Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #1  
Soon We'll Be Complete

Default You have a pretty face....

I swear this has to be the most irratating compliment a heavy girl can receive.

It kills me every time I hear it...I have heard it my ENTIRE LIFE. I just for once, hopefully very soon, will be complimented on SOMETHING other than my face...

I know the person saying it thinks it's a compliment, but my brain twists it into a "I should just be a floating head then I'd be beautiful, then no one would have look at anything "below the neck" on me ever again.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

That's the worst compliment ever. Why can't they just say "you're pretty" instead of "certain parts of you are pretty and the rest of you is off-limits to comment" you know? Urgh.

I'm sorry!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I used to hate "you don't look too bad for someone who's had a baby." Good to know I don't look "too bad" on a more lenient scale. I can only assume that if I looked the way I did and HADN'T had a baby they'd be telling me I was a beast.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I've gotta be honest here...I've said that before to overweight woman and man. I've also had it said to me when I was at my heaviest. I think it's all in how you perceive it and its intention. I'm not big on dishonesty and think it does NOTHING beneficial for all parties involved to say something you don't honestly feel.

That said, when I would say that "you've got a really pretty face" comment, what I really meant was, "you've already won half the battle...". I assume that's what was meant by those same comments directed at me. I never took offense, cuz IMHO...it's TRUE! I don't feel my body looked anything spectacular and I would actually be HURT if someone lied to my face and told me something they didn't actually believe.

After all..it's only FAT...you CAN lose it! Now skin color...or height...or even shoe size...not much to do about that...but comments about things I have the power to change...and that may actually be true..don't bother me. Inner beauty, and how kind we are in our ACTIONS for others is what really determines how BEAUTIFUL a person is anyways...

Just my take though.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

Just wait awhile, one day you'll hear you look great "for your age" LOL
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #6  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I have been saying this for a long time now. "You have a pretty face" too bad the rest of you looks like ****! I hate that too!
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 AM   #7  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
I swear this has to be the most irratating compliment a heavy girl can receive.

It kills me every time I hear it...I have heard it my ENTIRE LIFE. I just for once, hopefully very soon, will be complimented on SOMETHING other than my face...

I know the person saying it thinks it's a compliment, but my brain twists it into a "I should just be a floating head then I'd be beautiful, then no one would have look at anything "below the neck" on me ever again.
Oh I know I hate that! BTW...your little baby is so adorable!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/144/104

Height: 5'1"

it makes me feel worse when i can't say the same thing about them lol... i'm mean
brokengently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokengently View Post
it makes me feel worse when i can't say the same thing about them lol... i'm mean
Oh snap!.
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #10  

This is what I tell people that say I have a pretty face:
"Well, thank you, and while we are on the subject, I notice you have a pretty face too...sort of."

They don't know what to say.
JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

I think it is worse when they can't even say your face is pretty - "your eyes are pretty". Yep, I get that a lot and it hurts.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #12  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

For the life of me I can't figure out why so many woman feel they've gotta decode a compliment. "You've got a pretty face"...means just that...the viewer feels your face is pretty. It is not a phrase that needs "decoding". It doesn't mean that "you've got an ugly body" or "what a shame/waste the rest of you doesn't look as good" or any other decoded message.

We NEED to listen to what people say and stop READING too far into it.

Just my opinion...I guess I listen sometimes to the complaints of Men about Woman...and this one I'll have to agree with! Geez!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodforme View Post
Why can't they just say "you're pretty" instead

My original comment still stands. I don't say things to other women like "I love your jacket" I'll say "I love your outfit." It seems when someone singles out a part, they do it on purpose.

Last edited by goodforme; 01-27-2011 at 03:23 PM.
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 246/220/146

Height: 5'5

I've heard this so many times, we're more than just a pretty face!
tarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #15  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

You know, I have no problem with "you have such a pretty face". I do have a pretty face. I'll have a pretty face when I'm thinner too. There's a big difference between that and adding a qualifier at the end.

We're often so involved with our own insecurities that we hear criticism where there isn't any. "You look great" sets off a firestorm of thoughts of "You must have thought I was hideous before..." in some people.

The world really isn't out to get us because we're fat.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote