Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 03:29 PM   #1  

Unhappy Why am I such a loser @ losing????

Hi gals:
I have been writing everything down for several weeks now, & I do know how the program works..... I lost 5# & then I weighed on Sun AM & I gained 5.5, so I would've been better off not doing anything.

My clothes don't fit and I refuse to buy bigger ones. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday & this is really getting hopeless. Plan on going to the gym at lunch and taking lots of fiber this week.

Do I have something wrong with me??? I read a comment about Thyroid & that there is a certain test that doctors don't normall run? I was on thryoid meds a very long time ago. I tried looking up some info on the web but couldn't seem to find what I was after.

Mabie I'm just cursed to have short pudgy genes.
drea
Old 04-07-2003, 03:43 PM   #2  

I would certainly eliminate medical problems before I give up! You can do this. We all have ups and downs. You have to EAT to lose weight so are you sure you are getting enough of everything. It very well may be thyroid so I would certainly check that out!

Good luck to you!

Donna
Old 04-07-2003, 03:44 PM   #3  

There could be other factors that could be weighing (no pun intended) into your dilemma as well:

Are you about to start your monthly period? If this is the case, you could be retaining water, as I tend to do around that time. The best thing to do around that time (or any time for that matter), is to cut back on salt and salty food.

Another factor may be that you have hit a plateau (it happens to all of us at one point or another); just keep doing what you are presently doing and it will eventually pass and you will be losing again before you know it!

As a precaution, though, it wouldn't hurt to have a blood test for thyroid function; my own was found through a rountine test for something else.

Most of all--DON'T GIVE UP!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Also, ANother thing to think about is that if you have been working out you are gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat but takes up much less space and also helps your metabolism to eat up more calories.....

Maybe try taking your measurements also.... the scale will eventually move....

For example for me... I have been very faithful with my exercise for about 4-5 months, not always so faithful on my eating. I have only lost 8#'s but I have lost 20".....

Just keep on pluggin along.... this is not only for weight lose...this is for your health.

Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:27 AM   #5  

Default Trodding along

Thanks gals!
I have not given up - although this makes it very difficult to keep going. I know as I get older it gets even harder to make progress like I used to. I know I'm doing all the right things......writing it down,drinking tons of water, eating fresh fruits & veggies. I went to the gym & worked for about an hour yesterday. DST should help me get in more exercise after work - like a powerwalk, bike ride or a fun run.

If I keep gaining I have considered just taking my journal to the doctor and make sure something funny isn't going on. I baffles me that I can gain 7.5 on 25-27 points per day. I also beginning to be curious about a food allergy, since I've felt really achy in my stomach & I've never really felt this uncomfortable.

Love this site - it really helps me feel like I can alway count on some great tips & the advice I need to stay motivated.

Peace Baby
Old 04-09-2003, 12:20 PM   #6  
burned out bus driver

Don't give up!!!!!!!! One thing I did not notice- are you sure about your portions? Are you using a scale/measuring your foods? Good luck- check out with your Dr just to make sure. You can do this!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:59 PM   #7  

Default Portion Size

ECmom:
I do not eat meat & I know the point count of most of the foods I eat regularly. I use the measuring spoons to measure out my portion - & I usually have an extra large salad & extra large servings of veggies. I eat veggie burgers, beans, or brown rice. My latest favorite is pilaf. It has wild rice & lentils - I make it pretty spicy. I count it as a 5 for 1 Cups since I get it in bulk and have no idea. I usually wind up not using points at the end of the day.

I ate that 7-up cake with berries that was posted here somewhere. I counted 1 piece as 4 points. It was great. Mabie I won't make that again.

Nevertheless, being old may just be what all this is about.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-09-2003, 01:20 PM   #8  

Howdy,

Your diet sounds pretty good, but it may be including too much starch.

I used to have a lot of trouble on my low-fat diet and I think it was because I ate too many starchy foods, including whole potatoes, corn on the cob, and whole grain brown rice. I also ate processed starches such as refined flour and sugar as long as it was low fat. It didn't work for me and I was always hungry. While I DON'T follow a low-carb diet now, I have had a lot more success with a diet that includes lots of fresh fruit, berries, salad, and (usually cooked) veggies as well as non-fat dairy products. I include, but strictly limit the whole grains and legumes (including soy) and make room for limited good fats such as olive oil, nuts, and fatty fish. I am not vegetarian, so I also include limited lean meats. The point is, that I went from an unsuccessful diet that focussed on starch to a successful one that focusses more on fruits, veggies and NF dairy that limits starch and makes room for good oils.

Try checking it out for yourself. Look on the net for recent research showing how including dairy in your diet can help you lose weight and also check out the glycemic load of some of your staples. Then you can make an informed decision as to whether you want to make changes in your current diet plan. It may work for you.

Good luck!
-Deborah
Old 04-09-2003, 01:37 PM   #9  

Here is a good guideline for daily food group portions; this is based on a 1200 calorie diet, but your situation may be different:

Starch (15 gram carb servings) 5
Fruit (15 gram carn servings) 3
Milk (12 gram carb servings) 2
*Vegetables (5 gram carb servings) 2
Protein Servings: 4
Fats: 3

*These vegetable servings provide the same amount of carbohydrates as one serving of other carbohydrate food groups

SOURCE: American Diabetes Association
Old 04-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #10  
**No Excuses**

You have already gotten some great advice. I just wanted to give my support. Hang in there, you can do this. We all can!
Closed Thread