Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 04:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Making a contract with myself

I watched Oprah last week--think it was a rerun, but I hadn't seen it. I liked the part where she talked about making a contract with herself at the suggestion of her trainer. I've slacked off since Saturday, and I felt that I needed something extra to help me be true to my goals. So I made a contract with myself. Her contract ran six weeks and was a bit different, but I'm starting with just three weeks. Here's what mine says:

"I will to the best of my ability make every effort to do the following for a period of three (3) weeks, beginning on
April 11, 2003 an ending on May 2, 2003:

1. Stay completely within my Points range (26-31).
2. Participate in regular exercise each day.
3. Eat three meals and two snacks per day.
4. Keep a daily journal of everything consumed and/or my emotional health.
5. Eat to satisfy my nutritional needs rather than my emotional needs.
6. Drink 6 glasses of water each day.
7. Refrain from “grazing.”
8. Terminate all eating by 7:30 pm each night.

In addition, I will not allow myself to attempt to justify not following these rules. I will take complete control over what I put into my mouth, and not allow my emotions, other persons or boredom to influence what I think I want. I will do this each and every day, not making excuses or giving myself any “free-for-all” days.

Furthermore, throughout all my years, I realize that I have rarely, if ever, been able to attain this level of focus for a continuous period of three or more weeks when physically training for a goal. I also realize that this contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character."

The most important part of this for me is, "I will take complete control over what I put into my mouth, and not allow my emotions, other persons or boredom to influence what I think I want. " That one is the hardest to deal with, but I'm determined!
Old 04-11-2003, 05:54 PM   #2  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default Re: Making a contract with myself

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheila53
Furthermore, throughout all my years, I realize that I have rarely, if ever, been able to attain this level of focus for a continuous period of three or more weeks when physically training for a goal. I also realize that this contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character."
I really, really like that part....I think I'm going to steal it!
Old 04-11-2003, 08:49 PM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Wow .. that's a tall order. I think it takes a lot to think about this... then write it down. Good for you.

The last sentence - very powerful!

We are here for you!

Dana
Old 04-12-2003, 12:41 AM   #4  

YOU GO GIRL!!!! hehehe... that's a really good idea....
Old 04-14-2003, 10:13 AM   #5  

I am very proud of you! I wish I had the motivation and dedication to do what you are doing. I never would be able to keep such a contract.
Closed Thread