South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/192/165

Height: 5" 7"

Default Stuck...

I've been on South Beach for four weeks now and have only lost 5 pounds.

Not only have I pretty much stayed on Phase 1, I've also started training for a 5k. I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio 3x a week.

I am getting very frustrated that I'm not seeing results. A friend of mine is also on SB and has lost 10 lbs and does NO exercise at all.

I drink tons of liquids throughout the day (water, crystal light, diet 7up- with dinner usually), have eggs for breakfast or canadian bacon and string cheese, spinach and mozzarella salad for lunch with olive oil for dressing, nuts and/or sugar-free jello as a snack, sugar-free chocolate to curb my sweet tooth, and protein for dinner (usually chicken or beef).

What am I doing wrong?

I appreciate any ideas/support. I've got 28 pounds to lose...
5KinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Try counting calories for a week or so, even if you're not supposed to have to on South Beach. These diets work because (some) people eat fewer calories when they are eating fewer carbs; others don't. But, low-carb diets don't bypass the laws of thermodynamics, and ultimately fat loss comes down to calories in and calories out. If you are still eating maintenance level calories, you won't lose weight (setting aside water weight bounces) no matter the macronutrient composition of what you're eating.

Also, 30 min of cardio 3x per week is much, much better than no cardio, and a great way to start. But, it doesn't burn that many calories: probably around 150 and 175 calories per session, regardless of what the machine is telling you. Assuming 3 sessions, that's 450-525 calories, or at most 1/6th of a pound per week, at the usual approximation of 3500 cals to lose a pound.

A common mistake among dieters is to overestimate the contribution of exercise to a caloric deficit, and eat more to make up for it. The end result is no change in weight. (Cardio has many other benefits -- e.g., heart health, endurance, retaining and possibly even building lean body mass, etc. -- so there are lots of reasons to do it other than just burning calories.) I'm not saying that you're doing this, but just throwing out a possible explanation.

good luck, and congratulations on making it 4 weeks!

//b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #3  

Thanks Kaw! That is very helpful. I'll try counting calories this week.

Compared to what I was doing before...nothing...I am definitely in a healthier place, now I just need to start dropping pounds.

Thanks again for your information and encouragement.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Have u been eating alot of nuts 'cause that could be a problem.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #5  

I eat nuts as a snack. Usually about 2 handfuls a day.

This week I am cutting that out and going reallllly strict. I am also going to count calories as Kaw suggested to see how that works.

Hopefully this week I'll see some results!
Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nuts have to be counted out. See the Phase I Food List in the FAQ section. Calorie counting may be a revelation to you. South Beach says "eat until satisfied" but we don't all recognize that feeling.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #7  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

South beach is wonderful but not every plan works for every person. I cannot lose weight on WW but it is great for other people. Do some research and see if other plans fit you better.
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

You are losing an average of over a pound a week. That's pretty good. Don't worry about your friend, keep on your own track.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #9  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Are you keeping track of your measurements? If you've upped your work outs from what you were doing before you may be losing the inches but not the pounds as fat is replaced by muscle.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #10  

Thank you all! I honestly feel so much better hearing all of your comments and feedback.

Keep your fingers crossed for me this week!

No more nuts, strictly water, and counting those calories.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8"

If you just recently started working out, or really upped your exercise routine, your muscles are retaining water and that can account for no loss. I read somewhere that if you start an exercise routine you shouldn't expect a scale loss for a month because of the water retention issue. I'll try to google this for more info. Don't just focus on the scale. You are doing great.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 170/149/145

Keep your chin up!!!

The last time I did SB, the scale moved at a snail's pace (say, compared to my Atkins days or WW), BUT the tape measure showed vast improvement. It's possible that you are changing your body shape but the scale hasn't caught up yet?!

I also think that Kaw is right on with ALL of her comments. I myself have found that exercise is great for me mentally, but that it NEVER has helped with weight loss!
AmyKitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #13  

Mmckellen- that is very interesting. I'm going to look into that.

Good news is that I cut out the nuts, became more conscious of calories and went really strict this week and have lost 2 lbs since Monday.

Thank you all for your support. It means so much!!!