Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~January Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? How about the 60 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Dr. Weil also had this recipe on his site this morning. I stay away from spuds, rice and corn because I don't want to waste my calories on them. But I think I'll try this recipe, it sounds delicious and not too bad for calories.

Quote:
Stuffed Potatoes

Description
It can be difficult to coax your loved ones into eating five servings a day of vegetables (as nutritionists recommend). That's why this recipe cleverly incorporates broccoli into a baked potato. Broccoli is an excellent source of fiber and cancer-fighting antioxidants. Potatoes are a universally loved vegetable loaded with vitamins C and B-6, potassium and fiber. And, best of all, this recipe is low in fat. You can make the stuffed potatoes ahead and reheat them when everyone is ready to eat.

Ingredients
3 large baking potatoes
2 large stalks broccoli
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1-2 tablespoons lowfat milk, rice milk or soy milk
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
1. Scrub the potatoes and make shallow cuts around their middles to make it easier to cut them in half after baking. Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees until soft, about 1 hour, depending on the size of the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, cut the ends from the stalks of broccoli and peel some of the outer skin off to make the stems more edible. Steam the broccoli until crunchy-tender and bright green. Drain and chop fine.
3. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Add the salt, olive oil and just enough rice or soy milk to allow you to mash the potatoes into a smooth paste. Add the Parmesan cheese and the chopped broccoli and mix well.
4. Pile the mixture back into the potato shells, arrange on a baking dish and heat them to desired temperature.
Serves 6
Nutrients Per Serving
Calories: 135.8
Protein: 5.0 grams
Fat: 3.1 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.7 grams
Monounsat Fat: 1.8 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.3 grams
Carbohydrate: 23.8 grams
Fiber: 3.6 grams
Cholesterol: 1.6 mg
Vitamin A: 926.8 IU
Vitamin E: 0.6 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 77.1 mg
Calcium: 65.4 mg
Magnesium: 40.0 mg

Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Bobbi, Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like a really good idea for lunch. And why don't you eat potatoes and corn? I know they are starchey vegetables but they are both full of neutrition.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 PM   #4  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Quick check in...... The WeatherFools predicted 10", but we got about 2".... (they're mostly men, and we all know that most men think 3" is really 9", don't we???????). Anyway, I have to go shovel the wee bit and then heigh to WalMart for..... ta da! SamCat's kitty stroller! I'm so excited! I'll take pictures.....

Bobbi, did you have a headache this morning?

Warm, dry, and SAFE, Everyone! Stay inside tonight!

Last edited by jess1; 12-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #5  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, Lordy....I was hoping for it not to be January until tomorrow! (I have until midnight tonight to continue with my nasty eating habits - Chinese food at dd's - and then it's back up on that danged wagon for THIS fat chick.) Well, I have created my first weeks menu (Jan 1 - Jan 7) complete with calorie & nutrition counts. I'm sticking with high fiber, relatively low fat, and lots of fruits and veggies. Also meatloaf made with ground turkey & Fiber One cereal grated in the blender in place of bread crumbs; chili made with the leftover roast pork tenderloin from Sunday's dinner; pasta sauce made with turkey sausage & ground turkey meat; turkey kielbasa w/cabbage, petite carrots & onions....well, you get the idea. I'm figuring on staying right around 1500 calories a day, which enables me not to feel too deprived while at the same time losing the weight slowly but surely. By spring, I hope to be slim and svelte again (yup - for about the hundredth time ).
DEFINITELY looking forward to pictures of that cat stroller, PT....try to get a few pics before Samcat shreds it...
Bobbi, I swear I do not know how you do all that cooking and baking and laundering and all the chores and running around with that constant headache. If I had that going on, I'd be curled up in a ball somewhere with the blinds closed tight. You're amazing!
Okay...got to run, now - errands and such to take care of, and then before you know it, the ball will be dropping in NYC, and it'll be 2011! Omigosh, I didn't think about it before this, but it'll be 2011 here before it's 2011 for a whole lot of you GG's!!!! Hah. Interesting thing, time...isn't it?
Sooooo....wishing a Happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to all!!!! (See you next year, friends!)

Z
Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #6  
Bobbi

Freda...One small 4oz. baked potato with nothing on it has 225 calories. 1/2 cup of corn with nothing on it has 90 calories. I'd much rather spend my calories on a huge pile of vegetables like green beans with mushrooms, steamed broccoli, etc. I'm a bulk eater and if I ate one small potato, I'd be hungry soon after. I'm in the process of making those broccoli twice baked potato right now. I'm waiting for the spuds to cool at bit. I learned one trick from this recipe that works super, he/she said to make shallow cuts around their middles to make it easier to cut them in half after baking. I did that and WOW, not only easy to cut in half but the edges kinda seals and makes for a firmer edge around the top. Try it!

Quote:
Bobbi, Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like a really good idea for lunch. And why don't you eat potatoes and corn? I know they are starchey vegetables but they are both full of neutrition.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #7  
Bobbi

Update on the stuffed potatoes..........blah! They were very bland, won't make again. If anyone tries them, please use some seasoning on them. They looked pretty, had a nice brown crust on the top. I think next time I'll make the cauliflower mashed potatoes and season with herbs, stuff the potatoes. We couldn't taste the 2 Tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese, added calories for nothing.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #8  

Hi everyone HAPPY NEW YEAR may we all be blessed with health and good fortune. we are staying in. weve had two days of heavy wet snow. mydh is out with the snowblower clearing our and neighbors yard. ive got spaghetti sauce and mini meatballs simmering for his dinner.the suns out and theres a zillion(itseemslike) nut hatches and chickadees on the bird feeder,luv to watch them the 2 diff kinds wont be on the feeder at the same time but take turns lol hoping your evening is fun rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 12-31-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #9  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

PT/Zoe, you wicked doubter! Here are two pictures of SamCat in the stroller... we practiced with a turn or two around the house, and he just sat up and looked! It was too cold to go outside with him today, but I'm anxious to see how he does with distractions. It looks like he might be just fine with this!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samcat in Stroller 12-31-10.jpg (25.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Samcat in Stroller - 12-31-10.jpg (28.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by jess1; 12-31-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #10  
Catthill

S/C/G: 303/197/170

Height: 5'5"

Default orange sweet potatoes

thanks for the potato recipe update. Bland is not good. I too like potatoes but it's hard without the butter. lately I have made mashed sweet potatoes with orange juice in place of the milk and very small amount of butter. I plant to try them without any butter at all.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Donna -- too bad we don't live close together we could take some really nice walks!! Glad that he likes it -- that should be so much fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SM.jpg (3.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg SMCAOHW394.jpg (3.1 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy New Year's Eve everyone. I was excited to have New Year's Eve off, then got to thinking and the excitement quickly faded ~ have to go to bed early (9:30 pm) to get up at 4:45 for work in the am. So, no ball drop for me this year. I remember the first time I saw it ~ I was in grade school ~ my parents let us kids stay up late to see it. They had built it up to be such a cool thing. Waited and waited and then it happened ~ I said ~ is that all it is? I don't know what I thought it was gonna be, but I expected something other than what I actually saw. Now I enjoy seeing it

I can hear celebrations around the neighborhood ~ people setting off fireworks.

I have been having a quiet evening ~ reading a book I got for my mom before I send it to her. She was telling me about the Ohio Bicentenial barns and how she would like to see them. I found a web site that showed a picture of each and was going to print those for her, since she would probably not ever be able to travel around and see them all. There is one in each of Ohio's 88 counties. Then got to thinking that maybe there was a book. Found one ~ used ~ a retired library book in wonderful condition. Has a picture of each barn on one page and on the opposite page a little information/story about the barn and the people who own it, it's location and which order it was painted. The fellow who painted them was 19 years old when he started. I think I had read that it took 2 years to complete them all. Very interesting book ~ nicely done. I can't wait to get it sent to her and send her on her journey.

I had said that I wanted to do personals, but got side tracked and an now running out of time. Guess I will have to do it after the weekend of work.

Hope you all are having a nice evening.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg another happy new year 2011.jpg (28.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by glynne; 12-31-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:50 PM   #13  
Bobbi

I'm shutting my computer down for the night so I'll wish you a Happy New Year to all my Golden Girl friends. Thanks for all the support through 2010,
There is Value in us
There is Power in us

There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #14  

I am so glad I found you all. I will be 57 in 2 days, so this is one of the places I belong. Is this where I would post a bio telling a little about myself, or on one of the stickies??

This seems like a caring place to be.... I have been lurking for awhile.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Welcome Bunti! And Happy New Year!!! So glad that you have joined us and know that you will love being here!!! You can post either place or both! We are so glad to hear from you! Now going to get back to my New Years/anniversary champagne with my hubby!

Sure hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!!
Closed Thread