Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 AM   #1  

Question Another question for frequent weighers

Ok, for all you everyday weighers, I have another question/ dilemma.

This morning, I woke, peed, weighed in my bra and undies. Got 189! Yeah! Even got on and off the scale a few times to be sure. And each time got 189.
Got my little guy out of his crib, changed his diaper.
Then went into the living room, checked FB, email, took about 15 minutes. Drank / ate nothing. Went back into the bathroom (to shower). Tried to pee again, but was like nothing, of course. Then reweighed naked... got 189.8. I checkd a few times. 189.8 each time... WT !!!

Now my scale has been know to give 2 or 3 different wieghs at the same weigh in. I've been thinking its time for a new one? Or is this weird gain something other people see? I was thinking about ditching the digal and just getting an old fashion scale, which I prefer.

Any thoughts on what's going on here??!?!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

If your scale is giving you 2-3 different weights at the same time, get a new one.

Also, just get on it once when you are weighing. That's easier to do with a new scale that gives you the same reading every time.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #3  

Thanks. I think I'll be heading to Walmart today!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #4  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

It sounds like your scale gave you one consistent set of numbers, then shortly thereafter gave you another set of consistent numbers that were slightly higher.

This happens to me all. the. time. It's not your scale, it's your body. Even if you didn't eat or drink anything, even the act of breathing brings moisture into your body.

My advice: keep your scale, save your money, and don't worry about it. It's just a number, anyway. As long as you weigh at the same time every day (e.g., just after the first pee of the am), you'll be able to track progress. A 0.8 swing is not going to make any difference at all in your life unless you let it.

//b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Just weigh once. Really.

I have this compulsive need to eliminate my bowels before weighing. But it doesn't always work. Sometimes I weigh, then end up having a BM, and weigh again. It should be lower, right? Nope, sometimes it's a few tenths of a pound up. What gives? I'm not really sure. Go with the lower number. Sometimes I really think gravity plays a roll. We weigh the least when we first hop out of bed.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I agree with others... save your money! Your scale works fine. You can do your little hop-on-three-times ritual, but stop there. Do the same thing every time you weigh, but if you are going to get on the scale at any point during the day after that, recognize that you are not going to magically get lighter during the day unless you spent an hour in a sauna! Congrats on the 189!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/179.2/130one day

Height: 5.1.5

Absoluty normal....save your money and count just your first, the rest is for fun.
Tuca125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Eliana, how do you think gravity plays a role in relation to getting out of bed?

Gravity is not equal on all parts of the planet, so gravity does have an effect (you obviously weigh a bit more where gravity is stronger, though the difference should be minimal.), but I am not sure how that relates to first getting out of bed.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
Eliana, how do you think gravity plays a role in relation to getting out of bed?

Gravity is not equal on all parts of the planet, so gravity does have an effect (you obviously weigh a bit more where gravity is stronger, though the difference should be minimal.), but I am not sure how that relates to first getting out of bed.
I don't know. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. It's just got to be something because it's pretty routine!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I've experienced the same thing - that's why I weigh once in the morning and that's it. Who knows why our bodies do that to us but I think it happens to everyone so I just go with it and weigh once.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM   #11  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
It sounds like your scale gave you one consistent set of numbers, then shortly thereafter gave you another set of consistent numbers that were slightly higher.

This happens to me all. the. time. It's not your scale, it's your body. Even if you didn't eat or drink anything, even the act of breathing brings moisture into your body.

My advice: keep your scale, save your money, and don't worry about it. It's just a number, anyway. As long as you weigh at the same time every day (e.g., just after the first pee of the am), you'll be able to track progress. A 0.8 swing is not going to make any difference at all in your life unless you let it.

//b. strong,
Kim

^ THIS! That's exactly what I was going to say. =)
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post

//b. strong,
Kim
Exactly this.

In the past, I have weighed at several different times of day: before and after using the bathroom, before and after showers, before and after working out . . . you name it. The scale is generally consistent with itself, even if the numbers themselves change.

I said this on your other thread, I think. I "count" (as in write down and track) one weight a week, which I decided at the beginning of my journey would be Monday mornings, after using the bathroom, naked, before my shower. That's what I record. I'm looking for a downward trend over time. All the other numbers from my daily weigh-ins that I get are just me being compulsively curious.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #13  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Sometimes I hop on the scale a few times a day just to see how my body changes and fluctuates throughout the day, but I only count my wake-up weight. Your body changes soooo much during the day. After a shower, I've gained 2 pounds, after breakfast sometimes I have gained 1, some days after a workout I will have lost 2 pounds, only to have gained it back after dinner. If you do weigh more than once a day, I'd suggest going with the one you get when you roll out of bed.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #14  

Height: 5'4"

Same thing happened to me on Saturday, went to WW and weighed in at 201, now i know my scale is 2 lbs off (lower) so i check on my scale and it read 193 I almost fainted lol! Then checked 2 more times and sure enough it was 199 again. I was going to buy a new one today, this one is giving me heart failure. And i know it's just a number to most but it's not just a number to my brain unfortunately
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #15  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

I'm one that will weigh twice once before I pee and once after. I never weigh after a shower because I found I was consistently gaining a pound or two just by the mere act of showering. I guess my body was soaking in some of the water from the shower or something. Turns out, I know a few people that gain when they shower. Now none of us get on the scale after the shower.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote