Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/125

Height: 5'1"

Exclamation Phase 1- why are they restricted?

Does anyone know why we the following 0-carb/1-2 carb items are not allowed on phase 1?

Sugar free gum
Red wine vinegar
Yellow squash (spaghetti)
Diet soda/crystal light
Seltzer

I'm in week 4 and all my favorite "avoid real cheat" items are a no-no. Will they really hurt my weight loss effort?

Help
NowatkaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'3"

I was told that anything with aspartame on it may cause a slow to no weight loss. However if you find any gum with splenda and 0 carbs 0 cals, you are fine. Same thing with crystal light. If it has splenda is okay as long as it's 0 cals 0 carbs. The diet soda and the seltzer I remember reading something about the carbonation, even if it has splenda, but maybe someone else can clarify this for us. A far as the squash and the red wine vinegar I don't have an answer. There are many experts on this forum. If you don't get any more answers on your thread, it might be a good idea to post it on the daily thread.
Coqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 161/143.6/124

Height: 5'4"

I use crystal light every single day. I take 1 to go packet (i think it's only intended for 8 - 12 oz) and i put it in my 64oz jug. Gives my water just enough flavor. Hasn't slowed me down...well as far as i can tell anyway.
amber2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowatkaL View Post
Does anyone know why we the following 0-carb/1-2 carb items are not allowed on phase 1?

Sugar free gum
Red wine vinegar
Yellow squash (spaghetti)
Diet soda/crystal light
Seltzer

I'm in week 4 and all my favorite "avoid real cheat" items are a no-no. Will they really hurt my weight loss effort?

Help

The gum is not approved by some coaches because many people have a gum chewing habit and could have too many hidden carbs if they use the wrong gum. Also because many people will slip away from approved gums to gums with aspartame or sugar alcohols which do effect the pancreas. AND because chewing gum can stimulate appetites for some which can increase hunger and lead to cravings.

Red wine vinegar is a bit of an unknown. The answers I got were: it may change body acidity too much and this diet helps keep us more to the alkaline side. I also was told, if it is a 0/0/0 product with no sugars in the ingredients, you may use it in moderation. Don't make it your go to vinegar.

Yellow summer squash and crooked neck are allowed. Spaghetti squash has been allowed by some coaches as an occasional item. It is not on the list and no winter squashes are allowed.

I was told by my regional director that there are too many veggies to list on the sheet. The list the more common and preferred ones. If you find a vegetable that is of the same general makeup (protein/carbs/fat/sugars/fiber) and has a low glycemic index value - use it. To do that you would have to be willing to do some research about the foods you eat and, he thought many people don't want to put in that work, they just want to be told. Here is a link to a site that give you many of the pieces to decide if things are common enough to try adding. If in doubt, use something occasionally and in small portion.
www.nutritiondata.com

Diet soda is not advised NOT because of the aspartame but because it will cause your body to become more acidic which is counter to the goals of this diet.

Crystal light is allowed by some coaches and not by others. The reasons given are they don't want clients using aspartame. WHY? Because it has been learned that the body recognizes it as a sugar. It doesn't retrain itself as easily to become more insulin sensitive in the presence of aspartame as it does with splenda or stevia. Some people have found crystal light with splenda. In this case it is a decision by you and your coach.

Seltzer is often not recommended because of carbonation and sodium. If you can find one that works, use it. I have done fine with sparkling water.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/125

Height: 5'1"

Thank you thank you thank you!
NowatkaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222.1/206.9/140

Height: 5'6"

I have found a brand called 4C, which uses splenda as its sweetener. It works just like crystal light, but without the aspartame! However, not all grocery stores carry this brand. Try going to several stores to check for it.
CC Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245.6/193.4/180.0 IP 10/17/10

Height: 5' 8"

Wal-Mart where I live carries the 4C Splenda packets located in the same place as crystal light.
cmsgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote