General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #1  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

Default Cellulite Massage?

Okay, so there are all kinds of expensive cellulite massages out there with rolling things and suction things but what about just doing it at home? You know those hand rollers that you buy at Bath and Body Works or the things that come in the spa gift baskets that cost like $10, why not just use one of those every day on your fatty parts? Anyone ever thought of trying it? I think I've included a picture of the type of thing I'm talking about. Mainly like the bottom middle.

Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You can't rid yourself of fat by massaging it but there are certain things that can help plump up your skin to make cellulite less visible. It isn't that the cellulite disappears, its that the skin around it becomes more uniform.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
You can't rid yourself of fat by massaging it but there are certain things that can help plump up your skin to make cellulite less visible. It isn't that the cellulite disappears, its that the skin around it becomes more uniform.
I don't think you understand the question. I don't want plumper skin, that would make me fatter, not thinner.

I'm talking about a home version of things like this: Self Magazine article

eHow article

and this one Misc article

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-12-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Add articles
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #4  
Just Me

As far as I know, cellulite treatments reduce the appearance of cellulite, they don't get rid of the fat. Even the Shape article says that:
Quote:
THE SUPER MASSAGE: ENDERMOLOGIE
How it works A technician rolls a vacuumlike hand piece over your backside while its suction and motorized rollers suck up skin, delivering a serious deep-tissue massage. Some doctors believe this action only swells the skin's surface, temporarily camouflaging dimples, says Cap Lesesne, M.D., a plastic surgeon in New York City.
and here is a snippet from another one of the treatments
Quote:
COOL LASER: TRIACTIVE
How it works A hand piece resembling a large flashlight massages skin while sending infrared energy below the surface. ... David Goldberg, M.D., a spokesman in NYC for the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, says it simply swells the skin's surface slightly better than Endermologie.
And I've heard the best thing to help smooth the skin is actually caffeine which is why all cellulite creams have it. I've seen things where you can do a 'do it yourself' caffeine compress. It'll reduce your visible cellulite but the fat is still there and if you stop treatment, it'll reappear.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Obviously I have to find a way to rephrase the question because you aren't even close to what I was asking. I'll see if I can find a different way to ask what I'm trying to ask. The articles were examples of expensive treatments with machines, not simple hand held massage tools. I was just trying to find something to compare what I was thinking of. There's something called dry brushing. Maybe I need to find an article about that. It may be more in line to what I'm trying to find out.

I'm not asking about smooth skin. Not at all. I'm more or less asking about breaking up lumps I guess you could say. I've got smooth skin, but I've got lumpy hips.

I want to add, that I'm not saying you're not trying to help, I'm just phrasing my question wrong in terms of what I was looking for. Does that make sense? Probably not, my whole question is now confusing.

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-12-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

You can't massage away the lumps of fat that cause cellulite. You can't "break up" fat lumps. You can lose weight, but you might still have the "cottage cheese" appearance of cellulite.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #7  
Just Me

Yeah, sorry you can't break up lumps of fat. You can only smooth the appearance of cellulite. Dry brushing is good for exfoliation of the skin, massage is good for the skin as well. Those expensive treatments don't break up the fat either, they just reduce the appearance of cellulite temporarily.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
You can't massage away the lumps of fat that cause cellulite. You can't "break up" fat lumps. You can lose weight, but you might still have the "cottage cheese" appearance of cellulite.
I don't have the cottage cheese, as I said before. Like I said, I can't effectively ask what I'm asking so the point is moot at this time since I can't ask effectively what I want to ask. Thank you for your time I do appreciate the effort, I'm just having trouble getting my brain to ask the right thing the right way.

Last edited by Jesse Taylor; 01-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I do know what you are asking, and the answer is you can't. No matter how you ask the question.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I do know what you are asking, and the answer is you can't. No matter how you ask the question.
Again, thank you very much for trying, but I know what I'm thinking and I know I'm not asking correctly. I'm trying to google what I'm looking for, just not using the right terms. I don't even think cellulite would be the right term. It's hard to explain and definitely something I heard a long time ago, so I know I'm putting my foot in my mouth.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #11  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

most of those things up there look like they would hurt.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote