South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/324/200

Height: 5'6"

Default can i stay on phase 1??

hello..new here and i am on my second week of phase 1. i lost 7 lbs the first week and have felt great! no withdrawals, and actually the thought of sugar makes me nauseaus. I am 314 lbs so i have plenty of weight to lose so i was wondering if anyone has stayed on phase 1 for awhile? i am not ready to bring back in cards and such. i have been following the supercharged book recipe plans and find the meals to be delicious. thanks!
dawn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/ See Ticker /133

Height: 5'1

I actually never did any phase 1 or phase 2, I just start my diet all on my own but what do you eat for lunch??

I have my breakfast and dinner meals but I dont know what to eat for lunch because I usually eat a subway sandwich.
DiamondAries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #3  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

i'll let others explain why it isn't a great idea, but i'll say this: the rate of loss won't continue at that pace even if you stay on phase 1. you're losing water now, not fat.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #4  
Mous

Some stay for an extra week or go on to Phase 1.5. Ruth, Cottage or some other long time beachers will give the scoop on the why's.

Last edited by LADY WINDSONG; 01-19-2011 at 03:32 AM.
LADY WINDSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

It's a good idea to start adding Phase 2 foods back in slowly so you can see if any of them cause cravings for you. For example, even though it's healthy, whole wheat causes cravings for me. The only way I found that out was because I added it in isolation after Phase 1. It's helpful to know because I can choose other whole grains to eat instead of wheat so I don't have to deal with cravings, or if I really want something that's whole wheat I can plan to have it with a fair amount of protein to curb the cravings a bit.

It's such an individual journey that there's no "right" answer for everyone. I have no issues with fruit, but some other people do.

You do need to be getting Phase 2 foods to round out your diet, though, so you can get all the vitamins and minerals you need in a day. Phase 1 is too restrictive to provide your body proper nutrition for the long haul. It's a good two week detox, but it's not meant to be a lifelong eating plan.

Hope that helps!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Kara said it perfectly!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

You should move on to Phase 2. Phase 1 won't result in losing any additional weight after two weeks. I need to take this advice too (am moving into Phase 2 on Friday), but it's really best to follow the directions in the book. This diet has worked for thousands who have followed the directions.

Last edited by Mmckellen; 01-19-2011 at 05:53 AM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Hi Dawn

You are in a LOT of good company. A lot of newbies like me joined the board at the beginning of the year, and we're all trying to transition to Phase II - most of us kicking and screaming

It's a scary transition! We'll all be here for you!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #9  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Im actually scared. I know i have another week of phase 1.. but i already know where my problems lie. I mean.. im a type 2 diabetic..and fruit fruit fruit..it kills me.. and same with bread..anything bread or white bread products..anything white in fact..This is the first time in my life i havent craved anything..so im freaking out because this is the first time that my stomach doesnt look pregnant.. I mean..the moment i put a piece of bread in my mouth my stomach bloats automatically..so..im not sure what to do? Am i allergic to gluten? HELPPPPPPP!!!!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #10  

Height: 5'8"

Porthardygurl, you've answered your own question. Re: fruit, you will need to choose fruits that are low gi like berries. And, when it comes to grains, don't add in bread products or wheat products. You can add in whole grains like quinoa instead. You'll have to do some research and some testing to see what works for you, but it seems like you already know what will NOT work for you.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #11  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

I also had a lot to lose like you when I started SBD and am also a type two diabetic. I lost quite a bit during the first two weeks of phase one and I was terrified of moving on to phase two so I did stay on a strict phase one for a while longer although in hindsight I'm not sure it did anything for me except mentally. When I did move to phase two, I only added an apple a day and only in the afternoon or evening for the first several weeks. No cravings. My confidence improved so I've continued and have had blueberries, again only once a day and only in the afternoon or evening and have added a few phase two recipes that say included a bit of wine. I am very careful to have some protein when I eat my fruit too. I have not yet added any breads or grains. I don't miss them and don't want them but know in time that I will add some as it will be healthier but right now I'm doing just fine without them. I consider myself being on a phase 1.5 for now. Like others have said, you need to work the program in a very personal way as everyone is different. Good luck and just take the transition nice and slow.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote