Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Slightly strange clothes related question

but I'm hoping chickies in this forum will understand, and not think this a wimpy question!

So. At 242lbs and 5'2", my clothes were hyper stretched trouser waistbands and baggy tops.

Now - and especially if I can hack this Christmas weight off quickly - although I am by no means thin or slim or slender, I have some nice clothes that look good.

However, all the years, my whole adult life (apart from about 6 weeks) has been spent in stretched and baggy, so I'm not always sure of the 'right' thing to wear. Generally, I'm happy to give it a go, although I did have to return a flouncy rara skirt I bought - just because it Did fit, didn't mean I should wear it!
So I'm thinking now about my Israel trip, in just over a fortnight. At first, I'd thought it was going to be very cold. I suppose it still could be but the current temperature is 16 degrees celsius, which is 15 degrees above here! and I'm having a re-think.
It's not a whoopitup beach holiday, it's a group of adult church leaders taking a preliminary tour to see if we want to lead a tour ourselves later in this year or next. I only know the one person I'm travelling with.
While I'm searching for my sense of style, do I take clothes that are on the edge of daring? I don't mean revealing, I mean with flair and style and statement.
or do I go with the safe option, and buy a bunch of plain t-shirts to go with a couple of pairs of safe trousers, and look like the middle-aged spinster tourist that I am?

Just batting this around, no big drama, but I'd be interested to hear people's views. My inclination is to opt for style but I don't want to look like a mutton-dressed-as-lamb, middle-aged spinster tourist!

Ta.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #2  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Basics travel better and are more versatile. I would bring some tops and bottoms that I can mix and match, as well as 1 or 2 nice dress for dinners or days you want some flair. Jazz up your travel wardrobe with a few interesting scarves that will keep you warm and add interest to your basics. Some jewelry and quality shoes and bag would round out the looks.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I like the Travelsmith catalog, you might get some ideas there. My female family members that live in Israel tend to wear cropped pants, stylish 3/4 length shirts and scarves, including my very fashionable 80-year-old aunt. A lot of women have short hair because it's so hot and wear exotic earrings and eyeliner. If you plan to visit any synagogues, you might want a skirt that covers below the knee and a light shawl size scarf for modesty. In some synagogues women wear head coverings, they look like doilies, but those are usually provided there if people wear them.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #4  

Height: 1.67m

Since you only know one other person and everyone else have no preformed opinions about you, I would say go for it and test the limits a little bit. Nothing too crazy - that would just make you uncomfortable - but why not go for something you would love to wear but maybe hasn't felt is "you".
You have already said that you want to keep it classy, so I won't comment on that, but no reason classy should be boring!
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

If you have blazer-type jackets for on top, you can wear any kind of beautiful blouse underneath. I'd wear what I know wouldn't put me out of my box. You want to be able to relax and be as natural as you can be.
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
So. At 242lbs and 5'2", my clothes were hyper stretched trouser waistbands and baggy tops.

However, all the years, my whole adult life (apart from about 6 weeks) has been spent in stretched and baggy, so I'm not always sure of the 'right' thing to wear. Generally, I'm happy to give it a go, although I did have to return a flouncy rara skirt I bought - just because it Did fit, didn't mean I should wear it!
So I'm thinking now about my Israel trip, in just over a fortnight. At first, I'd thought it was going to be very cold. I suppose it still could be but the current temperature is 16 degrees celsius, which is 15 degrees above here! and I'm having a re-think.
It's not a whoopitup beach holiday, it's a group of adult church leaders taking a preliminary tour to see if we want to lead a tour ourselves later in this year or next. I only know the one person I'm travelling with.
While I'm searching for my sense of style, do I take clothes that are on the edge of daring? I don't mean revealing, I mean with flair and style and statement.
or do I go with the safe option, and buy a bunch of plain t-shirts to go with a couple of pairs of safe trousers, and look like the middle-aged spinster tourist that I am?

Just batting this around, no big drama, but I'd be interested to hear people's views. My inclination is to opt for style but I don't want to look like a mutton-dressed-as-lamb, middle-aged spinster tourist!

Ta.
If stretch trouser waistbands or stretched and baggy means polyester then I would advise natural fabrics - cotton and silk. And it is more comfortable to boot!

I have no idea what a flouncy rara skirt is!

Since you are with a church group, even if it is not your church, by being in their group you still represent that group to others, I would save the edge of daring for the UK.

However, definitely go with the flair and style in your accessories as River suggested. They can easily be removed if you find yourself in a situation that is too conservative.

I SO envy you!!!!
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkerbelle View Post
Since you only know one other person and everyone else have no preformed opinions about you, I would say go for it and test the limits a little bit. Nothing too crazy - that would just make you uncomfortable - but why not go for something you would love to wear but maybe hasn't felt is "you".
You have already said that you want to keep it classy, so I won't comment on that, but no reason classy should be boring!
I agree with this. We know you're not going to go wild, but with this group you know you would be getting an honest reaction, rather than a comparison to the norm from your everyday life.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #8  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I second the dressing up clothes you feel comfortable in with accessories. Maybe one piece at a time that push your limits a little to get used to dressing more stylishly. I know what you mean by the more daring clothes. I have never worn fashionable clothes and feel conspicuous and "daring" in them. I have two pairs of wedge-heel sandals that I bought on sale last spring and all I do is stare at them, completely afraid of them. My clothing has never said anything about me, and I'm not sure what these sandals are "saying". I've never worn talking clothing before?! Luckily, it's still too cold to wear them - maybe by spring I'll be ready.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkerbelle View Post
I completely agree with this too! That's one difficulty I'm having about wearing more fashionable things, that I feel weird around people who I've worn the same few things that fit for YEARS. I see these beautiful skirts and dresses and blouses and think that I couldn't pull it off - but if you're going with people who don't know you this is a great opportunity to try some nice alternatives and to get used to the nice fashionable things you can now wear!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #10  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

My vote is for stylish clothing that you've been wanting to wear. If you pick out a few classics--a sweater set, a button-down white shirt, a "little black dress"--in your style, you'll manage to both look very "you" and look completely appropriate.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

the best clothing options are always ones that FIT. Once you fit the biggest part of you comfortably, anything else can be tailored down. If you feel comfy & fashionable in it, you're good to go -- heck, you're in a foreign country live a little!

My basic travel gear is always pairs of dark pants that fit well, and some pretty patterned tops that be dressed up a bit with some jewellery... and more casual khakis etc. for hiking around and exploring. I'm sure you'll do great!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/143/132

Height: 5.9

Hi there,

I am a long-time lurker - although I did post a few messages when I joined about a year ago.

Since I'm actually an Israeli I thought I can at least give you some pointers in regard of weather.

It's been the warmest winter I remember since for ever and if it continues during your stay, prepare yourself to temperatures the equivalent of a pleasant spring day in England!

Nonetheless, in Jerusalem it can get quite cold in the evenings so you probably should be ready with a good warm sweater or even a coat.
On your daytrips - I suggest layering. Short sleeves with a light jacket is probably best.

I think I remember you said you're going to Tiberias as well? It sits low so it's one of the warmest places in Israel. If this crazy weather continues you could easily enjoy a dip in the Sea of Galilee so maybe bring along a bathing suit?

I'd be glad to help in any other way - feel free to ask me anything or PM me.

Have a geat trip!

Na'ama
Naama is offline   Reply With Quote