Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #1  
Ninja loss

Height: 5'3 (161cms)

Default Different scales different weights

hi guys, i have been having a bit of a dilema lately, every scale i go on there is a different weight! for instance i jumped on 2 non digital scales and they both said 105, jumped on a digital scale at the hospital and one said 110 the other 113, went to the gym jumped on their scale 106, went to another digital scale and it said 112!

it's kinda frustrating because i wish all scales were just the same, it's hard to track my progess while i'm away. I had scales of my own but they went crazy.

it's probably a dumb question.. perhaps i should only use some that i buy and carry them around with me or something.

DO you prefer digital or non digital scales??

Catcuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #2  
Ninja loss

i guess thats why they say measuring is best huh
Old 01-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Buy a scale, keep it at home, weigh yourself at the same time every day. Stay off all other scales. Or at least don't believe what they say.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #4  
smexin' it up ♥

S/C/G: 123.4/116.4/80

Height: 180cm

heh heh, why would you need to carry them around with you?! I say you just buy one to have at home (if you don't have one already) and only use those to weigh yourself. Even if they are a little off, the decreasing numbers would still mean you are loosing weight

as for digital or non, I've found both can be as (in)accurate as each other, with the only difference being digital is easier to read the correct number, so it's really just up to personal preference
summershine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:19 PM   #5  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Different scales can give different weights. Plus it depends where they are at as well. And you can also weigh differently at different times of the day or from day to day.

I think it is best to just use 1 scale, same place, same time once a week.

I prefer digital it is easier to read for me.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'8

I agree with most of these posts. I have found that they both have their problems, because it all depends on the settings in which they are on and they will all be different. I, myself, prefer digital because it gives you an exact number. Definitely buy one for your own personal use, and use it to calculate how much you are actually losing. If you've gone to the doctor recently, their scales are pretty accurate.
AshMichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 250 (Sept 2009)/177/150

Height: 5' 9"

One scale all the time. Don't change and don't weigh at different times during the day. Morning, post pee/poo and be done. There is no need to get on different scales or do it at different times. Once you introduce food into your body for the day, your number is going to be different.

I prefer digital myself.
Jesse Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #8  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

That stuff keeps happening to me, too! I don't know which I prefer, because I guess those non-digital ones would be more accurate. Though, really, mis-calibration is the same in every form of engineering.

But when I got a new scale last week, it nearly made me cry. My old scale was saying I was down to 174, then the new one says 182.6 the second I step on it. According to that one, I'm down to 178.4 now, so I am still losing.

But for a while there, I would step on it, it would say 180; I'd get off, step on it again, it would say 171. The third time it would say 160. Either I lost 20 pounds in 5 seconds or it's still wonky.

P.S. I hate scales at the doctor's office. I always yell at the nurse not to tell me what it says.
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #9  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm having an awful time with my scale. Actually, it's not my scale, it's my floor. I am living in Asia for a year (so during the bulk of what I hope to be my major weight loss) and the floors in homes here are heated, and made of a softer material than homes in North America. It looks like a ceramic floor, but it's just a little padded because sitting on the floor is so common. Anyway, this makes it so that my scale(s) read differently even when I leave them in the same place. The floor is soft so the reading changes drastically based on where I stand. Not to mention if I move it around my apartment!

In a moment of desparation I just moved my scale outside to what looked like a solid flat surface and it weighed me at 10 pounds heavier than Ive ever seen in my life! Ah! Now I'm all discouraged.

In other words, I feel your pain.
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I am also interested in why you would need to carry it around. Would you keep it in a lap top bag? I am a daily weigher and I use one scale. Well, weekday daily. I weigh on a doctor scale at work. I say pick one scale and use it as your official scale. And keep it in one place, as moving it can change the balance because of the floor or whatever.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #11  

Make sure the scale is in the exact same spot each time. I've noticed that just an inch or two in a different direction will change my whole reading. I have found a spot that I put the scale in every day to weigh myself. Different floor types also give different readings.

Also take into consideration that you will weigh more or less at different times of the day after eating, drinking, etc.

Last edited by GypsyQueen; 01-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.
GypsyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #12  
Ninja loss

thanks guys

noo only reason why i'd carry it around is if i go on holiday etc, i wouldnt carry it around every day kinda thing lol
Old 01-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Pick a scale and use that scale. I have finally figured out the my doctor is always 4 pounds heavier and the gym is always 3 pounds heavier then my home scale. I actually think it is the weight of clothing as I weigh naked first thing in the morning.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

That's why I count my "real" weight as my weight at work, in clothes. The doctor won't weigh me naked, so I don't count that.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #15  
Ninja loss

weighed in today at the gym, 7kgs more than the home scales lol