WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2001, 02:37 PM   #1  

Question

I just made my first batch of No Pudge Brownies I heard about on this site. They were OK, but I found the texture really strange. They were moist, but had a very rubbery consistency. I thought their was also a bit of an artificial flavor to them. They weren't bad though, considering they were only 2 points. I was just wondering if I had done something wrong to make them rubbery. Anyone else ever had this problem?
Old 04-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #2  

I'm not sure why they would be rubbery. What type of yogurt did you use? When I've made them I've used nonfat plain yogurt, and the texture's been fine. I'll confess that I only think of the "No Pudge" brownies as being OK. I've had better low-fat brownies. In fact, here's a recipe I've made that makes a really gooey brownie, if that's your thing. (I got it off of a WW at home site, and can't recall her link.)

Chocolate Brownies
5 egg whites
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup cocoa

Mix egg whites, baking powder salt, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Add cocoa and flour and mix well. (I place everything in the food processor and blend until mixed or you can use an electric mixer). Place batter in 9 x 13 pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325 for 18 to 20 minutes. Do not over cook, top should be just done and center gooey.
Makes 20 brownies: each brownie has 95 kcal, 0 fat, and 0 fiber = 2 WW points.
Tip: don't need or want 20 brownies? Cut the recipe in half using 3 egg whites and bake in 8x8 pan
Old 04-01-2001, 09:51 PM   #3  

You can try the recipe I posted for brownies and/or muffin under Dessert area here at 3FC. It is very similar to the NO Pudge ones. I wonder if you might have stirred them to much- my mom made a batch for me the other night from my own mixes (still on crtuches so I don't cook much yet)- I didn't realize it but she stirred them too much and they were not the same consistancy as when I make them- and all the ingrediats were the same since I prepared the mixes. With low fat and fat free baking you have to be very careful- it is such a fine line between something that is great and low in points and something that is icky

Christine
Old 04-02-2001, 01:13 PM   #4  

Thanks for your brownie recipes. I will try them. I used Dannon Light vanilla yogurt for my No Pudge brownies. I doubt I will try making them again. Consistency aside, I thought they had a funny flavor. While grocery shopping this weekend, I found another FF brownie mix by Krusteaz that also come out to 2 pts. per brownie. I am going to try making those and see if they are any better.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:42 PM   #5  

Debbie,
I have used the Krusteaz and they are alot different that the No Pudge. I personally like them both but then again, I am a chocoholic!!
Old 04-05-2001, 12:33 PM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

My favorite low-point brownie has 3 points per brownie, but you cannot tell the difference between these and a regular brownie.

They're called "Michael's Fudge Brownies". You can find the recipe in a cookbook entitled "Chocolate and the Art of Lowfat Desserts". It was written by Alice Medrich, a world-famous pastry chef.

I'm not posting the recipe because it most likely violates copyright law to do so without permission. But it's worth the effort to locate it. The book is still available in major bookstores and online. I haven't made anything in it that wasn't absloutely wonderful. There is also a section of basic recipes in the back that you can use to create your own low-fat desserts, if you like creating new things in the kitchen.

Enjoy!

Lin
Old 04-08-2001, 11:33 PM   #7  

Debbie, i haven't made the No Pudge brownies myself, but when I read your post I thought that perhaps if the Dannon Light yogurt you used had aspartame (Equal) in it, then when you baked the brownies they would have a funky taste. Aspartane can not be used in baking--the high temperature changes it chemically.
Just an idea...
Karin
Old 04-11-2001, 06:47 PM   #8  

Karin-
I will check my yogurt as soon as I get home. I hadn't realized you shouldn't cook with aspartame. Thanks for the tip!

Debbie
Old 04-11-2001, 06:51 PM   #9  

I took the easy way out and purchsed the Hostess Low Fat Brownies which I freeze and eat right out of the freezer. They are only 3 points per brownie and worth every bit of it!

Felicia
Old 04-12-2001, 11:01 PM   #10  

Debbie, you are welcome! what did you find out on your yogurt label? I'm curious because I just bought a package of the no pudge mix and want to try it out.
K
Old 04-16-2001, 12:25 PM   #11  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

My complaint about no pudge is that it is a really small serving size. About 1 inch. My hubby can devour 3 in a sitting. They were OK tasting, but not the best brownie in the world. I definately didn't think they were worth the price I paid.
Old 04-16-2001, 01:50 PM   #12  

Default Cooking with Equal

This is in reply to an earlier post in this thread: you can cook with Equal sweetener. Just wanted to clarify that point.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:19 PM   #13  

Kajon-
My Dannon light yogurt did have aspartame in it, but I was thinking most of the "light" yogurts do. I made the Krusteaz brownies this week. You just mix them with water. I thought they are alot better than the No Pudge, but not as good as a "real" brownie. Still, they were very chocolately and even a small serving really hits the spot if you are having a craving.

Debbie
Old 04-18-2001, 12:21 AM   #14  

Thanks Debbie, I will give the Krusteaze brand a try too.
By the way the previous poster was correct in that you can cook w/equal, but I've copied and pasted some info from the equal website below. I've also had a 6-pack of diet soda that had equal (aspartane) in it that sat in a warm garage for a month or so and it had lost all sweetening flavor--really awful!
The equal website (equal.com) has alot of recipes to explore if any are interested.
Karin

When cooking with Equal, use recipes designed for Equal or add to recipes after removing from heat to maintain sweetness. Prolonged cooking at high heat levels may result in some loss of sweetness.
Old 04-21-2001, 11:09 PM   #15  

Default No Pudge in Canada!

I've been checking out this site for about a week now, and have seen all kinds of postings about these great brownies. I attened my very first WW meeting this morning and the first thing the leader did was hold up the package for No Pudge brownies!! I guess when something's that good, word gets around!

Please, if you have any other tips to share, keep them coming! :-)

Christine
Closed Thread