Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm new here

Hey Chickas! I just noticed the alternachick corner of 3FC today but I have been around here for 6 months or more. I have always played it straight on the outside so looking at me you would never guess the things I am into. I do have my nose pierced but that is about the only external indicator of the true me. The older I get the more I realize I don't want to be that way. I have moved many times and don't really have close friends (near me) because I never let anyone get to know ME. Anyway, this year I plan on getting into 2 new things; belly dancing and poi. I have always wanted to do both but never had the guts. This year will be different though. I am turning 30 and need to be more comfortable with who I am. I think this is a good place for me.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #2  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Yay good for you. I should probably do that more.. O_O;; I've had piercings but they never seem to stick... I have gauges in my ears right now but no more lip piercing, no more eyebrow... I had more holes in my ears than I use now... :P I am interested in getting a tattoo eventually. I want a butterfly really bad. My girl gave me that nickname right after we met. I'm nervous about the hurting part though. <_<;;

I was also wondering, what exactly is Poi?

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #3  

Initiative- Love the avatar. I had a belly ring for a bit but it just never healed well so I took it out. I really like my nose ring. I have had it for almost 10 years now.
Poi is basically spinning... it can be silk poi, glow poi, fire poi... fun stuff.

Glow poi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc8N7...eature=related

fire poi. This guy takes a while to get going so you can skip ahead to like a minute in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8eLr...eature=related
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #4  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

Welcome Kay to alternachicks!! I was a late bloomer to showing my "alternachick" side, most definitely. So I understand about how you can be one and not show it.

And thanks for the explanation about Poi. In high school I was actually in the color guard, and we used to actually (among spinning flags) swing chains around. I will have to look into Poi myself, research it a bit. I would think it would be something I could pick up and learn in my adult years. Must research it.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #5  

Hey Martina. I was a drum major and did baton as a kid so I think spinning things has been a thing of mine for awhile too. lol They have staffs and chains and all kinds of things. It just looks like so much fun to me. Now if only I could get some of my coordination back! I have been practicing with sock poi and I have hit myself more than I have actually completed a full move by far!
So yeah I was a drum major, child of two teachers, the youngest child, a girl scout... looking at me from the outside I am a total goodie goodie. Which was always far from the truth but hey. I never got blamed for things or was looked at like I was just a problem child. I so skirted by on my sweet girl image. I stuck with a plain Jane kind of image, I didn't want to stand out much. While I still don't really want to stand out, I want to enjoy my life and pursue things I have always had an interest in but held back for stupid reasons.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #6  

So I just realized I somehow have the wrong link above. The one where he takes awhile to get started is actually this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5UXFRWGeQ

I would love to do this one day but I will settle for some simple moves without setting myself on fire!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #7  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Thanks. ^_^ and I liked that video. It looks like it'd be a lot of fun.. I would be so scared... :P I've tried a lot of different activities and I liked them all, just not the teachers teaching them. All of the classes I took were through college and it was for a grade. The teacher was really awkward. She'd talk about herself in such a way that it was almost like she had her nose upturned to everyone. Not a very good learning environment. Anyways I had that teacher for kickboxing and pilates. But I was in weight training for a few years, as well as soccer and basketball. I've tried volleyball, gymnastics, tennis, bench step, and cross country. Running is NOT my forte though hehe. I was less than a slug to those other girls. :P I much prefer walking, it's nicer and more relaxing. Belly dancing is one of the most interesting things I've seen though. I knew a girl in high school that did belly dancing in front of the whole school for diversity day. She was on the heavier side too and I was so proud of her for having the courage to do something like that. I wouldn't want to show my belly to my entire school.. O_O Scary to think about.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome KayNicole!

Ok, that is how behind I am in performance art/dance. Poi to me is a Hawaiian dish made of taro. I guess you learn something new everyday - LOL!

I highly recommend belly dancing - loads of fun and great exercise!
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #9  

Thanks, mauvaisroux!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 AM   #10  
Set and determined...

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'6"

I really want to do belly dancing too... I know my man would enjoy it. hehe

And wow, Poi looks so nifty! I'll have to research that some more.
Call Me Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote