Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #1  

Default I need ideas for omelettes / scrambled eggs!

I've been eating eggs for breakfast. Well I use egg beaters, and sometimes real eggs, but they are getting boring! I tried mixing spinach and tobasco sauce (dont ask, it sounded good) and scrambling them...it wasnt bad, it wasnt anything! It was bland! Not enough tobasco I guess.

But I want to hear all your healthy egg ideas! Want kind of veggies do you add? Any spices that will give the eggs a good taste?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I have to have onion in my eggs. Also, low fat cheese, green pepper, lean ham or turkey.

Or I will make "southwestern" eggs with jalapeno's, onion, peppers, topped with salsa and fat free sour cream.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I add onions, red bell pepper, jalepeno, tomatoes, & turkey bacon
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

shallots or onions, garlic, cheese, mushrooms

My current fav is onions, cheddar cheese and mushrooms.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #5  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

I eat spinach omelets every day. I use 1 egg and 1/2 cup egg whites. Recently I have been on a flavor kick and I am using the flavored egg beaters. Right now I am using the Southwestern flavor in place of the egg whites: http://www.eggbeaters.com/products/s...tern-style.jsp

I also purchased the Garden Vegetable flavor: http://www.eggbeaters.com/products/garden-vegetable.jsp

They also have a Cheese and Chive flavor: http://www.eggbeaters.com/products/c...and-chives.jsp

Saturday night we had leftover broccoli, so I added that to my omelet yesterday with the Southwestern Egg Beaters.

I go through these phases with flavor. Normally I don't want/need it. I have been on this kick since coming back from our holiday vacation for some reason.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #6  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

I mix in whatever veggies are getting old in the fridge. Usually a pepper, onion and mushroom combo with garlic powder and black pepper. If you are looking to spice it up, try Cayenne pepper. Cayenne is suppose to boost weight loss by speeding up your metabolism and it is great for your heart.
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

A good, flavorful cheese to use is feta. Reduced fat feta is only 60 calories a serving and gives lots of flavor. I personally would love a spinach, tomato, mushroom and feta omelet.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I will literally cook whatever veggies I have and then add in the egg whites. Sometimes I top with salsa and parmasean, sometimes not. I love the egg whites for the cost and for the fact that they fill me up with an insanely low amount of calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

I agree with the "whatever veggies" comment. Omlettes are a good way to use up scraps. Pretty hard to choose something that won't work!

Same with sauces. No need to laugh about the tobasco. I've mixed in leftover enchilada sauce, horseradish sauce. It's fine!
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I love just about any veggie mixed in with my egg whites. I also like to use a wedge of laughing cow cheese for some extra flavor.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #11  

I make a lot of seasoning mixes (Greek, Italian, garlic-herb, cajun, etc) and I use them in my eggs. I agree with "whatever veggies are in the fridge." Usually salsa makes an appearance. My family's favorite are migas (basically eggs with bits of corn tortillas and salsa cooked into them).

My latest favorite seasoning has been Hot Salt. I substitute it for salt and pepper in almost everything, and it's particularly good on eggs!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

A very simple way that I love to fix Egg Beaters:

Saute fresh mushrooms in I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. When they are soft, pour in the eggs and cook as scrambled eggs or omelet. Love the taste of mushroom and egg together. I'll have salad or just tomatoes on the side. Maybe 1/2 english muffin, toasted, with ICBINB spray and garlic powder.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #13  

I love an egg white omelette made with 4 whites whisked well with salt and pepper. I spray the pan, add some chopped cooked shrimp (from the bag in the freezer) till they are warmed through and not leaking liquid, then add the whites. When about half way set I sprinkle on a little little bit of finely shredded asiago cheese. Finish up and eat with a TON of homemade very very spicy salsa.

I like a corn tortilla on the side and a bit of avocado. I put the tortilla right on the oven rack at 350 till crispy - no spray or oil needed.

I picked up the asiago when it was on sale months ago and it has become my go-to flavor enhancer. Like parmesan but more oomph to me and so convenient. The Lucerne (Safeway) brand is finely shredded and I keep it in the freezer. It stays fairly loose so I can just use what I need, rezip the bag and toss back in the freezer.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #14  

Oh thank you everyone! I am going to see what veggies need using tomorrow. I think I have some asparagus in there...think that would be good?
But I am going to try some of the other ideas! Thanks again for helping spice up my eggs!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
A good, flavorful cheese to use is feta. Reduced fat feta is only 60 calories a serving and gives lots of flavor. I personally would love a spinach, tomato, mushroom and feta omelet.
This is what I was going to say - I love eggs prepared any way and am really lucky to have a friend supply me with as many farm eggs as I want. But one of my faves has always been spinach, feta, tomato omelette.

Sounds weird, but avocados are really good with egg too. And I usually chop up a kalamata olive or two. Yum.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote