General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Angry Facebook temptations and a problem chick!

I'm on the verge of "unfriending" someone because of their relationship with food. She too is overweight and has sent me several messages and left several posts on my statuses and page about how unhappy she is with her weight, asking me how I can give up foods I love, how she hates to work out... blah blah blah. I've told her exactly what I'm doing; calorie counting, working out, healthy eating. We even started being "workout buddies" several times only to have her give up because she "just can't lose weight."

The thing is, nearly every single status she updates is about food. Not healthy food, but foods like deep fried tacos, cakes, pasta, whip cream and hot chocolate... She has only 2 other things she posts about: Her husband and laying around the house. I'm not kidding. And I'm not going to lie, hearing her talk about how delicious her deep fried, sour cream and guac-covered taco is is KILLING me.

I'm tired of getting all the whiny messages and stuff. I hesitate to delete her because she IS a nice person who needs help, AND I've been friends with her since elementary school, but... I just don't know what to do anymore and she's kinda dragging me down. I've politely mentioned that a healthier eating plan is needed for weight loss, and helped her start food journals, but she doesn't think her eating is that bad.

I know it's going to hurt her feelings if I unfriend her, but honestly, it's starting to get to me.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

You can hide her posts without her knowing. It wont stop the annoying messages, but at least you wont see what she is eating. The next time she messages you, maybe just ignore it and she'll hopefully get the hint.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #3  

I didn't mention this, but she also comments on pictures of me and mentions that I'm losing too much weight. (then messages me occasionally and asks for help)

Erm... I haven't lost much and I've been stalled in the low 150s for forever and a year. LOL

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 01-10-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #4  
~Kim~

I would hide her stream. Then you wont have to see all the status updates about food at least.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I agree you should hide her posts. You don't need her unhealthy attitude.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I agree, block her from your news feed. If she asks you why, just be honest - her food updates were making you hungry! And leave it at that.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #7  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I too would hide her. My cousin posted cupcakes last night. They looked great...exactly what I don't need to see!! But she doesn't do that all the time.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My husband and I help with our youth group sometimes and so they want to be our facebook friends. But we don't really want to know what all those teenagers do all the time!!! So we just click ... something like ... hide all by ... I don't think they can tell.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #9  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

People can't tell when you block them from your newsfeed, so definitely do that if you don't want to unfriend her completely. You can also mark her messages as read, or just delete them, without reading them or replying to them. Hopefully she'll get the hint after a few ignored messages. It's understandable that she wants help, but if she's not actually letting you help her and she's just a bother, you're totally right to ignore her.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Some people just can't be helped.

I have this woman on my Facebook who's kind of a friend of a friend. She doesn't even like in the same country as me, she's American and I'm English. And EVERY. TIME. I. POST. ABOUT. FOOD she makes some comment. Like once, at around 4am I made a post along the lines of "Yay the bakery near my house was still open, so I got a slice of pizza and I'm watching *insert TV show here*. Nice chilled out end to a crazy night out" and almost immediately I get a comment from her like "OMG HOW CAN YOU EAT PIZZA AND STILL BE SO SKINNY I HATE YOU".

Obviously, she was joking, but it's still annoying. If she knew anything about my diet, she'd know that I barely ever eat stuff like pizza.

She's also very very overweight and does nothing to help herself, just like the person OP mentioned. She makes posts about going to Taco Bell and other fast food places and then complains at me that I'm apparently "sooo perfect and soooo skinny".

Uh... I'm sorry I have a healthy diet and lifestyle? xD

I usually brush this chick off, but if your one is annoying you that much I'd suggest you just remove her from your newsfeed. Then you won't get her statuses but you won't have to block her.

Or you could set her straight lol
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #11  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

I would hide her and tell her why... even if she can't tell. I don't know how you feel about this but the next time she messaged me I would tell her exactly how and what was on my mind. You might want to meet for coffee to do this... these things often don't go across well in type. Tell her that you're within your acceptable weight range and encourage her to change her habbits. It really sounds like she's just looking for someone to complain to, unfortunately you can't help her unless she's willing to help herself.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #12  

Flame, if she's a friend of a friend, why do you keep her on your list?

I hid her this afternoon. Interestingly, she messaged me a few minutes ago and told me she thought I was rude in a response to something she'd posted on MY status. A friend of mine mentioned going out for a girls' night sometime soon, and the problem girl said, "I love how drinking and partying fit into your 'healthy lifestyle'. <eyeroll>" (she wrote the eye roll thing too. Lame...) I told her to responsibly indulge every once in a good while was far different than eating unhealthy foods and sitting on my arse every day. So then she messaged me with a long and angry response, telling me I'm rude and a hypocrite, and that I must lead a sad life if all I have to do was make fun of an overweight person.

I told her I didn't intend for her feelings to get hurt, but that her comment was pretty snarky. She said she didn't appreciate being "lectured" about eating habits and I should mind my own business. LOL. I ever-so-politely asked her to do the same.

So I guess the situation has solved itself.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 01-10-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #13  

I was on the band wagon of hiding her, until I read you last post that she made a comment about how party fits into your healthy lifestyle with an eye roll....now I'd say defriend her. You dont go on FB to be spoken to rudely, end of story. That's why we get to chose our friends on FB, so we dont have to accept people that was dont like or treat us less than kind. I would tell her that, then be done with her. I'm sure that wont be the last of the rude comments if you keep her around. (and sometimes if people see they can get away with one rude comment, next time it might be ruder)
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Pint-sized terror..if she is close enough to be a true friend, call her up and explain it to her before you do it.

Can't you place someone on ignore without them knowing? I dont FB so I don't know.

In the end I always look at the bottom line. Let no one and NOTHING get between you and your goals. Not her, not facebook, not your guiilt. Do whatever it takes. Afterall, your life depends on it.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-10-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 368/336/165

Height: 5'6"

She seriously did the eye roll thing? Yeah...I'd defriend her. That was just plain rude.
iHeartU is offline   Reply With Quote