Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 17 - 23, 2011

Martin Luther King day is a holiday here in Massachusetts. Should be easy to get to the gym and to remove the hard drives from two more computers that need to be junked. I need a pill that makes it easy to let go of stuff - like one of those expensive diet pills that make you feel like you're doing something useful because you're spending a lot of money.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Good Morning all!

Good news on the DH front. He and I had a long chat yesterday re his job/health, etc.

He's been wanting to quit his current job because he says he can't start any kind of diet/exercise program while under so much stress . Economically that would put us in a really rough place. I have been reminding him of this for the two years he's been talking about this.

But yesterday morning I told him to go ahead. "if that's what it takes my dear, do it" was the phrase I used. By the time I got back from work in the afternoon he had come up with a much more sensible alternative (he is a really bright man who can look at a problem from all sorts of different viewpoints. He just gets "stuck" sometimes).

And he's gone out for a walk (without prompting or accompaniment from me) for 3 days in a row. He's found he likes the local greenbelt, which runs along a creek, for winter walking. In the summer it's too stinky for him but it's working for now.

I hope this is a new trend. I will have to get in there and if he suffers a setback (he's kinda all or nothing) and I've bought some DVD's that I'm hoping will give me the skills to deal more effectively with DH and other people.

Happy Monday! (is that an oxymoron?)

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Good Morning ! Dagmar hope the new plan works for DH . Every day he does it will help. I find it very difficult to motivate another person, it needs to come from within, Cheering him on , though should be a great encourager.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #4  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning--hope you don't mind if I join you this week.

Don't know if we've met, Dagmar, but I read most of last week's chat. Hope the DH stays with walking. I walk about a mile and a half six times a week--I like the fact that it's free and convenient.

And Happy Monday isn't an oxymoron when it's a holiday!

Hi, Bill and bargoo.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Saef, that commercial you referred to in last week's thread is the ASPCA's commercial. I hate it too. I change the channel every time it comes on. The ASPCA is one of the few charities I donate to, and I'm on their monthly donor program (they take $$ out of my credit card each month automatically). I feel like, I give them money every month, I shouldn't have to watch this heartbreaking commercial!

Bill, enjoy your day off!

Dagmar, glad to hear DH is on track again.

Michele, congrats on your vow renewal!

Hi Bargoo and Oboegal!

Things are pretty good here although work is being stressful at the moment (suffice to say intellectual property is a pain, and I'm having trouble getting the right documents to the right people). Usually work stress for me is just that I have to get something done in a very short amount of time, which I can handle pretty well. This stuff is of an entirely different nature and it's kind of freaking me out.

Last edited by paperclippy; 01-17-2011 at 10:10 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #6  
Chuggin' along...

There is such a thing as a happy Monday! When it's a holiday from work! I get MLK Day off, too, which is really nice. I did start off my day when I woke up lying in bed for a few minutes thinking about what a remarkable man Dr. King was.

To do today: Go to the gym, update my iPod playlist (part of my New Years ideas to keep me motivated at the gym!), and do some computer work for my community theatre group. First thing when I got up this morning, I put the ingredients for black bean soup in the slow cooker, so that will be cooking all day while I work.

Yesterday I went to my first benchpress competition training section of the year. Our previous trainer left us for the year, sad, but another trainer from the gym is taking over, and my usual training partner is there. Still just the two of us women and a bunch of guys, but there weren't as many big hulking men or angry music yesterday. My shoulders and triceps are sore today! I think I need cardio and abs/core this morning.

Hi Oboegal! Jump right in! Does your name come from actually playing the oboe? I played clarinet for about 5 years when I was a kid, but gave it up finally bc I hated practicing.

Dagmar, glad DH is out walking. I'm sure it's really great for him to know how much you support him, even though he decided quitting his job wasn't best right now.

Bill, wow, I need one of those pills too! I've gotten better about holding onto things but there's room for improvement. My mom won't let go of anything, and 2 of her siblings also hoard stuff (almost to the point of the "Hoarders" show). If there's a hoarding gene, I think I got it.

Have a good day all.

ETA: Jessica, we posted at the same time. Good luck with the intellectual property, don't let yourself get too stressed out by it. You & Saef don't get me started - you say "Arms of the Angel" and images of those poor creatures start flashing through my head and I start welling up!

Last edited by Megan1982; 01-17-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Wishing I had the day off of work.....It will be quiet here--no mail, no banking, and several employees took the day off. I doubt the phone will ring much, either.

I'm back OP this week after suffering from lack of interest last week. I only lost half a pound last week as compared to the 5 I had lost the week previous, but that's okay, too. I know full well that half a pound to 2 pounds is normal. I'm still on track for meeting my goals (which I'm about to plug into my Google calendar so I'm a bit more motivated).

DD is leaving Thursday afternoon to go back to school and she decided that she doesn't want to cook this week so I planned 4 nice recipes from Cooking Light to do for us. Tonight is "fried" chicken tenders (panko breaded and baked) with a chipotle dipping sauce. A nice salad to go with it.

Does anyone have a good remedy for getting rid of gnats? Our office is across the street from a waste disposal company and we're pretty sure that our influx of gnats in the office is due to this. We do have plants in the office, so they might be residing in the dirt, but I have a spray for this and use it faithfully to no reduction in the gnat population. I read on the internet that they're drawn to the smell of vinegar and to put a jar with holes in it near the gnats and they'll fly in and won't fly out. Well, three weeks of a jar of vinegar on my desk and no gnats in the vinegar and still several flying about. I swear, I can kill one and another miraculously appears to take it's place.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Good Monday everyone and a good one it is as I also have the day off! Dh is on a plane to Canada for the week but dd and I are probably going to get our nails done and go to lunch (if she ever wakes up!)

Allison-- glad your dd and you have had such a successful time cooking and losing weight. My dd has been doing WW with my dh since the beginning of the year. Dh decided to leave me out of it since she and I had a negative experience with it (she was/is jealous of my weight loss). She called dh yesterday to tell him how great she is doing. I am cautiously optimistic. She said she had lost 8 pounds already! She loves to cook and she reads cooking blogs. She has been finding healthier recipes and/or adapting other recipes and has been happy with the results so I hope she can keep the positive momentum going.

Welcome oboegal! Glad to have you here!

Hi to everyone else.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #9  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Happy Monday everyone, well hopefully lol.
The weekend was a complete bust for me as it was my birthday yesterday and I had a weekend full of celebrations. Went out for drinks with friends then a slap up meal on Saturday night, then had a family celebration yesterday which was fully catered.
Although I went to step class on Saturday morning, I really did lose total control from early evening Saturday, which carried on til bedtime last night. By bedtime last night I felt gross, my stomach was fuller than it's been in months and I was SO tired.
I dreaded today getting back on plan again but I just dived straight back in, went to do my usual two gym classes, and apart from being REALLY hungry I know I'm going to be fine. Just hoping I can repair any damage by weigh in day on Friday.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Hello all! Atlanta is finally beginning to dig out from other the weather of last week, felt like forever. I still have ice and snow on my driveway, but the roads are pretty clear most places.

My challenge today is to fight with the cable company to try to lower my cable bill. I think I'm at the point where $220 for phone/cable/internet is about to push me over the edge. That and to get back on plan with my food after a terrible weekend. I did great during the snow and ice, then dived headfirst into a bag of doritos over the weekend.

I've read everything, will come back and answer later.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #11  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A quick post at the end of my lunch hour at the office to say "hello." My IT consulting company does not see it fit to honor Dr. King's memory today. We're supposed to use up the one-day "Floating Holiday" that they give us, which I wanted to do, but the two coworkers who back me up have children off from school, and they wanted the day off even more than I did.

We're supposed to have icy rain tomorrow, which I dislike more than snow. Thankfully, that's one of my work-from-home days & I can stay safe indoors looking out from my French doors into the courtyard of the building, where the ice will make the trees look gorgeous.

I'm also trying to declutter. I'll give you a link to a blog by Brooks Palmer, a professional declutterer. No, he won't have lots of handy organizational tips. But he's into motivation & into the psychological side of cluttering & clearing clutter, which is sometimes what we all need.

http://brooks-palmer.blogspot.com/

If I'm trying to motivate myself, I watch "Hoarders" (nothing makes me vacuum, wash dishes & throw out paper like an episode of "Hoarders" -- whew!!!) and then read Brooks Palmer for a little while.

Works every time.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Saef - DH & I don't have today as a holiday either, though I can't do much from an HR or payroll standpoint today with all the banks and federal offices closed...
Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #13  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi Megan--yes, I play the oboe. I've been playing the flute longer and think I'm still better on flute, but I'm more in demand as an oboist for obvious reasons. My "day job" has nothing to do with music, so it's a nice outlet.

Wow, you're a serious lifter!

Hi, Allison--glad you're back on plan. I went off the rails a bit Christmas weekend and one other time during the winter break, but have been doing well since then.

Hi, michele!

saef, I also dread freezing rain. We were forecast to possibly get some today, but it didn't materialize. I grew up in Brooklyn, and I still have a vivid memory of an ice storm in about 1974 (I was in junior high school) that was miserable, but the trees were indeed gorgeous.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Isn't it pointless on some of these days, Shannon? Our office is decimated from people working from home, because they must tend to children. Though some school districts lost the holiday because they have already used so many snow days this year.

I love the Floating Holiday. It's the Company's way of acknowledging diversity. We are supposed to look into our hearts & see if we want to use our one, single Floating Holiday allocated each year for Martin Luther King Day. Or Cinco de Mayo. Or St. Patrick's Day. Or Yom Kippur. Or Chinese New Year. Or maybe Samhain. Who knows? But there it is, your single day to express your ethnicity & beliefs. Pick your holiday, folks. And God help you if you're a Chinese-Irish pagan married to a Jew.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I love the Floating Holiday. It's the Company's way of acknowledging diversity. We are supposed to look into our hearts & see if we want to use our one, single Floating Holiday allocated each year for Martin Luther King Day. Or Cinco de Mayo. Or St. Patrick's Day. Or Yom Kippur. Or Chinese New Year. Or maybe Samhain. Who knows? But there it is, your single day to express your ethnicity & beliefs. Pick your holiday, folks. And God help you if you're a Chinese-Irish pagan married to a Jew.
That made me snicker.

So do you tend to use your floating holiday for something unrelated to anything just to be fair?