Old 01-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #1  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Frustration and Improvement

I posted this on my blog too, but I know you guys will understand.

So, I have this DVD of Leslie Sansone's that is a 5 miles walk. Back in September before things went south, it had become what I would use if I wanted to do an easy workout. Completing the entire thing was easy for me and yet still burned a decent amount of calories (typically around 500 for slightly over an hour). I was giving more than she asked for. When I do this DVD I always do the arms moves even when she isn't, I always "sit down low" even when she doesn't, and I spend most of the time somewhat "boosted". So, Monday I decided to get back to working out. There's snow outside and there are Christmas yard decorations draped all over the room where the treadmill is so that they can dry before being put back into their boxes. So, I was going to do my 5 mile walk with Leslie. Or so I thought until I started doing it. It wasn't easy anymore. I made it all the way through the first 2 miles and slightly into the 3rd and that was it for me. My main issue was that my feet were killing me, but I was also very tired. Ridiculous! I was so mad and frustrated with myself. I wanted to cry. Even worse, I wasn't home alone when this happened to me. My husband and one of our friends were here. Lovely! A few months without exercise had turned me into a failure, as if the regain of over 20 pounds wasn't bad enough.

So, I licked my wounds and put the DVD back in yesterday. It WAS NOT easy, but I did all 5 miles. I also did it at the higher level I used to do it at. I burned 639 calories in 67 minutes. I still want back to where it was a light, easy workout, but this is improvement and I'll get there. Then back to the treadmill and running again.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh you are so not a failure!! Especially with the fact that you tried it again, and did it so well! It doesn't take long to lose fitness and endurance once we stop exercising. I don't exercise near as much as I should, and yesterday I was dancing around with my 2 year old and baby, and I got so tired so quickly, it's terrible! I am so impressed you were able to burn 639 calories in just over an hour, I think I need to check out that DVD.

Last edited by sept15lija; 01-12-2011 at 10:29 AM.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #3  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

No, my dear - a failure would be someone who tried, didn't succeed, and just snapped the dvd in half and threw her hands up and said "can't do it"

Success is putting that )()*&##%!! dvd back in and givin' her again and again and again! you'll be back to where you were in no time woohoooooo!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #4  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh no. I don't think I'm a failure. I guess I could have worded that better. I felt like a failure at the time. When I first started my journey I worked very hard to set myself up for success. I started with beginner DVDs, etc. While there have been things that were really hard at first, I had never not been able to complete something before. So it sucked and right then in my mind, I was a failure. I'm not feeling like a failure now, just for a little while on Monday.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/230.4/180?

Height: 5'9"

Thank you for sharing, and I completely understand what you mean! About halfway through November I stopped exercising regularly because life got crazy, and did fall off the wagon in December - I literally didn't even have time to get on the computer, but I should have still taken care of myself. I recommitted right after Christmas, because I did miss exercising, but also - I had gained 7 pounds!! But I can NOT work out like I could in November before I quit - I was up to jogging 15 minutes or so without stopping. I can hardly do 3 minutes now! It was amazing to me how fast my endurance disappeared.

All I can do it get it back - sounds like you are working towards that to! Good job!!
ORSewmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Oh good, just making sure you know that you're awesome! I get that feeling though - it happens to all of us at times.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 259/253/140

Height: 5' 9"

The same kind of thing happend to me when I got on my WII Fit. I feel your pain, but, at least we are back at it. That is the most imprortant thing.
lisanovak is offline   Reply With Quote