Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Birth control and weight loss

So I need to make a decision about birth control in the next several weeks and I was hoping for a little input. I have never been on a hormonal method before, but I really do need to NOT have another baby right now, so it's time. What kind of birth control do you use and how does it effect your weight loss efforts, if you don't mind sharing? TIA.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I use Mirena and I recommend it over birth control pills for many reasons. I have not noticed it impeding my weight loss compared to the pill. I think they both had minimal impact.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I'm getting Mirena in March too! I've only heard great things about it. From the research I've done, I haven't heard any negative remarks regarding weight gain or anything. JessLess, how long have you had it? Is it really as great as everyone says? And...I know this is personal, but can it be felt by your partner? Sorry if that question is TOO personal! But I gotta know!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Married, no worries over STD so it's basically avoiding pregnancy here.

On Orthocyclen -- doing fine, no problems.

Could also use www.tcoyf.com and chart to AVOID conception, but that's never been a primary method. Condoms and the pill have been primaries.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I was on the Depo-Provera shot for years and had no problems with it. I didn't gain weight on it. It was one shot in the behind every three months.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've only had problems with one pill and that was Levlen. Overall, everyone is different so you have to see how a pill works for you. If you notice extreme moodiness or other symptoms, then talk to your doctor. I was a total mess on Levlen, I'd cry at the drop of a hat. I've been taking BCP since I was diagnosed with PCOS ~7 or 8 years ago.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I also have a mirena and LOVE it. Have been on several different pills over about 9 years and have had the mirena for almost 2 years. Highly highly recommend it. My period is so light and is about a day. They say the longer your on it some don't have one at all. And don't have to think about it for 5 years!

Guam- my bf hasn't had any problems "feeling it" my sister has the copper iud (she stays away from hormoes) and her bf could but they just trimmed the wires a little shorter and problem solved. Good luck.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #8  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

At the risk of starting a storm here (PLEASE know it's not my intent), you have to consider different things with different methods of birth control. I am a fan of the pill, but not the mini-pill (which is what they'll put you on since you're breastfeeding.) The pill prevents ovulation 99.98% of the time, the mini pill only 50% of the time the IUD generally doesn't prevent ovulation. The way they prevent pregnancy is by thinning the lining of the uterus so that an egg can't implant if it's fertilized. For me, who believes that life begins at conception, this is a problem. When I'm not breastfeeding I'm ok with the pill, I think that preventing ovulation 99.98% of the time will keep me from conceiving (the idea being that I will only ovulate once every 10 years or so.) When I'm breastfeeding we use condoms, it's the only other form of bc I'm comfortable with in this view. The pill never affected my weight one way or another, and condoms don't either.

Just thought I'd throw all that out there. It was a little distressing to me to learn that neither the mini-pill or an IUD prevented conception.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236 / T(176*) / 145

Height: 5' 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover86 View Post
Guam- my bf hasn't had any problems "feeling it" my sister has the copper iud (she stays away from hormoes) and her bf could but they just trimmed the wires a little shorter and problem solved. Good luck.
I have to admit it is boggling my mind trying to figure out how that would be done...

I've been mulling over the same question though. Still haven't made up my mind, but that's pretty typical for me. I've been using the mini-pill and for the most part it's okay. It's a lower hormone dose which may be better for your body in multiple ways, but you have to take it within 3 hours of the same time. Every single day. Miss a day? Use back-up. So that is definitely something to consider.

There is a similarly themed thread over in the 20-something section you may want to check out if you haven't seen it already. Several others answered about their BC methods and how they've affected their weight-loss efforts (or not, it seems, for most of the responses)
kaebaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Condoms and charting, here. The link between hormonal birth control and uterine and breast cancer is waaaay too strong for me to be comfortable with.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I am also on the depo-provera shot. I haven't noticed it impeding my weight loss, but I have been on it since before I started the weight loss... If anything the shot might stall you temporarily while your body adjusts to the hormones but it would pick up again once it adjusts.

I particularly like it because it stops my periods except for some spotting once in a blue moon, this is awesome for me because I have always had crazy painful cramps and I don't on the shot.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Just an FYI:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/...st_cancer.html
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 335/TICKER/180

Height: 5'8"

Exclamation Me too...

I am kinda in the same situation. I had my mirena removed last feb with high hopes of having our second baby. With my first baby we had no trouble getting pregnant and I loved the mirena... that is until it has been almost a jeat ttc and nothing. Ive been through so many tests and I have no choice but to blame it on mirena So after months and months of devestation and many negative pregnancy tests I have decided to put the baby making on hold I feel like I need to focus on me and lose weight and get healthy before I put my body through **** again lol.
aasshhlleeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

I've been on the mini pill for 5 years and have had 0 problems losing weight (was on ortho-tricyclen for 10+ years before that). The only problem with it is that it is super duper sensitive; I missed my pills for 36 hours and ended up getting a second period 2 weeks after my "normal" period stopped which lasted 12 freaking days, and then my next normal period started 4 days after that. That month sucked, heh.
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Default birth control

i cannot take hormonal birth control cuz it gives me blood clots & makes me feel like butt. i had mirena in for a year and had zero issues with it at all. i found it safe & convenient. i cannot have kids now if you have gone back and read any of my posts, but it has nothing to do with mirena, it has to do with a past C section. -fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote