Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #1  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

Default Has anyone watched the MTV show I USED TO BE FAT??

I started watching it last week when they aired the very 1st episode. I gotta say that show is extremely motivational and really makes me feel like I can REALLY accomplish my goal and lose alot of weight by Spring time.

Does anyone know how many hours a day they workout and whats they calorie intake for the day??? Im not as young (18yrs old) as them girls were but I'm in my early 20's so i know im still really young to lose weight real fast.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ON THEIR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEYS!
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

I've watched it, and I agree it is inspirational, but I wonder as well how many hours a day they dedicated to working out and what kinds of things they ate. It sounds like they're working out 7 days a week, and being a college student with a part time job, 7 days a week is just not feasible for me. I usually make it about 4x per week and about 1100-1200 calories a day and I've been losing 4-5 lbs a week!
nessalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #3  

I'm watching Marci's story now and it does seem close to me....I was homeschooled as well.....and have been overweight for just as long....interesting.

eta: though as I watch more I'm a little disgusted...I ate what was put on the table before me and oh my .....I wasn't a whiner/crier. Yikes.

Last edited by amylou; 01-06-2011 at 02:22 PM.
amylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #4  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I am enjoying that show, it's amazing how quickly they get the weight off! They are losing average 1 lb per day, which is a 3500 calorie deficit DAILY. I'm almost 40 and don't have the time or inclination to work out hard several hours per day, so I'll take the slower road. All the same, it's fun to see the transformations! I just hope too many people don't feel like "Well, I didn't lose 90 lbs in 3 months like they did, so I give up!".
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #5  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessalyn View Post
I've watched it, and I agree it is inspirational, but I wonder as well how many hours a day they dedicated to working out and what kinds of things they ate. It sounds like they're working out 7 days a week, and being a college student with a part time job, 7 days a week is just not feasible for me. I usually make it about 4x per week and about 1100-1200 calories a day and I've been losing 4-5 lbs a week!
I thought the same thing! I caught just a few moments of it the other day, but this girl lost 93lbs in 111 days. sounds great in theory, but a little scary in real life.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/231/190

Height: 5'10

It would be great if I had the time and motivation to dedicate to it lol...but I think if we were on these shows it would be a bit different as well lol!
nessalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #7  
superfab

S/C/G: I don't care about my weight.

Height: 5'7"

The girl in the second episode kind of goes more into her diet with her trainer; He mentioned something about a small breakfast, a shake for lunch, a shake for snack, and a small dinner. Most likely just grilled chicken and veggies. I'm not sure how much they worked out, but every episode emphasizes EVERY DAY. Which is unreasonable unless you have an MTV show. hahah
KoriHallelujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #8  
At 5:00

S/C/G: 207/195/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh I think this show is glorious! I really love watching it. I mean, I'm only a little bit older than these girls, so it's nice to see someone around my own age losing weight on a tv show. Maybe that's why I never liked The Biggest Loser.

Well, if you guys remember last weeks episode, she told her mom she was quitting her job to focus more on working out. So, yeah, they're going hardcore for it.

I thought about working out every day like a champ, but I'm not going to continue that my whole life, and I want the changes I make to be something I can follow through with and maintain. I will not be working out 5 times a week when I make my ultimate goal, it just won't happen. So, it'll take me longer than those girls, but I'll still lose. I hope their trainers explained maintenance to them!
wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #9  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

As far as weight loss shows go this is really well done I think. I've only seen the first episode so far, but that girl kicked ***. She was extremely dedicated, lost weight the healthy way and got some amazing results. I think it's really important for teenagers to see it is possible because I think when you're a teenager sometimes the dedication and the "Big picture" stuff isn't there.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #10  
Go For Your Dreams!

S/C/G: HW340/340/160

Height: 5'6

i really like the show its extremely motivational. I started my "new lifestyle" on December 30th and its 9 p.m January 8th and I have not messed up once or missed one day of working out. Something just clicked where I said "enough is enough!" I think alot of people make excuses as to why they dont have time to workout or why they can't but you just gotta make time. If you really REALLY want it you will get up at the crack of dawn, and get in your workout.
Im gong to school and working 2 jobs and I still fit in my 2 hour workouts every single day. I wake up at 6:00 am do my hour workout and do my 2nd hour workout right before bedtime. & im not saying you must workout out a certain amount of hours a day..even a half hour is great, all im saying is theres no such thing as no time.
If you want it you just gotta push yourself! You'll be surprised how far you'll go.
CandyCoatedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #11  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I tried watching the show, and I was motivated by it until I discovered something. If you watch the show online there are comments on the MTV page right under the show. Well, a bunch of people were just tearing the girl from the second episode apart, calling her a baby for crying constantly (which I agree was annoying), but then her trainer posted a response saying that anyone would cry if they worked themselves as hard as she was, because what you didnt see is that this girl was working out with him personally for 4-8 hours a day for the entire 89 days. 4-8 hours a day with a one-on-one personal trainer? I would cry too!

I wish there were shows like this that showed realistic changes over a normal do-able period of time. If it showed a 6 month period in an hour, even. It's just not realistic to make people thinnk they can lose that quickly!
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

I've watched Gabriella and Marci. I agree that the show is inspirational! It's great to see young women want to change their lives!

BUT...I've been wondering is it healthy to lose 1 pound a day?? I think it's spectacular they are getting to healthy weights, but I just question the amount of time they are doing it in (3 months)...any thoughts?? Seems very drastic to me...I'd love to hear what others think!
LindseyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

I have watched the show and I do like it. People just need to use common sense when watching shows like this and biggest loser. Of course it is alot in the amount of time the shows are on. No it isn't the best way to lose weight but it is tv. And these people I am sure are monitered by doctors. So it is good for inspiration and wonderful to see the end result. But use it for inspiration not a plan on what to do.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #14  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLindseyLouHoo View Post
I've watched Gabriella and Marci. I agree that the show is inspirational! It's great to see young women want to change their lives!

BUT...I've been wondering is it healthy to lose 1 pound a day?? I think it's spectacular they are getting to healthy weights, but I just question the amount of time they are doing it in (3 months)...any thoughts?? Seems very drastic to me...I'd love to hear what others think!
It seems quite drastic to me too. On the other hand, I really enjoy the non-competitive, focused nature of the show; it's inspirational, not exploitative as reality TV can sometimes become.

I just wish the producers would be a little more up-front about how these young women are losing and what kind of medical supervision they have. It would be good if they stressed that such losses are highly unusual and even undesirable without careful monitoring. And if those dates aren't accurate...well, then they're doing a grave disservice to viewers.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 174/170/125

Height: 5'2"

I was surprised that I liked this show, considering it's MTV, but I'm probably going to be a regular watcher after seeing only the first episode. I like in particular how they go into the relationship with the family and how that contributed to the weight problem. I was proud of the girl from the first episode for standing up to her mother, and I also liked that she was outgoing and happy, so viewers saw that overweight girls are not all...well, like Marci.

I agree that the actual weight loss is drastic and unrealistic for people without a TV show and personal trainers and the kind of time and money that these girls so far have been provided. It would be better, I think, to emphasize that gradual is still good and that it's okay not to meet the goal by a certain time. Still, it's better than the type of competition shows where people who are still doing good are eliminated for not doing good enough. Unlike in those shows, the journeys of the people on "I Used To Be Fat" are still seen as valuable, regardless, which is pretty cool.
Eurydice is offline   Reply With Quote