Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #4

Good morning to you girls. We are supposed to get some snow showers today, ugh! Hopefully they will just spit and that will be it. I always worry when the bad part of the weather is during rush hour when Jack has to drive with these nuts here.

Jean: Boy you are having some really cold temps. Of course, most states have their coldest weather in January I think, but I don't envy you the minus windchills. One of the threads a few years ago Susan and I belonged to up and disappeared overnight. There were several woman on the thread and then poof, nothing. I remember a lady named Carol lost her husband and quit posting, but would peek in, someone with the user name Jello and a few others including Susan. They posted one day and then the next and from then on everyone except Susan was gone. It was weird. Jack says he doesn't want both surgeries at once, but the poor guy can't decide which, his knee or his hand needs it worse. I think he should have the knee done as he has to walk and the hand is his left one and though he does need it for work, it isn't his writing hand and as such could deal with it being out of commission. We got a giggle last night as I told him I thought he ought to just get it all done, but he said no and said, "besides you are NEVER going to shave me again!" He had to have shoulder surgery years ago when he was in the Navy on his right shoulder, which put his right hand out of commission. He had to go to work as the Navy doesn't give you weeks off no matter what and he HAD to shave everyday so I tried it and practically took a layer off. It is hard to do to someone else. You don't know how much pressure to exert, etc because you aren't feeling it against your own skin. He ended up scrunched up shaving himself. It was a sight.

Maggie: Ok, so you know what I sent you was my phone number, right? I have been kind of bored with evening tv. I have to tell you I am really, really sick of all the gay programming on tv. Seems like all the sitcoms they stick some gay couple into it or something. I will not watch that garbage. I also don't watch the reality stuff like American Idol, Survivor, Biggest Loser and stuff like that. I am so over the reality stuff and bored with it. They just keep sticking stuff on tv though. You have all those Real Housewives shows and they are revolting. I mean why air your dirty laundry to millions and show what a horses patooty you are just because you are rich? I stick to mostly House Hunter, Property Virgins, some of the cooking stuff and reruns of shows I like.

Susan: We miss you and hope you are getting better!

Well gals, I need to get some breakfast. Jack made a mess making his this morning so I have that to clean up too. I am done with one sock. Put your sunglasses on for this one! I got the other skein to start the second sock and looked at what the color was named and it was "loud and proud." Boy is that appropriate, but they are great looking socks very primary color. I hope Kelly likes them but then she loves crazy socks and those crazy colored Converse tennies. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kelsock.jpg (25.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by gma22; 01-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and cold again today; we are in some kind of advisory later today. I've been tuning out the weatherman lately so just have to take what comes. I've got the crafty group this afternoon -- makes me giggle every time I think of it because I am the least crafty one in the bunch. It's a nice social time though. I have some over ripe bananas and Bob hinted that banana bread sounded good to him.

"Gma" -- I love Kelly's socks! They are so cool! I have evened up Bob's neckline between haircuts and he swears I am pulling each hair out individually. I need to check and see if I have phone numbers; I'm pretty sure I have Maggie's unless it has changed since her move to KS.

Maggie -- What are you cooking today?

Susan -- I do hope you are on the mend and feeling better.

I'm off to get my nails done and mail some church birthday cards. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy the day.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly 15 degree day that feels like 4 because of the wind chill. We got an ice covering all over yesterday and then last night it snowed so there are slick conditions for sure. Will has gone to the hospital now. Just got picked up by a friend that has a car to take him. He didn't know how difficult it might be to get in and out of the Jeep right after his operation. I know he will manage tomorrow to get in out of it. He is that way. He has already figured out how he can get down and up the stairs here in the house. I had been in here and posted before and when I went to leave my internet connection went south. Just poof went my post. Will got hold of the company just before he left and they said they were down for unknown reasons and would call as soon as they were back up. They got back up quickly for it wasn't long after Will left that they called me to tell me. I have chicken soup out thawing for dinner. Poor Will didn't get to have any breakfast and his coffee he surely missed. He did make some and brought it to me here in my office like he does every morning. What a guy. After I leave here I am going to work on my glass project.

DONNA FAYE I love that sox. It is so bright and pretty and I am sure she will just absolutely love it also. Her feet will have a party. Gives me an idea to make you a building with a sign on it that says "Sox Shop." Susan has a quilt shop and I have a glass shop. Maybe Jean should have a secretarial shop. Good idea, eh. We don't hardly watch any TV. I think we need our heads examined for even buying one again after being without for about 5 years. There are other places to get the news and we don't find much else that we want to watch. We have that big flat screen to watch movies on and the blue ray ones are great on it. And don't forget the surround sound with the speakers on the walls. They are little, about 3x5. Remember the huge speakers we had to use for the "stereo" system. Now they can package great sound in small containers.

JEAN & SUSAN Hope y'all are having a good day this beautiful cold day.

Going to work on my glass now. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #4  

Maggie -- I assume, from reading your post, that Will has had his surgery today. I hope all went well for him. Will he be home tonight or will they keep him? Glad your internet disruption was temporary as that's always frustrating. Looking at the times we posted, we were close. Great minds think alike.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

JEAN
Yes Will had his surgery today and they kept him a couple hours in the recovery room and they aren't keeping in the hospital overnight. He got out about an hour ago and his friend came by to pick up one of my "sticks" for him to use and some money to stop by and pick up the meds that the doc perscribed. I heated up a packet of chicken soup that I had in the freezer for dinner. He isn't supposed to eat anything "spicey" just yet. I just worked on my glass all day.

Type at y'all later.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #6  

Good evening, ladies! Its still 38 degrees but there is talk of snow in the forecast.

I'm feeling better but still getting tired easily. I had to go to work yesterday to make up for Tuesday and then today and then I had a 3 hour shift at my second job. That one is easy, just sitting waiting for someone to come in so I can direct them and answering the phone. I'm working there tomorrow all day.

I need to get to bed now so I can get up for that. I'll do personals tomorrow or Saturday.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #7  

Good snowy morning ladies. We got some snow yesterday afternoon and evening and I let Fortune out just a minute ago and it looks a bit slippery, but not too much. I have to take Jack to work this morning so will wear my crocs. They do great in winter weather.

Woohoo today is haircut day. My hair has been driving me nuts for over a month at least, but I wanted it to grow out so that it could be "fixed." I thought I would grow it out and see if I could get a wedge/bob cut, but I discovered I just do not like longer hair. I would also have to put a lot of work into it because I have enough curl in my hair to require a lot of blowdrying/styling. I am more of a dry and go kind of gal.

I saw this morning as I was balancing my checkbook that the deposit for our refund will be in the bank Monday night so we can start getting stuff done now, which is great. I guess we will start shopping for the loveseat recliner and the dryer. Hopefully Lowes can get in here and get it installed fairly quickly next week sometime. I, in the meantime have to pull the old dryer out and sweep and steam mop and move stuff so they can put it in. Doesn't it irritate you that you have to pay extra for the electric cord and the vent on a dryer? I asked about using the cord from our old dryer, which is like new and she said it voids the warranty. Well, what is voids is an extra $25 in their pocket along with the $25 for the vent!

Susan: Glad you are feeling better. Yep, the snow we got is coming right at you. I talked to my dil yesterday and she said they are down to a foot of snow now, but that everything is ice now because it rained and then froze so they still have a big mess up there.

Jean: I will send you my phone number by email so you have it. Jack's hair is off limits to me too! He doesn't trust me to even trim his neckline! Do you put nuts in your banana bread? I never have in mine because I prefer it without. Jack won't eat it at all so I can do what I like with it when I make it. He hates bananas.

Maggie: Hope Will is feeling ok after his surgery. I think Jack was in the recovery room about an hour or so and then went home with this wonderful cooling machine attached to his knee to keep swelling down, which it did and kept the pain down too. When Jack has tests or bloodwork done or a procedure, he is famished too. We leave the drs office and run by Mcds to get him food he is so hungry.

It is time for Jack and I to have another eye exam and new contacts and we got letters just yesterday saying our optometrist has left Walmart and went somewhere else and took our records. Well, luckily, the place she went to takes our vision insurance so we can keep seeing her. I am glad because I really like her. She is really nice and will talk to you at length about any problem you might be having.

Well girls, I need to go. Jack will be up in an hour and I will have to go and get dressed so I can take him to work. I sure hope they can fix the Grand marquis without huge expense so I can have my car back! Have a good weekend all. This is commissary weekend so you know I am looking forward to that! Faye
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is snowing hard at the moment and has been for about an hour. I have a haircut this morning and need to pick up a few things at the store. I'm sure everyone else in town will have the same idea, as it is "crazy idiots out Friday."

Susan -- I'm glad to see you, but sorry you had to work two days in a row. Maybe that will be your regular schedule for awhile, I forget. I hope you continue to feel better and can get plenty of rest!

"Gma" -- Enjoy your new "do!" It seems like my hair is just fine one day and all out of whack the next. I hope you find a loveseat that you like and can get the dryer asap. I thought dryers came with cords. I do put nuts in banana bread if I have them on hand. Bob would eat nuts in everything if he has a choice.

Maggie -- Is it still snowing at your house?

I don't want to go outside, but I need to get going! It's -18 wind chill and I'll have to wear my boots . . . again. Hope you all have a pleasant day and do something, for yourself, that you enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 01-21-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day here in the Heartland but no snow. Will is doing quite well limping about. He said he is going to go to Wal*Mart and buy a cane. Mine that I have is about 3-4 inches too short for him and it gets tireing using the stick for it is just straight. My "sitck" is one like the police use in India and it is carried as part of their uniform. It is 4 feet long. It looks like bamboo and is some type of plant like it, but is extremely hard and you can't cut it with a knife. They use them for crowd and animal control and such. I use mine for hiking. Will used to have a longer one but it got stolen when some of his things disappeared. I can see Beanie laying on a pillow in the hallway all curled up taking a nap looking so adorable. It is a pillow that Ragg Mopp took out of a doggie bed when he was a baby and always used it ouside of the bed. Beanie has confiscated it as his own now and it is his day time sleeping bed. Beanies night time bed remains under a chair in the bedroom. When Beanie isn't sleeping on the pillow Ragg Mopp still plays his game with it. He puts a ball in the middle of it then grabs the edge of the pillow and slings his head and the ball goes flying. Then he has fun finding where it landed. Every once in awhile it gets washed. I am so glad they have learned to share and to get along. My glass building is looking good. I have the wall pieces tacked together and will do some soldering and assembling it to day. It is going to be a real cute barn when finished. Maybe I can take a picture and figure out how to put it on this thread when it is done. Well see.

DONNA FAYE So you get your hair cut this day. That should be fun to have a "do" once again. Let us know how it turns out please. I am so pleased that you finally get to get a new dryer. That will make it so much easier to do your laundry for sure. There are always surprises under old appliances. Used to be cat toys for us.

JEAN OOOO that is cold there. Warming up a bit here. I put nuts in my banana bread. It is so good toasted the next day. Will likes nuts also ~ must be related to Bob. They like us don't they. I have a real good recipe called "Orange Banana Nut Bread." It is 4 P+ Points and worth it. Great for breakfast. Toast a slice, spread with low fat cream cheese (I use the WW little packets of CC) and sliced strawberries, peaches or kiwi. It is one that stays with me through the morning. I cook the bread in my bread machine but you can also do it in the oven. If you want the recipe I will type it up for you. It is a good make ahead and freezes well bread. So I slice it up and double wrap the slices and put them all in a plastic bag and they really do freeze well.

SUSAN So glad that you are back to work and feeling somewhat better. Still take it slow and steady and get fully well.

Gonna do some glass works. Have a lovely day all of y'all.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #10  

Maggie -- I would like to have the recipe, please! I have a pumpkin bread recipe that is so good, but it makes 3 loaves. I never thought of slicing them and then freezing. Good idea! I got the recipe from one of my Kdg. mothers so have had it for many years; have not made it for years either. Glad to know that Will is on the mend; I hope WM as a cane for him as our WM has quit carrying many, many items that I would consider to be good sellers.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Recipe

ORANGE BANANA NUT BREAD

PointsPlus™ value: 3
Preheat oven to 350º

2 Cups all-purpose flour
¾ tsp baking soda
1 cup Splenda® (measures like sugar)
½ tsp salt
¼ cup butter, softened
1 ⅓ cup mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
1½ Tbsp grated orange rind
1 tsp canola oil
3 Tbsp fresh orange juice
¼ cup chopped walnuts
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, rind, and juice, beat until blended. Add flour mixture, beat at low speed just until moist. Stir in walnuts, spoon batter into an 8½ x 4½ inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.

Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack, remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 1—16 slice loaf
Serving size: 1 slice

Last edited by Maggie; 01-21-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #12  

Thanks, Maggie! I can do that!
Have any of you seen or tried this??

http://www.instructables.com/id/1-ingredient-Ice-Cream/

Last edited by Jean; 01-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #13  

Good morning to everyone. Looks like everyone is very cold this morning. It is 26 here this morning but supposed to warm up into the 40's. We did get sun yesteday and it melted a lot of what we had. Lots of slick spots on streets where they were shaded by trees so you had to watch out, but overall not so bad as long as you were careful (which the dumbbells here are not) I went out to get my haircut at 10:30 yesterday and on the way way back saw an accident where a car went whizzing over a bridge and slide into the concrete wall and messed up their car but good. We even have signs over the interstate telling everyone to be careful over bridges and they still just go full out over them. We have a lot of really treacherous ones as a lot of the interstate and parkway is up in the air. I had no problems because I slowed down, but I did feel a couple places where my tires slid on a patch on the street.

My dil posted on facebook that Jay went down and turned off the furnace to replace the filter and forgot to turn it back on. They awoke freezing to death. It is 6 degrees there this morning! My poor grandson, they turned him into a popsicle!

Jean: Wow, I will have to try that sometime. I like bananas and I think banana "ice cream" would taste great. You could add other things that blended smooth too it to for different flavors I bet. I wasn't happy when I left the salon yesterday, but I went home and did my hair myself and it looks great so she did give me a good cut. She was an older lady, looked like did all senior clients and when she finished my hair was not how I wanted it, but she had "cut" it the way I wanted it and I just needed to go home and style it myself so I would probably go back to her. She must not be one of their top stylists either because their haircuts start at $40 for this place and she only charges $30, which is twice what I was paying to have it whacked up so I am pleased with that. Maybe now that I have a good cut it will stay that way. I guess I will find out how it does when I was and dry it and style it this morning. I do "finger" styling on my hair because it has great body and I can never need a curling brush on it if it is cut correctly. Nope, be prepared when you have to buy a dryer next time because you have to buy the electrically cord and the venting separately, which is a total rip off IMO. I can't believe how cold it is at your house. I would freeze to death because all I have is my new windbreaker which is good to temps at 20 degrees or above. I do have an ugly hat and gloves. Now I know you are thinking, why doesn't she knit herself a cute pair? I ask myself the same question everytime I make something for someone else, why don't you ever make something for yourself! lol

Maggie: We have mostly dryer lint under our dryer and it needs a good mopping too. I guess it is laziness, but I don't pull out the appliances and clean under them. Our space is so limited it is really difficult to do. I am glad Will is getting around. Jack was up and down yesterday and left work yesterday and he rubbed it right knee all night and said it was hurting. That is the one they FIXED! I kept our crutches and my walker from accidents and such so we at least have that. When I have slipped and fallen in the house, the walker is great to get around in until the knee swelling goes down and such.

Susan: Hope going to work didn't put too much stress on your body since you are still recovering. Hope you are continuing to feel better and feeling stronger everyday.

Today I am doing up the laundry and not much else. Tomorrow is commissary day and I have lots of stuff to get as we are out or almost out of fruit, yogurt, milke etc. Jack wants to start eating Lean Cuisine stuff again for lunches so we have that to get too. Should be a fun day!

Well, I am going to go and wash my hair and dry it and see how it comes out. I colored it on Thursday and she cut a lot of the lovely color off so I may have to recolor in a week or so, we shall see. Have a great Saturday and keep warm! Faye
Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! Another cold morning in my neighborhood, but just a teeny bit warmer than yesterday by 5 degrees. It's bright outside so I am hoping to see some sunshine today. The dishwasher is running and I've got a load of laundry ready to take downstairs when I finish here. I need to bake bars for the Stone Soup Supper at church tomorrow night. Somehow the bell choir got roped into serving this month; it's FREE so "you know who" will show up. Others decided on serving lasagna, some chose garlic bread, and lettuce salad but I opted for bars. It should be interesting.

"Gma" -- I have done the same thing as Jay, but I usually change filters in the morning so catch it sooner rather than later. I'll bet their house was big time cold! I'm glad your haircut turned out to be a good one. I don't know why I waste my time telling my gal what I want done because she does what she wants anyway. I swear she puts a bowl on Bob and he forgets to tell her that he (I) want it shaped to his neck and not a bowl cut! I feel so sorry for Jack with his hurting knees and hand.

Maggie and Susan -- Hope to see you both today!

Well, my chores are not doing themselves so I had better keep moving. Have a super Saturday and enjoy whatever you are going to do today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Chilly Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is chilly all over this USofA this day. I am staying inside this day. I did get that building finished yesterday and it did turn out so cute. I am going to make myself one like it. Only for mine I think I will add a silo to the corner of it. I do believe I have enough red glass to make another. Hope so. Will is getting around so good without any cane or such. I changed is bandages and he just has 3 little holes around his knee. I guess one was for the camera, one for the doc to get his tools in and one for the doc to push the bone sliver out. Anyway it is amazing that they don't have to cut into folks now so much. Just three little holes. He goes in for therapy on the 24th and then his followup is the 31st. Not much on the ticket here this day. I may cut out my pattern for my barn. I sure hope it goes together as nicely as the one I just finsihed. Will just has to get out so he is going to mail some stuff, go to the store for we are just about out of milk, stop by the bamk and going to Mokas and get us a sandwich and me a latte. He just has to get out. I am going to have half of a Chipotle B.L.A.T. which are so good. Half a sandwitch is enough for me. He took my stick to get him over the rough spots in the yard on the way to the car. I think this spring we are going to lay stone down for a walkway from our covered patio out across the back yard to the gate. Sure would make navigating that area better. There is something about the threshold board between my office and the hall that Beanie likes. He wants to chew on it. He wants to chew on everything. Will was wondering were he was getting some things and caught Ragg Mopp knocking them off the table beside where Will sits in the living room. Beanie is waiting at the bottom for goodies to fall. Pencils and paper and whatever. They are working in cahoots together, the little scudders. Puppies do chew.

DONNA FAYE You can be the safest driver on the road and still get into an accident because of the yoyo's that don't get it that you do have to slow down especially in slick conditions. You be safe and ever watchful out there. I am so happy for you that you did end up getting a good hair cut. I am getting ready for a cut real soon. That is a cold night when someone forgets to turn the furnace back on. Burrr. Gives me the chills to think about it.

JEAN Thanks for that web site. That banana thing sure sounds like something we would like and so I am gonna give it a try for sure. I imagine you bake the best bars. What kind are you making this go round? I think I have some recipes that are really good. One especially is called Hello Dolly Bars and with the old WW way of figuring the points they are 2 points apiece. I will have to figure the P+ on them before I make them again.

SUSAN Hope all is well with you this day.

Type at y'all later. Gonna cut out a pattern for a barn now.

PS I just figured the P+ on those bars and it bumped the count up to 3 per bar.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.