Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 06:49 AM   #1  

Question Curves

Hi, I just joined curves. I like it, and the work out is good. I was wondering if anyone else goes to curves. And what type of results have to seen?
Old 03-31-2003, 08:20 AM   #2  

Hello, papes. I joined Curves about three weeks ago and am loving it. It is the first time in my life that I've ever considered exercising FUN!!! The only noticeable results I have seen thus far include sleeping better, having more energy, having no more aches and pains and having my jeans go on a bit easier.

I have only been going three times a week but have a friend who goes every day plus does 20 minutes of pilates several times a week. She has already changed dress sizes and is looking good.

I love it for the upbeat music and actually have more fun "dancing" on the aerobic platform between the machines than on the machines themselves. Best part is I work up a sweat like I never did before and feel soooo good less than an hour later.

Marsha
Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #3  

Angry

Happy Monday! I joined Curves last week and went 5 times-I really enjoy the work out and the music, too. I weigh-in tonight at Weight Watchers, so I hope to see the fruits of my labor. It is a great workout and you aren't sore after wards. I am anxious to get back to Curves after work tonight, and I have never been an exercise person. Try it!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:28 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello

When Curves first opened in our area, I was going to check it out... but was amazed to find they close at 6 PM weekdays and are not open on weekends. That certainly eliminates a huge portion of us... i.e. most of the people with JOBS.

Sue
Old 04-09-2003, 10:33 PM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

There isn't one close enough to me that I can go - since I do not use a car. Also, as stated before ... if you have a job it's kind of hard to get there in time.

My husband's aunt lost A LOT of weight there though, and absolutely loves it. She lost it all fairly quickly too.

I must say though, one of the people who runs the local curves actually handed me a pamphlet and an offer for a free week when I was cashiering at work, and I was so offended and pissed. Like, hello - maybe I WANT to be fat? no, seriously though... I work in retail and have had multiple people try to sell me their weightloss plan, or make-up, or religion.... while I am trying to work! That's the main reason I decided not to check them out. I'm such a baby.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:51 AM   #6  

Default Cost of Curves?

I have been thinking about Curves and was wondering if anyone could tell me the cost of their program? There is one jsut a few blocks from my house.

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2003, 02:31 AM   #7  

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could tell me what curves actually is. Is it a gym? And if you know a way whether or not I can find out if there is one around me. Thanks!!

*Jen*
Old 04-12-2003, 02:34 AM   #8  
Empress/Queen

I was really enthusiastic about Curves at first but the honeymoon was short lived. I got tired of doing the routine after three weeks. Still, lots of people really enjoy the workout and find it works for them, so that's great!

For me, joining the full-service fitness center was more cost effective. I can go as often as I like ... it's open six days a week from early morning to late at night (except Saturdays when the hours are shorter). I can do the weight machines, the free weights, the whirlpool, swimming pool, cardio machines, classes, etc., etc., had a free massage, two free sessions with trainer ... all at a fraction of what Curves cost for just weighing, measuring and doing a limited circuit training workout. Also, Curves is only open here five days a week and it is closed from 1 to 4 p.m. on those five days and you can only go once a day ... which is plenty, but with the gym I can do two quick sessions if busy.

But this is not a slam against Curves, which is a fine program ... just not what I wanted. But it's a good fit for some people. Everyone is different.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:43 AM   #9  
Empress/Queen

P.S. Jen, Curves has a website that you can find w/search engine ... but it's easy to spot them if you see them in your neighborhood ... they usually have a big sign ... they are small mini-gyms using hydraulic equipment sized for women ... the number of machines varies ... between machines are aerobic platforms ... they play a recorded set of instructions interspersed with music ... people come in and hop on the circuit at any free point ... alternating the resistance machines with walking in place on the platforms ... you go around the circuit three times to equal a 30-minute workout and you're done ... every seven minutes the tape prompts everyone to stand at the station they are at and take a heartrate check ... I found it quite annoying, especially as the instructor kept asking me what my heartrate was ... it was distracting when I just wanted to enjoy exercising.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:21 PM   #10  

A couple of gals I work with have joined Curves. So far, they feel positive about it, although I find it hard to believe that one of them lost 3 inches from each thigh and 7 lbs. of fat after only three weeks...and she only goes 2-3 x a week. (They keep computerized tabs on you.) I've been working out in a regular gym for much more than that and have maybe lost one inch from each thigh.

I asked how the hydraulics work because everyone is at a different fitness level (y'know some folks can only lift 5 lbs. while others can lift 20 etc.) and one gal explained to me that the faster you go with the hydraulics, the heavier the weights seem to be. This is good for beginners, but once you get into serious weight training, it would seem to me, you'd have to pump really fast to get results and maybe hurt yourself in the long run.

I'm not knocking the program either because I think it's a great entry into weight and circuit training for those who have never done it before.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM   #11  

My friend really enjoys the Curves gym. But she is in her 60s, and it's a nice woman friendly place where she is not intimidated by the gadgets and machines.

I looked into it, but all the ones around me have short hours, so I wouldn't actually be able to attend. Besides, I get my work gym for about $10/month and I can go every day except Sundays until 11pm.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:50 PM   #12  

I just joined curves and the one I go to is open from 6am-6pm monday - friday and open from 8am-1pm on saturday. They don't have any breaks during the day and the one that I go to has free weights, an aerobic room that has different aerobic, yoga, kickboxing through the day, and aerobic machines like an eliptical trainer, treadmill, and bike. They also have a weight loss program and suppliments that are also included in the price.

The price I paid was $29 down and $29 a month. I didn't think that was all that bad. It does take me more then a half an hour to get around the circut three times. And they are getting more machines.

As far as how hard it is, I have lifted weights for the past 8 years and I found the resistance on the machines almost challanging.

I like it there, it's friendly and I don't have to worry about weird looks from the skinny people. All the people at the curves I go to are very nice.

Bella23
Old 04-17-2003, 12:24 PM   #13  
Stressed but Sane

I just called the Curves that recently opened in my neck of the woods, and made an appointment for Monday. Right now, registration (normally $149.00) is half off, and monthly dues are $39.

I'm so gelatinous at this point that I know I will feel better in this environment than among the hardbodies at the gym. When I outgrow the challenge or feel better about myself, I'll move on
Old 04-17-2003, 04:16 PM   #14  

Hi, I am back again to update...my first month at Curves and I've lost 8 pounds and 7 inches (overall). My muscles have never been sore, but they do feel "worked". I pay $29 ea. month and our center is open from 6am-7 pm Mon-Fri.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:22 AM   #15  

I have been going to Curves for about 4 months and have lost about 15 inches. I like the fact that it's just women and I can fit in a complete workout in only 30 minutes.
Closed Thread