Old 01-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #1  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Default ONE habit to change

So, some of us do complete overhauls and some of us do things a little at a time. Usually, though, we are pretty aware of some of our WORST habits. For some of us it is drinking soda (or pop, depending on where you live!); for others, eating at night; for some, sweets; for others, portions. Some are completely sedentary. Most of us have some combination of these, admittedly, but there will still be a few standouts.

So, if you pick ONE of your habits to change, which will it be and how will you do it?

For me...I've been working on this for a while but still have trouble with portion sizes. I *love* to eat, and I like big plates and I like seconds.

The answer is restricting portions and sizes. To do this, I will

1) weigh/ measure if appropriate
2) record all in the truth-teller (aka TheDailyPlate)
3) make up my plate at counter or stove, rather than scooping servings at table

I'll let you know how it goes!
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Excercise.

30 min, 5 daysd a week and I don't care WHAT it is. Walk, wii, bike, swim -- just anything!

I'm trying to earn a PALA for motivation.

I did it once years ago and I want a fresher PALA patch, darn it!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Oh this took no thought what so ever what I need to do.
STOP STOP STOP going out to eat!!!!! I love going out fast or sit down to eat and since I live alone....why cook??? How much yummier does a simple little egg taste cooked on a grill compaired to at home......
What will I do
1. Plan. Weekend look at my schedule for the week and figure out where I will be, when, and what I will be doing there. For example if I am on the go all day I must have a lunch that doesn't need to be refrigerated.
2. prepare. That means if busy during the week cook during the weekend for the whole week. Before I sit to watch tv my lunch for the next day MUST be prepared and packaged.
3. Until I am used to taking my lunch leave a sticky note on my door that I will see before I leave. Yah dorky but you have no idea how my mind DOESN'T work in the morning. lol
4. don't carry money with me.
5. Eat 5-6 small meals so I do not get hungry and think I need to stop and get womething.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

for me, my worst habit was definitely my "all or nothing" mentality! I ate a bad lunch so screw it, eat like a line-backer for the rest of the day! or "i won't look like a supermodel after all this so why bother"

Overcoming that ridiculous way of looking at things helped me so much ~ a bad meal means ONE bad meal, not a free-for-all. I get back on track as soon as it's over, and it doesn't ruin anything!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Exercise is something I have been majorly neglecting. I am shopping for a swim suit now, because I really want to start swimming - so I will buy one in the next few days, and I will go swimming at least once next week!! (starting small, but that's OK )
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 PM   #6  
Lazybones

S/C/G: 260/255/155

Height: 5'7

Wow, thanks for the eye opener! I hit 4 of the 5 bad habits above. Pop is one thing that I have learned to give up 99% of the time. I think I know what I need to work on. Thanks for the kick in the rear.
Slimjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #7  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Excercise.

30 min, 5 daysd a week and I don't care WHAT it is. Walk, wii, bike, swim -- just anything!

I'm trying to earn a PALA for motivation.

I did it once years ago and I want a fresher PALA patch, darn it!

A.
Thanks for the link!
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #8  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

My worst habit is letting things snowball, what's the point of exercising if I can't do my whole hour, what's the point of eating right if I didn't exercise, why worry about how much water I get if I'm not eating right anyhow? It keeps going into other areas of my life too, I create this horrid downward spiral, not good! I need to learn that 1 deviation from the plan does not mean that the whole plan goes out the window.

Yes, thanks for the link Astrophe. I just joined PALA, now to remember to log my stuff each day.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/260.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Healthy snacks instead of quick ones when I am up feeding the baby. Just because nursing makes me hungry doesn't mean I have to eat junk.
ToriLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

For me it's WATER...I hate the stuff!!! I need to drink a lot more of it. Usually I pick just have a diet pop instead. I had 4 cups tonight though (should keep me up most of the night peeing :P ), so I guess that's a decent start. I MUST keep it up!
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #11  
I shall be released...

This is a habit I haven't seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone else does it...

I will have a hardcore craving, usually for pizza or burgers. I will fight the urge BUT I will eat something bad for me at home or just over-eat because, "Well, at least I didn't choose the fast food!" and I convince myself that it's ok because it's still better than what I actually wanted.

I want to stop that. Meal planning would be a helpful step. That's something I struggle with because I eat what I'm in the "mood" for at the time. I just need to remind myself that this behavior is unacceptable and will not help me reach my goal. I'm not giving in to my cravings for a reason and I need to make my good choices count.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW303/TICKER/GW135

My bad habit is most definitely probably giving into cravings. I let them consume me sometimes.
ThinningVegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:56 AM   #13  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

outside of bingeing (which is a miserable habit), my WORST habit is snacking late. arg! i think it's ok to have a snack after dinner, but i usually (read:always) have more than one.
i'll have my snack after dinner. if i NEED to have something else, i'll have a clementine. they're small, right?
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

For me it's grazing-- a handful of this a bite of that. I really have to watch that.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #15  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

One small habit I am working on currently - besides a bunch of others of course - is my shopping. I have lately taken to writing shopping lists and sticking to them! Emptying my home of all sweets was one of my smartest moves ever and sticking to a shopping list helps me to only buy healthy things and definitely no binge triggering stuff (candy, chips, rolls .... ugh).

Pays off big time. Last night I had intense stress due to finishing my exam preparations for today in the very last minute and had there been any candy at home, I would have eaten it until all had been gone. Seriously. But since there was no candy - and believe me I did search even though I was pretty sure all was gone - I remained relatively calm and tackled the exam stress without it. Makes me proud too.
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote