And don't worry about the Eskimo Pies. When you fall off the wagon, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and hop back on board! No one here will judge (especially not me..... I fall off a LOT and have for years.) Good for you for taking charge of your life again!!! We can only do our best, and we're human. You can totally do this. It can be a bumpy road at times (especially when we smell certain foods) but it's totally worth it physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Please post in the daily thread so we can get to know you better! And if you ever have any questions, need help, or just need someone to listen, we're always here!!!

Lisa
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8"

Hi Teri and welcome. I too am so sorry for what you have been through and am proud of you for taking positive steps for yourself. Don't worry about the eskimo pies. One thing that helps is to really be able to plan ahead and maybe that means finding out where they sell sf fudgsicles. We have such a great group here so come and post your menus on the on plan thread and check in with us on the daily thread, and start any new threads with questions, etc. I know I couldn't do it on my own without the support here.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! I've fallen off the wagon more than a few times myself. But the longer I go staying on plan, the easier it is
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, Terri! We're happy to meet you and have you joining us here. I hope you take the time to look around our forum, especially the FAQ section where you'll find helpful information and hints. Check out our recipe section, too, for some tasty menu ideas for each Phase of this plan. Please feel free to join in any thread and don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find the answer in the FAQs. Everyone here is eager and willing to help.

As for your Eskimo Pie experience, I've been there many times myself. I do find it helpful to have a healthy snack before I do my grocery shopping; and when you go by the bakery section, take in a deep sniff, say 'mmmm, that was delicious', and go on your way. You won't gain any weight just by inhaling the scents, and sometimes that's all it takes to quench the cravings.

One final thing, go ahead and enjoy your beloved nonfat chai latte, as long as it's sugar free.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #6  
TLK

I didn't know they came in sugar free. Wow do I feel better!
Thanks.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/212.6/140

Welcome!!!!!
tanner'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:08 AM   #8  
Mous

I am so sorry for your loss and the struggles that you are facing right now.

You are not alone and this fine group of Beachers are the best to help you along this journey.

Come chat at our daily and get inspired and motivated. Marcie
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, Teri! I'm so sorry for your loss. That must have been a very difficult time for you.

Glad you're here!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Welcome and welcome again!!

Emotional cravings are (apparently) a huge road block for me too, though I didn't realize how badly they were until recently. Hang out here - it's a wonderful supportive place!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Teri! Welcome! Sending you virtual hugs and kudos for deciding to join in with our group.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote