Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/159/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Milk Alternative?

I'm lactose intolerant but I love cereal! I can handle having cheese and other dairy items semi-well but not milk. Does anyone know a good milk substitute that doesn't have a sweet taste to it? I didn't like horizon or lactaid. I also prefer fat free since I can't stand other sorts of milk
rengetsfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

This may be gross, but have you tried water? Wouldn't hurt to try a small bowl and see how it is - ????
What about rice milk, soy milk, or almond milk (I don't drink any of those so I can't tell you if they're sweet or not - lol).
My MIL used to put orange juice on her cereal.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Different types of milk often have an original version, a vanilla version, and an unsweetened version. Try the unsweetened version of different milks! I found rice milk almost sickeningly sweet (in original though, not unsweetened) and I didn't like it, but I've heard that unsweetened coconut milk can mimic dairy quite well (not the thick kind that comes in a can, the one used as a dairy replacement; this is the one that the store nearest me stocks: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/prod..._beverage.html).
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I love almond milk...an unsweetened original almond milk might be just what you're looking for...not too sweet, but milk-like.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Another vote for unsweetened almond milk.

I'm lactose intolerant, too, and it's interesting that you can taste a difference between regular milk and Horizon (which is what I use). I've never been able to tell a difference - you must have super-power tastebuds.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #6  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I love almond milk...an unsweetened original almond milk might be just what you're looking for...not too sweet, but milk-like.
I absolutely love almond milk. I'm not intolerant, but I like to substitute sometimes. It has a nice rich flavor that can definitely match up to regular milk. ^_^
Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #7  
Looking for Zen

S/C/G: 315/267/180

Height: 5' 10"

My younger sister is allergic to milk, so we never had any in the house.

I can't eat cereal with milk, I portion out a serving and eat it dry like a granola snack.

Which everyone finds weird to eat a bowl of dry cereal, but it's how I grew up.
Jilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #8  
Effort = Success

S/C/G: 212/126/120

Height: 5'5"

I eat cereal like that all the time too. ^_^ Sometimes it just tastes better by itself.

Initiative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiative View Post
I absolutely love almond milk. I'm not intolerant, but I like to substitute sometimes. It has a nice rich flavor that can definitely match up to regular milk. ^_^
Haha maybe I'm just a mutant. I can't stand either soy milk or almond milk alone. They both have an undesirable chalky/papery aftertaste for me. I'm guessing all bean/nut milks might have this particular feature I'm objecting to (I don't mind them in cooking or smoothies where this aftertaste is masked, just hate them on their own/in yogurt). I'm hopeful for coconut milk though, which is next on my list to try!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote