Old 01-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #1  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Default I want to be a nutritionist. Advice?

So, I've attempted school I think 6 times in my life.

It never works out.

I did complete cosmetology but didn't get my license. Was in a car accident partway through school and found I could never stand for 8 hours a day after that due to chronic pain.

Before I usually had to withdrawal due to psychiatric hospitalizations.

I've been out of the hospital for 3.5 years now, haven't been back in. (I've been in 11 times for bipolar issues since 99 so staying out this long is great for me. )

Anyhow, I'm doing really well with the bipolar stuff. My fibro is getting to be far more manageable. I think by summer I'll be doing really well if I keep progressing how I am *fingers crossed*

Anyhow, my local community college offers an associates of science with this dietary technicians program. They also offer distance learning for all but 9 credits. (out of 72 required to graduate). So I think that would REALLY be beneficial to me.

Apparently you can get entry level work with an associates, and I can continue my education and get my bachelors while working in the field hopefully. If not, I can stay at my current job while I finish up. I live in Pittsburgh, we are pretty huge on the medical scene so I think this is a great city to try and do this in.

Would love a private practice or to partner with someone. Plan to look into psych classes too, since I think that would be helpful with this type of thing. (obviously, if you've ever read a thread here)

If I'm on target, I will be close to goal by fall 2011. So definitely AT goal by the time I transfer. Would be a great motivation, I would NOT want to be a fat nutritionist.

I know I've had trouble in the past...so I'm a little nervous. But I think the online thing will work out for me. What do you guys think?
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I think it's a great idea. I'm sure you could help lots of people, and have great empathy. Good luck!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I think its a great idea. Really. I know several people who are at school to become nutritionists and they seem really happy with their direction.

I will say that I find online classes more difficult than normal classes. You have to be really self-directed and on-top of things. The only way I'm successful with online classes is to check my class obsessively, ensuring that I'm meeting every deadline. I'm not trying to be mean, but I know I wasn't prepared for the differences between online schools and traditional methods.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #4  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

I think I'd do better with online. I'm a lot better with things that are in front of me (on the comp) than sitting in my bookbag in the bedroom for me to forget about.

I'm very self-motivated. I have a problem with sitting in one spot in certain desks, they cause pain with my fibro. If I have a flare, I still have to walk to the bus stop and then from the second stop to the school, sometimes in the winter, and with the fibro, I'd rather be in my heated apartment learning online.

Which is how I learn best anyhow. I'm very good with self-education in general, so I think this will be more similar to that.

But thanks for the advice and the heads up. Traditional school never worked for me.

Also, since I"m 31 I think I'd feel pretty out of place. I live in a college town...I'm so annoyed by students. lol.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

You might consider getting a Sports Nutritionist Certificate from ASFA. It only takes a year, you can do it online, and it's way cheaper. I think with the certificate you can work at places that specialize in weightloss, such as a gym. It would allow you to work in the field and see if it's really what you want to do, and then you could go back to school and get your degree.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Go for it! I think you would be a great nutritionist since you know the struggle, and have a passion for it. It's never too late to pursue a passion. Keep us updated!
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I got my Bachelor's degree in dietetics, but didn't do the internship to become a registered dietitian. It's A LOT of science--organic chem, bio-chem, food science, etc. After college, I worked in a hospital as a diet tech/food service supervisor while I got my Master's. I still use what I learned today.

As for being an older student, I wouldn't give that a second thought. So many people in my program were women wanting a career change or stay at home moms who wanted to get into the workforce. I was the minority because I was fresh out of high school.
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/120

Height: 5'4

I often think I want to do the same thing. I went to college for 6 years for 3 different majors. Nothing was working for me. I then got my cosmetology license in Pennsylvania. But then I moved to Virginia for some reason... I don't even really know why. But half of me wants to put some of those college credits to use and get a nutrition degree. I have taken online classes and they were VERY difficult compared to regular classes. Whatever you end up doing, good luck with it!! Keep us posted, maybe I'll even end up doing the same thing!
Kristen81985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #9  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I think it is a GREAT idea! Going back to school is NEVER a bad idea! I just enrolled in community college so I can get prereqs done for Nursing school. I think it would be great to learn about the science behind what is happening.
Good Luck!
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I think it is a wonderful goal, Lottie. One is never too old to go to school. I have a friend who got his masters degree at age 68 - when he retired from his first job.

I don't know anything about online classes. It would be worth checking it all out and see what seems to fit with your schedule and learning style. If online doesn't turn out to be what you want (that's if you do it) - then you can always switch.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #11  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

You can do anything you set your mind to doing!! You should go for it and give it your all!!
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Leaning is NEVER a bad thing! Even if you decide it's not anything you want to pursue as a career, you'll have that knowledge for yourself to use!

I hear ya on the not wanting to be a fat nutritionist LOL as a psychologist, I've just started a few programs for overweight patients, and i'm glad i'm at a normal weight to offer these, not so much a "do as i say, not as i do" thing!

yay learning!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote