Old 01-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/186.8/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Quitting Smoking during Weight Loss?

So, my fiancé and I decided it was time to quit smoking and start eating well. He needs to gain a little weight, and I need to lose a lot of weight. It just needs to be done! We put the smokes down December 31st (broke all of the ones we had left and threw them away when we went to bed).

Having the support of a wonderful, supportive man is a blessing. And, it actually works out well - we both eat good, healthy foods, he just eats more. And, we will be hitting the gym together asap. Which, is sooooo helpful. We split up when we get there because we both have different things to work on, but just having that buddy to get up and go with is invaluable.

Now, the original point of this post. We decided to quit smoking. We've been doing really well - haven't gotten irritable with each other, haven't cheated, and haven't binged yet. I just wonder if people think this was a stupid idea, or the right idea.

I thought it might be stupid. But, now I am thinking that perhaps it was smart. But, I go back and forth! I feel like maybe the no smoking is making me more active, in that I am constantly up and doing something to occupy my time. I also wonder if paying super-close attention to my food intake helps - I would think it would have to.

The only time it's really difficult is at night, and I'm not sure why. I guess because I was always either snacking or smoking at that time! But, on the bright side - my house is beginning to be spotless! :-)

What do y'all think about the pros and cons of quitting smoking while also beginning a healthy eating program? I just hope I don't crash and burn one day on both fronts!!!

Emmy <3
Emmy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #2  

Oh, and this is day 4 of not smoking, and day 3 of eating well! Fingers crossed that both go well!!!

Emmy <3
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

Emmy I am doing the same thing as you, quitting smoking (for the umpteenth time I might add) and working on losing weight at the same time. For me it's about health. I gave myself one day to eat anything and as much as I wanted and now am working on eating healthy, exercising and not smoking. I feel better and in time will look better and have better health. Whether or not this is the best choice for others is not important to me, only that it IS the best choice for me.
Good luck with your decision to to have a healthy, smoke free 2011!
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #4  

Thanks, huntress! Yes, this is the umpteenth time for me to quit, as well. But, I can honestly say that I truly WANT it this time. Before I did it for other reasons (money, etc.) and wasn't ready. This time, I'm ready. Same with the weight loss. I'm just in a place in my life where I am ready to commit, ready to make a change.

I wish you all the best in your smoke free and healthy journey!!! :-)

Emmy <3
Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205-135 Maintaining since '10

Height: 5'1

...word of advice: suck it up buttercup. You CAN do this. My bf and I quit smoking on Oct. 13- cold turkey. I have lost 15lbs since then. If you can get over the first 3 - 4 days your body will be nicotine free after that the edginess starts to decline. I won't lie. I still crave it periodically, but I've never been so long without a cigarette and I feel healthier than ever so I won't be caving in any time soon.

You need to give yourselves tough love. What is 72 hours, then ten days of your life to give you back years and better health? ...Think about it: your organs are marinating in the garbage that is tar, nictoine and all other chemicals....

Exercise has been my out. A tray of fresh cut veggies and a little bit of calorie-wise dip has been my go-to munch fest. Everyday I go through almost a pound of veggies and I exercise from 60 to 90 mins to destress. I feel GREAT!

you CAN and will do this. Best of luck to you and him!
nads84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Wow-I am glad I saw this thread. DH quit smoking January 1st and hasnt had one since. He kept telling me that we were quitting together and I sort of backed out. I am so scared that I am going to gain the 20lbs I have lost back. I know some are going to read this and say which is worse, getting lung cancer, or gaining a few pounds back.

I do want to quit, for my health and my DD, who is 11. She always ask me to quit smoking. I just dont think I am mentally ready. How on earth did yall get to that point, where you just said enough is enough.

DH said also that the first 3-4 days were the worst and once you could get past that it would get better. Any suggestions would be great. Please no lectures, I know that smoking is a horrible habit. I wish I would have never ever started and really want to set a better example for my kids. Anyone that has quit or is in the process of quitting I would love some of your advice!!
mommy2fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #7  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

i think it's smart. i quit smoking before i became conscious of what i ate and i gained a lot of weight and then struggled to lose the weight i had gained. but this isn't about weight, it's about health and a new lifestyle for you, right?

also, when i quit i used an online support community for that. it really helped. (especially at night). it's quitnet dot com (i remember there is something screwy about posting links but forgot, so i am simply typing it out).
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #8  

nads84: I'm SO glad to hear a success story! AND that you and your boyfriend did it together and no one lost an eye or anything! lol I am beginning to think the worst of our initial cravings are over for now. I have been really busy these past few days, so that helps I think. Thanks for the tough love!

Glenda: I sooooo understand about not being mentally ready. It has taken many, many months of really wanting to quit to get me to this point. I finally decided that enough was enough. And, I figure, if I'm going to be making this big change in my life to be healthier... well, not smoking fits right in! But, people may disagree with me on this, but don't rush into it and set yourself up for failure. Perhaps once your husband has completely quit for a little while, you may see that it's time for you, too. Only you can make that decision. And, I really think that what we are all doing - healthy eating - really helps with it. I have lost a few pounds since I quit, which is quite the opposite of gaining a bunch! Good luck with your quitting journey whenever you decide to take it!
*p.s. What do DH and DD stand for? I've seen someone else use those initials and am curious! Thanks!

Ollie: I think you hit the nail on the head - it's a lifestyle change - if I'm going to be eating well, exercising, etc., why in the world would I keep smoking, right?

Thanks SO MUCH for the words of encouragement, everyone! I think I'm on the right track!!!

Emmy <3
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #9  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Emmy, you can totally do this. I stopped smoking over two years ago and I have continued to lose weight. Smoking is addicting (obviously), but it's also a habit, and most habits take at least 2-3 weeks to be broken (sometimes longer). Good for you for doing this, and stick with it. You'll feel amazing. I could never imagine going back to smoking, and when I see people light up I actually feel really sad for them. It's funny, I have dreams that I'm smoking every once in a while, and I can actually feel it in my throat. They are so realistic that sometimes I wake up and I'm like, "OMG, did I have a cigarette last night?!?!" It will stick with you subconsciously, but you can do it!

Last edited by Emme; 01-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #10  

Thanks a bunch, Emme! I am totally doing it this time! I am actually ridiculously proud of myself this past week. I feel like I gave myself an insurmountable goal in the beginning week - losing weight, quitting smoking, and dealing with PMS - but I've done soooo well! I have lost 9.8 pounds since the 1st, haven't had a smoke, and didn't break down because of the monthly and go get french fries! :-)

Thanks so much for everyone's support on here - it has only been a little over a week for me, but I already know this place is gonna be great for me! :-)

Emmy <3
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Wow You laidies are awesome. I quit smoking with the husband five days ago. It is so hard, but my boys are very excited that mommy isn't going to be smoking anymore.

I tried to quit before, but the DH wouldn't quit. Finally he said he was read and we quit. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be and kind of not that hard. I want a cigarette and I get cranky of course, but I just haven't had one.

Good luck guys and let's try to keep it up!
CosmicGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #12  

Good luck to you and your husband! My fiance has slipped a couple of times, but he is still trying to stay the course. I haven't had one, but I've been super-cranky at times. It is hard, but the fact that I am losing weight at the same time helps - it gives me something to focus on, which is good I think!

Good luck - you can do it!!!!! :-)

Emmy <3