Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Default IP Daily Chat Thursday, 27 January 2011

Welcome and welcome back to the Daily Chat thread -- introduce yourself, post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-Scale Victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page

3FATCHICKS Forum Technical Stuff

Tickers and signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have
  • been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days
  • AND
  • posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum.
When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread
for more information and instructions.

Search: If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using Google. More information is here in this Search tip using Google

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Other helpful links

Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's website

PDF file of Dr. Tran Tien Chanh's book, The Unbalanced Diet Approach to a Slimmer You

Here is a link back to yesterday's conversation:

daily chat Jan. 26, 2011
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225.6/224.2/145

Height: 5'5"

Okay, after my tsp of tartar sauce and drizzle of ranch dressing lapse yesterday (on day 4), I had a day perfectly on program today. But I'm feeling a couple of things and want to check in with everyone. 1) I have a weird taste in my mouth all the time. 2) I still have very little energy, I tried to do my walk today and I was just wiped out before I even started. 3) I am cold all the time. 4) I'm not sleeping very well. 5) I'm constantly thirsty. 6) Now not going to the bathroom.
I have been using salt after I got lightheaded yesterday and the Doc told me to take it.
Does anybody know why our blood pressure falls on this diet? It's one of the major reasons I'm doing it - to lower my blood pressure - but does anybody know why this happens?
Also, I'm a Type II diabetic that has lowered my Blood Sugars to almost normal through diet and exercise. I lost 41 lbs. following low carb - I haven't eaten a slice of pizza, pasta, rice, most desserts or alcohol in 5 years since I was diagnosed. And I exercise 45 -60 minutes on my treadmill every night. So I'm no stranger to discipline. But even after all of that, I then developed high blood pressure. I have to take thyroid meds every day - but I don't want to take any other meds. So this diet and the health benefits mean a great deal to me.
Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated!
esammy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
Okay, after my tsp of tartar sauce and drizzle of ranch dressing lapse yesterday (on day 4), I had a day perfectly on program today. But I'm feeling a couple of things and want to check in with everyone. 1) I have a weird taste in my mouth all the time. 2) I still have very little energy, I tried to do my walk today and I was just wiped out before I even started. 3) I am cold all the time. 4) I'm not sleeping very well. 5) I'm constantly thirsty. 6) Now not going to the bathroom.
I have been using salt after I got lightheaded yesterday and the Doc told me to take it.
Does anybody know why our blood pressure falls on this diet? It's one of the major reasons I'm doing it - to lower my blood pressure - but does anybody know why this happens?
Also, I'm a Type II diabetic that has lowered my Blood Sugars to almost normal through diet and exercise. I lost 41 lbs. following low carb - I haven't eaten a slice of pizza, pasta, rice, most desserts or alcohol in 5 years since I was diagnosed. And I exercise 45 -60 minutes on my treadmill every night. So I'm no stranger to discipline. But even after all of that, I then developed high blood pressure. I have to take thyroid meds every day - but I don't want to take any other meds. So this diet and the health benefits mean a great deal to me.
Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated!
You sure are no stranger to discipline, either in health or profession. I'll take a stab at your questions and I'm sure others will be helpful, too.

Bad taste = ketosis. Congratulations. Lose the exercise for the time being, at least 40-60 minutes on the treadmill. 15 maybe, at a gentle pace? You don't have the calories to support exercise right now or the acclimation to the program to support anything at all even slightly strenuous. Strenuous burns muscle, as in heart muscle, among others.

You'll see a reoccurring theme here: listen to your body. You've already mastered that, that's why you're picking up on all the signals, like being cold. It comes with the territory and is probably compounded by hypothyroidism and, possibly, low humidity. (Good grief, I just looked up the humidity in LA [40%] and gasped. 24 degrees? Then I realized this crazy internet connection was giving me Celcius rather than Farenheit.) The sleeping is totally unpredictable, as far as I can tell from what others have posted. Some sleep like lambs; others count sheep. I was in the latter category and I'm sorry you are, too. But it passes.

Thirst is a combination of at least three things. Type 2; hypo; and the need to flush toxins out of your system. Give into it, in spades. A good rule of thumb is to drink 1/2 ounce of water for every pound you weigh plus 10 ounces to add to the flushing. If you believe the "at least 64 ounces a day" dictum you're up a dry creek. And the occurrence of constipation also goes with the territory because there's so little fiber in the IP products (a constant complaint of mine); and even if you eat high fiber vegetables you'll only get 10-12 grams a day. You need 25 or more. Novi-lax, an IP product, seems to work well for most people.

Lower blood pressure -- I hope someone more knowledgeable will jump in. I have normally low blood pressure and when it dropped to 95/55 early on I was too concerned about getting it higher to think about much other than that. But it's true that you probably take in at least 1/2 the sodium you would normally, even though you add it for light-headedness.

And I made an assumption above that may not be correct. I assumed that when you said you were taking thyroid medication you meant for hypothyroidism. If that was wrong, please ignore what I said. If I was right, then you need to be aware of some serious implications regarding the program. One, soy reduces the effectiveness of thyroid medicine and there are only 4 IP products that don't have soy in them. Two, you should never eat goitrogenic vegetables raw. Many of the allowed vegetables fall into this category. And three, calcium negates or diminishes the effectiveness of thyroid medicine depending on when it's taken. Should be at least 6 hours after taking your medicine although some people here have been advised that 4 hours is OK. You really need the magnesium and potassium supplements, with their calcium, so make sure you space them pretty far from the medication.

I hope this helps. Later today I intend to post something else about hypothyroidism and the IP Program. Just need to be somewhere now. Cheers.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/lowest185/now200/160

Height: 5'6"

I found something good to put in my coffee since I'm not able to use RTDs..
Silk Pure Almond Milk, unsweetened. I cup 35 cal, fat 2.5g, carbs 1 and fiber 1 (net carbs 0???) What do you think, is this even better than skim milk ? and it says 50 % more calcium than milk..

Last edited by bulleriina; 01-27-2011 at 07:24 AM.
bulleriina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #5  
Started IP 01/10/11

S/C/G: 289.4/192.6/200

Height: 5'11"

Good morning all IPer's, here is to a 100% day. I have WI #3 and am thinking it will be good. I could add restricteds at this point but have decided to not add them and just keep course with what I have been doing.

Everyone is so supportive and helpful. Thanks to all! Have the will power and discipline for a 100% protocol day!
juiceman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247 / 247 / 180

Height: 5'6

Good morning all IP'ers!!!

I hope you all had an excellent day yesterday and I wish the same for today!!
I FINALLY got a....SIGNATURE WOUHOU! I feel official now LOL

First of all...today I am in a GREAT MOOD! I don't know why I just woke up and I had a smile on my face..lol

Last night our friend called my boyfriend and I and asked if we wanted to go on a road trip in May to South Carolina to go visit some friends!!! I am psyched last time we saw them was two years ago in Vegas ...we had the chance to meet them since the guy was on the same hockey team as our friend!!!
Anywhoooo.....WOUHOU now THIS gives me MOTIVATION to lose some more weight so I could look good and enjoy myself and not be self conscious of what I look like while being around thin / skinny hot people for a week!!! on top of that 2 years ago was my heaviest so it will be one heck of a before and after!!

One day at a time and WE CAN DO THIS
Have a great day...YA'LL (I have to start practicing lolol )
CutieEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #7  
IP Start Feb 5/16

S/C/G: 338.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Good moring all.

Sending good vibes to everyone.

Things have been going well, dispite the winter blahs. My husband who has been in manintanance since Nov is still holding strong and has found his grove.
My sister who started IP in December had a bit of a slow start and felt discouraged at first. She had a wonderful WI yesterday, WI #4 -7lbs! I am so happy for her. I'm holding steady at aprox 3lbs/week and I am thrilled!! I love this program. I'll be honest, there are times when my will power is challenged, but all I have to do is look back to where I was 8 months and 114lbs ago, I don't want to go back there.

Have a wonderful day all
Ronda
Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #8  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by esammy12 View Post
1) Welcome to ketosis! I thought it was the food at first that was making my mouth taste like that, until I researched ketosis.
2) It'll get better, but your body is running on a different kind of fuel. Let it adjust.
3) Welcome to Ideal Protein! I was never cold before (too much padding!) but now I'm chilly a lot.
4) I'm sorry to hear this, as Linden said, lots don't sleep well, and others sleep better than they have in years. I switch back and forth, and when I can't sleep, I have started reading older posts until my eyes hurt.
5) Drink TONS of water! I try to average 120-130oz. a day. Some days I don't get there, but I sure do try.
6) The lettuce and the water help. Don't skimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I hope this helps. Later today I intend to post something else about hypothyroidism and the IP Program. Just need to be somewhere now. Cheers.
Hope Germany is treating you better! Thanks for sharing so much of your (obviously vast) knowledge with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulleriina View Post
I found something good to put in my coffee since I'm not able to use RTDs..
Silk Pure Almond Milk, unsweetened. I cup 35 cal, fat 2.5g, carbs 1 and fiber 1 (net carbs 0???) What do you think, is this even better than skim milk ? and it says 50 % more calcium than milk..
The fat is kinda high, but I'd say if you do chicken or fish for your protein, it should be ok. Not exactly on protocol. Have you tried the vanilla ready to drink? Lots of us love it and it's 100% A-ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman11 View Post
Good morning all IPer's, here is to a 100% day. I have WI #3 and am thinking it will be good. I could add restricteds at this point but have decided to not add them and just keep course with what I have been doing.

Everyone is so supportive and helpful. Thanks to all! Have the will power and discipline for a 100% protocol day!
Can't wait to hear about your weigh-in!
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #9  
Loving the Sleeved Life

S/C/G: 267/252/133.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieEli View Post

First of all...today I am in a GREAT MOOD! I don't know why I just woke up and I had a smile on my face..lol

Last night our friend called my boyfriend and I and asked if we wanted to go on a road trip in May to South Carolina to go visit some friends!!! I am psyched last time we saw them was two years ago in Vegas ...we had the chance to meet them since the guy was on the same hockey team as our friend!!!
Anywhoooo.....WOUHOU now THIS gives me MOTIVATION to lose some more weight so I could look good and enjoy myself and not be self conscious of what I look like while being around thin / skinny hot people for a week!!! on top of that 2 years ago was my heaviest so it will be one heck of a before and after!!

Yay for the ticker and yay for the road trip and yay for the good mood! Your posts always make me smile. What an excellent motivation/reward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Good moring all.

Sending good vibes to everyone.

Things have been going well, dispite the winter blahs. My husband who has been in manintanance since Nov is still holding strong and has found his grove.
My sister who started IP in December had a bit of a slow start and felt discouraged at first. She had a wonderful WI yesterday, WI #4 -7lbs! I am so happy for her. I'm holding steady at aprox 3lbs/week and I am thrilled!! I love this program. I'll be honest, there are times when my will power is challenged, but all I have to do is look back to where I was 8 months and 114lbs ago, I don't want to go back there.

Have a wonderful day all
Ronda
Holy Moly! 114 poounds in 8 months, so awesome and inspirational. I love that your family has joined you on IP and that they're doing well.

AFM- I so dreamed about you all last night and we were playing beach volleyball! VERY welcome change from dreams about food and falling off the wagon. Twin terrors are playing with my silver packets and Izzie (Isabelle/Izzie and Anabelle/Annie) is making them fly like airplanes and saying "Weeee! Weeee!" That's how I feel about them, too!
Joliebug82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 195.5/172/155

Good morning fellow IPer's
I am off for my first WI this morning and so pumped! I have stuck to the program like glue and hope that all my hard work pays off.
I must admit that I am a bit sluggish these days. I walk the dogs each morning for 20-30 minutes and dragging my behind almost the whole way; I hope my energy level increases because my dogs look back at me with rolling eyes as if to say..come on already!
I will come back on an let you know how well I did (being very positive)! I know something has happened because I can already feel a difference in my clothes.woo hoo.

PS: Very new to forums so do not know you you get all of your lovely emotiocons on your posts...???
heamacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #11  
Jess

S/C/G: 282.4/228.1/165

Quote:

Good luck!
tbf410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 161/143.6/124

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post

AFM- I so dreamed about you all last night and we were playing beach volleyball! VERY welcome change from dreams about food and falling off the wagon. Twin terrors are playing with my silver packets and Izzie (Isabelle/Izzie and Anabelle/Annie) is making them fly like airplanes and saying "Weeee! Weeee!" That's how I feel about them, too!
OMG that is TOOO cute!!!! love this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieEli View Post

HA HA Ya'll that is too funny! congrats on the ticker..I felt the same way. and ya for road trips! so much more comfortable to sit for long periods of time when thinner! That is awesome that you are gonna have that moment like in the cartoons when the wolf sees the hot chic and jumps up and his eyes pop out of his head when you see your friends! good times!!!

Quote:

looking forward to hearing how well you have done!!!
amber2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 161/143.6/124

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by heamacd View Post
Good morning fellow IPer's
I am off for my first WI this morning and so pumped! I have stuck to the program like glue and hope that all my hard work pays off.
I must admit that I am a bit sluggish these days. I walk the dogs each morning for 20-30 minutes and dragging my behind almost the whole way; I hope my energy level increases because my dogs look back at me with rolling eyes as if to say..come on already!
I will come back on an let you know how well I did (being very positive)! I know something has happened because I can already feel a difference in my clothes.woo hoo.
WOO HOO good luck! bet you will be pleasantly surprised!!!

Yesterday...well i guess i had my first technical cheat I was STARVING!!! my boyfriend hadn't pulled out any meat to defrost like i had asked so i had to wait to get things unfrozen and while that was happening...i had 2 whole hard boiled eggs. I then proceeded to have a pretty decent size chicken thigh that i cooked in the oven...skin and all. to try to counter the extra protein i didn't eat my 3rd packet. so yesterday was a bad day. i got on the scale and it is up .5. prob from the extra fat ... idk. or perhaps just cause my body is getting ready for TOM any minute now. I thought to myself I will just do some exercise to counter the extra protein, but alas i did not. Either way....I am going to be sure to be very good today and make sure that the protein i eat for dinner is lowest in fat. Hopefully this will fix my ooops. and of course this whole time i rationalized it by saying well i'm not eating one of the cookie dough balls that my daughter has so graciously left in the fridge to stare me in the face anytime i look in there. ok that's my rant. had to tell on myself and be accountable...otherwise what's the point.

Have an AWESOME day everyone!!!!
amber2beme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #14  
CBG

S/C/G: 196/163/160

Height: 5'6"

Morning fellow IPer's. Wishing you all the very best IP kinda day...hope it is a great one! The weather here has been fantastic for the end of January. After lots of snow earlier on we are getting a lot of melting happening now. Making me think spring and gardening but know that this is just a teaser before we get another wintery blast!
Going to spend some time outside today with the horses and goats as well as making a couple of batches of soap. Looking forward to my day off regular work!
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 247 / 247 / 180

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber2beme View Post

HA HA Ya'll that is too funny! congrats on the ticker..I felt the same way. and ya for road trips! so much more comfortable to sit for long periods of time when thinner! That is awesome that you are gonna have that moment like in the cartoons when the wolf sees the hot chic and jumps up and his eyes pop out of his head when you see your friends! good times!!!
HAHAHA I knowww I love how you compared it to the cartoons ahahahah
And you are right traveling thin will much more comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliebug82 View Post
Yay for the ticker and yay for the road trip and yay for the good mood! Your posts always make me smile. What an excellent motivation/reward!
Joliebug82 ..Thank you!!! The ticker is awesome I always looked at everyone's and thought WOW that is hard work and dedication and now..I have it too!!!
It will indeed be an excellent reward! and Joliebug I enjoy reading your posts also hihi
CutieEli is offline   Reply With Quote