Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Default Jogging and Calorie Counting

I'm not sure where to post this. I've been jogging for over a year now. I recently went from jogging 3/4 x's a week to jogging 5/6 x's a week. I jog approx 50 - 60 minutes outside, at a somewhat fast pace (not too fast, I'm not running, but I'm also not slow - I like the adrenaline feeling that comes when you jog on the faster side).

Adding in these extra sessions is not because of weight loss - I recently received a stressful blow, and jogging really calms me and restores my positive mood.

However, I notice that I'm always hungry. 1500 - 1600 calories a day no longer feels like enough. I sort of feel like I have two options:

1. Aim to not go over 1800 calories a day.
or
2. Still aim for 15 - 1600 and ride out the hunger as best as I can.

I eat healthy, whole foods, and with enough carbs.

I'm curious in hearing what other joggers have found. While I think jogging is amazing for maintaining weight loss and managing stress, I've never found it to be entirely conducive to weight loss.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #2  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I would try to change up the type of food...but if your still wanting to lose and have been losing at 1500-1600 calories, I'd keep my calories the same. Try replacing some of the food you eat with your volumizing foods like fresh fruit, or more fiber rich low calorie foods. Eat more lean proteins after your run. A 3 oz piece of lean chicken breast is only 120 cals.

At 159, you should be quite thin (we are the same height), so weight loss should slow to a crawl and you may have to fight for every last pound as you work your way to goal....(this I say from experience)

Last edited by joyfulloser; 01-08-2011 at 07:48 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I'd add more lean protein, too. If your extra calories are healthy, your body will appreciate it. Also, maybe add strength training to your work outs if you haven't already.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #4  

Height: 1.67m

If I were you I would actually try to up my calories a bit. You run quite a lot, and some times you actually lose more if you keep your body happy and content food wise.
My suggestion would be to up your daily calories by 100 and stay there for at least a week, then assess and decide to either lower, maintain or up them further.
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #5  

At some point, running (let's not get into running versus jogging. We're talking about the stuff that isn't walking, the stuff that at some point in time both feet are not touching the ground) more becomes incompatible with losing weight, especially for people of roughly normal weight. The fuel you need to run how much you're running is more than you can lose on. Many runners who train for a marathon see this--as they increase over, say, a 25-mile normal base week, they can't lose even though they're running more. Looks like you're there.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

joyfulloser- you are right, I am a normal weight and the last few vanity pounds are vanity and extremely difficult to get rid of.

seagirl- I am mostly vegan, so getting my lean protein is not as easy as others. But, today I took your advice and made some hearty lentil soup, which I ate an hour before jogging and it has really helped with the cravings after jogging.

timkerbelle- I think your advice is certainly safe - to up the calories to the 1700 range and see what happens. I think that is the next logical step.

mariamaria - its funny, the harder I work, the harder it is to lose. I suppose I'm wondering if, over a longer period of time (since it is hard to lose when jogging so much), if the fat that is there is being converted to muscle. Maybe I am being too hopeful.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
more becomes incompatible with losing weight, especially for people of roughly normal weight
Absolutly my experience.

I'd add cals for sure, especially if you're actually hungry. The more I run the hungrier I am, the more cals I need to lose weight. If I eat less my weight loss slows way down.

I will also add that running 5-6xs a week 50-60 mins is A LOT of running. Your body needs time to recover and this will also hender your weight loss. I'd maybe try 4xs a week and add 2xs of strength training and make it intense strength training if you need the stress release.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey, there! Great job with the running! My weight loss has majorly slowed since I picked up running, so I know where you're coming from. I just ended a five-month plateau by increasing my calories. I run 40-50 miles/week, and I eat 1700-2300 calories per day (1700 on an off-day, 2300 after a long run).

Changing up your workouts can do wonders. Do you always run at the same pace? Have some faster days and some slower days. Keep most of your runs at 50 minutes, and then increase one to 70, 80, o,r 90 minutes.
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote