General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default how do i clean my oven???

ok, i know this is going to sound awful, but i have no idea how to go about cleaning my oven. there is a self clean button on it, but for some reason, i don't know what to expect...and i'm kinda scared i tired asking my mom and she just laughed at me and wouldn't answer my question (her version of trying to be funny).

soooo...do i just hit the button? then what? do i worry about fumes? how long does it take? should i just do it myself? how would i do that?

any advice would be greatly appreciated...

also, there are some stains on the bottom of the oven, grease and other minor spills. what methods have worked best for you?

thanks in advance. sorry for the ridiculous questions. i just want to get it clean already! lol
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #2  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Hey Fillup, if you google "cleaning instructions" and your range model, you'll likely be able to find the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning your oven.

Mine's a Jenn Air, and it's pretty simple. One thing to be sure of is that the kitchen is well ventilated to help get rid of the fumes that will be part of the process.

My manual says:

1. Remove the broiler pan, all pans and the oven racks; wipe the oven frame, door frame and around the opening in the door gasket with a non-abrasive cleaning agent such as Bon Ami or plain detergent and water; wipe up excess grease or spillovers from the oven bottom to prevent smoking, flare-ups or flaming.

2. Close the oven and press the self-cleaning button. My oven locks for the duration (2, 3 or 4 hours depending on which cycle I select - light, medium or heavy soil). After the cycle is done, the oven stays locked for an hour.

3. When you open the door, there may be some powdery ash left behind that can be removed with a damp cloth.

Good luck! Self-cleaning sure beats the old foaming cleanser thing. Enjoy your sparkly oven!

Last edited by Fressca; 01-24-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #3  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Basically your self clean cycle turns the oven on at a really high temperature for a set number of hours which effectively turns most of the gunk in your oven into ash you can just wipe away. Mine never produces any fumes to speak of during the process.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Remember that the oven will stay locked after cleaning has finished because it's blazing hot so don't plan to use it until it has cooled down and unlocked.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

lmfao! I'm sorry but this is a total question I would totally ask as well! I cleaned my first oven a year ago, with some oven cleaner I sprayed it and wipped it down and I was scared to use it for a long time after wards because I thought the fumes from the cleaner would taint my food. :P
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #6  
trying to impress myself

thanks ladies- i thought the same thing- that it would taint my food...lol! (it won't right?) ok, so there is no broiler pan, i'll take out the racks, and i'll be sure to scrape off any big bits of things. unfortunately, my apt is not the most well ventilated so it will prolly stink. the possibility of flare ups sounds kinda awful. but that oven needs a cleaning. ok. will workout, shower, and hop to it! will let you all know how it goes!!!
thanks again
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Mine is not self cleaning.

So I just spray it with water, sprinkle baking soda, let it sit overnight to soak up whatever. Then mist again and wipe it all out with a scrubbie sponge.

I never worry that if I don't rinse all the baking soda out that my food would be tainted. Baking soda is edible and odorless. Takes care to rinse, but a small price to pay.

Those chemical foam things are nasty.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

After you have gotten it clean, if you want to keep the bottom cleaned up you can line it with aluminum foil.
I am extremely allergic to oven cleaner sprays and I have problems with self cleaners giving off fumes too. So I line the bottom and change that when needed. And then make the hubby clean the rest

Last edited by drake3272004; 01-24-2011 at 04:48 PM.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #9  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I keep a large cheap cookie sheet in the bottom of mine. Easier to change out than the aluminum foil.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #10  
trying to impress myself

thank you all for your suggestions
the self clean turned out well! no fumes, although my apt (i live in a larger studio) was pretty hot for a while...there was some ash, but that came off quickly. i can't put aluminum at the bottom, as its an electric stove, and the heat source is right there, so i think what i'll do is put one of the racks as far as it can go and put my largest sheet pan there for any future spills. i never use both racks anyway, i cook for just me

again, thank you for all your help!! and for not laughing at my novice oven cleaning skills

Last edited by fillupthesky; 01-25-2011 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #11  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Brilliant! Enjoy your clean oven
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm so glad you asked!!! I've never had to clean my oven either. I bought my apartment and I've never used it (I only use a toaster oven for oven stuff). Because I had never cleaned it either, I had no incentive to use it.

I'm going to check to see if it's a self-cleaning oven or what and do it this weekend!!!!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote