Old 04-02-2003, 12:19 PM   #1  

Question south beach diet

hey everyone!!!
new to the board yesterday, and cant get enough info.
i was watching "The View" today, and they introduced a diet i'd never heard of.......... South Beach Diet. the DR that developed it was there and it was very appealing. has anyone tried this low carb diet, or "change of life-style" as the DR says??
of course, a book is available, but wanted to see if anyone had tried it b4 buying the book.
thx!!!
sandy
Old 04-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #2  
Big Loser

I have never heard of it! Fill us in....
Old 04-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #3  

well, i dont know a lot, as the segment was only about 5 mins long, but...............
it sounds a lot like atkins,but tweaked a bit. low carbs, like veggies/fruit for 1st 2 weeks. protein like atkins, and for fats, no butter( bummer) but olive or canola oil.
no counting calories, no portion restrictions ( i will tho ) and the big thing was, was to make sure you eat breakfast ( eggs are good ) and make sure you are getting in your snack b4 your cravings kick in. so if you eat breakfast at 7, and lunch at noon, make sure to get a snack by 9:30-10am. if cravings kick in, you're doomed. he suggests for snacks, cheese or yogurt.
im going to get the book, i'll be able to write more after reading it. thx, hope this helps someone and ME!!!!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:25 AM   #4  

Default South Beach Diet

Hi,

I am new here but wanted to chime in and say that I have the book South Beach Diet, have read it, and am planning to start the diet this weekend.

It is similar to Atkins with less restriction on vegtable carbs in first two weeks ( he calls it Phase 1, but is similar to induction) and then slow add back of carbs after that... but, it allows more fruits and some grains and others like sweet potatoes much faster than Atkins.

It was developed by a Dr. Arthur Agatston, cardiologist in Florida for his patients after his research indicated that insulin resistance was a serious health threat for his heart patients.

He says most of his patients lose anywhere from 8 to 13 pounds in the first two weeks.

Very easy reading book... good recipes and plans...

There is also an outline of the diet in this month's ( May edition) of Prevention Magazine.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:53 AM   #5  

Hmmm I wonder if they'll create a North Beach Diet, and East Beach Diet, Or a West Beach Diet Next.. Sheesh I would love to know how they come up with these names.. I mean afterall.. Low carbing is low carbing right?? LOL
Old 04-04-2003, 11:08 AM   #6  

yeah, JoAnne you are right.. It is all low carbing... but, I guess everybody wants to get their two cents in, literally.

I gather this diet was named South Beach cause that is where this doctor's practice is.

but, I am excited about giving it a try...Looks very livable.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #7  

thanks katie~~
i'm gonna give it a shot too. if you want to do it "together" let me know. i havent gone grocery shopping yet, so im not sure when i'll begin, sun or mon probably. e-mail, im, or pm me. how much are you looking to lose? where do you live? let me know.
i need to go buy the book. is it in paperback??
Old 04-04-2003, 01:18 PM   #8  

Default South Beach Diet

Sure, Sandy,

I would love to have a buddy to check in with!

I plan on starting Sunday... grocery shopping and getting everything I need tonight and tommorrow. I have about 70 pounds to lose.

The book is a hard back and was $24 bucks or so at Barnes and Noble.. It has a blue cover.

But, if you go to the Prevention Mag website, they have a good rough outline of it. sorry, I don't have the link.

Book has lots more meal plans, of course, and details and recipes..

And while he does go into the "medical science" of why this plan works.. it was a much easier read for me than Dr. Atkins books. Just as much info, but in a more condensed version and easier to read.

but, that is just my opinion on that.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #9  

ok katie, its official- start date 4-6-03.
i have about 50-60 lbs, but i dont want to think that far ahaead/ lets set short term goals that are attainable, and we wont get discouraged. how much water do we need to be drinking??
oh, i did go to the prevention website and printed off what they had. good start, but i want the book. i am sooo excited you want to do this together. here's to our SUCCESS!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:48 AM   #10  

Default South Beach Diet

I ended up starting today. Monday.. , had too much going on over the weekend.. I need to go back and look at the book about water, but, I am sure it is the ususal 8 glasses routine.

time change was tough to adjust to this morning.. but, I did it.. got in my nice balanced, low carb breakfast.... tomato juice, peice of Canadian bacon and eggs.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #11  

I wonder if I could be part of your group that started the South Beach Diet today. I received my book on Saturday and started out my morning with egg substitute, canadian bacon and V-8 juice. I also need to lose at least 50 lbs and I hope to do it by December. I purchased my book from Amazon on-line and was surprised how quickly I received it. I see it is also listed on e-bay, but the bids are pretty high. Hope you will let me do this along with you.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:34 PM   #12  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

JOANNE, actually, the SOUTH BEACH DIET (we call it SOBE down here) has been around for a long time. Each year local TV station Channel 10 along with grocery store PUBLIX tries to get the local community to do it. They talk about it and the plan on the TV and Publix prints the pamphlets for the different weeks.

It's named that because the Dr. who "developed" it works at a hospital on Miami Beach

It's actually very similar to SUGAR BUSTERS which is what I've been following for 3 years now.

Continued success to you all!!!

Debbie
Moderator of the SB BOARDS
Old 04-07-2003, 07:04 PM   #13  

hey katie- congrats on starting. today is my day #2. drank 10 cups of water yesterday, i surprised myself. got thru yesterday, almost effortless. today was a little harder. had a headache most of the afternoon. was wondering if lack of carbs or withdrawal of carbs could have been the cause. im on my 8th cup of water, so 10 will probably be my daily #. i need to get the book. im winging it, but have have cheese or nuts for my snacks, no bread, pasta, fruit, sugar. does the book talk about headaches at all? also, does the book specify what kind of yogurt to buy?? they all seem very high carbs.
Cacikat- you're more than welcome to join in. the more support the better. i am soo psyched up for this.
look forward to hearing back from you both and anyone else who is interested.
everyone, stay strong, believe in yourselves, and remember success is in each of our hands. WE CAN DO THIS. lets make this effort the last one, the one that works, the one we keep for a lifetime.
oh, by the way, expected 10" of snow here tonight in CT. Boo.....
Old 04-07-2003, 11:58 PM   #14  

I read about The South Beach Diet in prevention this month. So I thought I would give it a try. I am a carb JUNKIE. Today was my first day and it seemed OK. I had a headache tonight but wasn't sure if that was SOBE or lack of sleep. Well I look forward to hearing everyone's successes.

Rebecca
starting SOBE 163 lbs
Old 04-08-2003, 06:46 AM   #15  

Wink

Sandy, On the first two weeks of this diet, you are not allowed any dairy products and no fruits. You are allowed 1 whole or 10 cherry tomatoes with each meal. You can also have sugar-free jello with 1 tablespoon fat-free whipped topping.
I did pretty well yesterday except for my water intake. Does anyone know of an easy way to make the water go down?
I didn't see anything in the book that talks about headaches and this is the first low-carb diet I have ever tried, so maybe it is just the withdrawal frm carbs. Hope this diet turns out to be something that works and that is easy to live with. Have a great day.
Caci