Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

Height: 5'2"

Default suggestions for a tattoo?

I have wanted a tattoo for a while now, and I have decided that when I hit my weight loss goal and maintain for six months, I will finally get one. I have literally wanted one for years, so ideas have come and gone, but I really like the current one and have been thinking about it for a year or so.

I want to get an ancient Greek ship (you know, of the sort that are found on pottery shards) with the word "νόστος" below it (nostos is the ancient Greek word for "homecoming"). I also kind of wanted to incorporate a few lines of "Ulysses" ("to sail beyond the sunset and the baths of all the western stars until I die"), but I think that would be way too much with the other things.

Anyways, do you all have any thoughts on where I could/should get the tattoo? I'm flexible with size and absolutely clueless as to placement. Any ideas?
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

I have a full back piece which wasn't bad pain wise. It's a large area which is good for something with so much detail. My ex boyfriend is a tattoo artist and has an unfinished tattoo on his tummy cuz it was so painful (he is covered elsewhere). I don't have anything on my legs, but that might be a good spot for yours.

Also, make sure you do your research and pick a good artist. Good tattoos aren't cheap, and it is worth it to spend the money to get it done right. Tattoos are forever.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

I love 'nostos', I didn't know this word before and I love it.

I hadn't got beyond thinking about a rose..... now you've really made me think!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

I want a star trek tatoo.

but that probably doesn't appeal to most people
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155/122.6/105

cherrypie, I like that idea! What of and where?
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #6  

the communicator shape. Now sure where. Probably on my shoulder blade somewhere

http://www.jumbojoke.com/images/trek-badge.gif
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #7  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoodles View Post

Also, make sure you do your research and pick a good artist. Good tattoos aren't cheap, and it is worth it to spend the money to get it done right. Tattoos are forever.

yep agreed! AND for me tats are like potato chips.....cant have just one
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #8  
banned

S/C/G: 213/198/130

Make sure you get something you really, really, really like. Otherwise in 5 years you're going to be saying "WTF was I thinking?" I got a tattoo on my lower back when I was 17 and I loved it at the time. I designed it myself, it was of a sacred heart with a banner around it with "veritas" written on it. Anyways, my parents found out about it, and I ended up having to remove it (my parents had a strict "no tattoo" policy). My point being, I'm glad I got it removed because I'm a totally different person now.

I also have a small tattoo on my wrist of a cross, a heart, and a star. It was done because I had done the heart myself (I know, I know) and it was turning green. I figured, why the heck not get a little more? And now, I honestly just don't care for it.

The pain is relative, the only thing that matters is if you find a seriously stellar artist. Getting a tattoo removed is 10x more painful than getting it done in the first place. And a lot more expensive. SO think long and think hard about it. It might help to get a henna version to see if you like it.

Another thing to consider is: are you married or in a relationship? If not, you might meet someone you really like and they could have tattoos, like my fiance (he tolerates the one on my wrist) and said that he'd be really turned off if I still had the one on my back.

So give yourself a lot of time to think about it. But it does sound like a pretty rad idea.
HartLover23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

okay with your description here is what i imagine- a somewhat large but not too large piece in the upper middle of your back- sort of between the shoulder blades. i see the ship with the word nostos either below it in small lettering or actually on the ship as if it were the name of the ship.

as for the other words- words can be tricky. i usually do not like what i've seen that other people have done and shy away from them entirely. but- if you can get it done right it might kind of look cool to be circling the ship.

something else i've seen that i think is pretty beautiful for words- is a long straight line- either down the spine or the backs of the legs. while spine would probably hurt more- i think about that spot behind the knee and how ticklish i am and thing spine would be better. haha.

i love your tattoo idea- but most important is that YOU love it, and love it for some time. i think it's a good idea to be committed to it for at least a year, if not more, before ever putting it on your skin. i have two spur of the moment tattoos and i won't say i regret them exactly, but the artwork is not me and it's not as special as the one i got for my 10 years recovery anniversary, which i put a lot of thought into.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #10  

Merry Meet Everyone
I'm new to this forum and so happy there is a place for me to hang out I have a sleeve at present but would like another ..something magical but I havent found it yet..so if anyone has something they would like to share, I would love listening.
Ruslana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

It sounds like a back piece to me, otherwise it will be difficult to get detailing done , imo.

I have both shoulderblades done. I've wanted a sleeve but because of work that is impossible, I am thinking of doing a sock/stocking instead...
jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Will turn 44 this spring, and am thinking reallllly hard about an antique compass rose low on my chest, so that I can be reminded about seeking True North each morning while I'm getting ready to start the day.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 340/190/150

Height: 5'11"

You know, I am right there with you! That is my goal- to be able to get a tattoo. Like, my full back piece is already planned. It is a 1940's China New Year's poster of a Chinese child, and she is riding a large koi while holding wheat (lots of symolism for abundance and well being, perserverance and success in the image). Yeah, it may sound silly but it's GORGEOUS and it represents my passion for studying the Chinese language and culture; it connects me with what I want to do as a career (which is become an English teacher in China). The more unique to you, the better it automatically becomes. <3
Alexis On A Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

I have a tattoo on my shoulder blade area, a fairy about 6 inches tall, and OMG that HURT!!! But I love her to bits, and was well worth the pain (she represents my 6 year old daughter).

I found the tattoo I have on my calf (a small dragon fly) didn't really hurt much at all.
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #15  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

As this is your 1st tattoo i would not go too big. Its honestly up to you and what you feel comfortable with getting and where. Also for placement take your job into concideration if you work in a place where it will be frowned upon make sure you tat is able to be covered. i Have one a lower back piece. that i love i also will be getting another one when i hit goal but im not even close yet.. good luck on your journey.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote