Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default 2 yr old exercising with me . . .

I'm just wondering if this is an ok thing for him to be doing.

He's not going full tilt - just want to throw that out there - and the 'weights' he uses are plastic wrenches from his tool box that look like free weights, they weigh next to nothing. (cute expression on his face when he lifts them up though)

Im just wondering if it's going to have an adverse effects on him being so young. That may sound silly - but I don't know or I wouldn't ask.

If I'm doing a cardio video, he tries to mimc the moves, he looks like he is having a good time, laughin and spinning around or kicking his feet in front of him. The pushups he does are funny, he lays flat on the floor, then rolls over (I just think thats cute) and when he's tired he will stop.
He dances around to the music in the back ground, I assume he thinks he's doing the same "dance" mom is doing, claps, screams YAY and dances around a little more when he's done.

I try to get it in while he's asleep - but occasionally in the mornings he wakes up and just kind of joins in . . . . any thoughts?
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I think that's awesome. Yes, kids will mimic everything you do, whether you want them to or not. Why not teach him to mimic exercise? If he learns early on that exercise is a fun family activity, he'll have a great head start in life.

Just keep to yourself about the 'I'm too fat, this is why I'm doing this' or those other more negative type things (not right now but at an older age he could pick up on that) and stick with, 'exercise makes me feel good and it's fun, what other games could we play together' and you're molding a happy healthy boy.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201.6

Height: 5'1"

My four year old girl does the Jillian Michael's DVD with me (on the rare occasion that I actually do it), we also do to "just dance" for WII, I use it as a workout and she uses it just to dance, but she calls it a "workout."

I see it as a positive thing, and it promotes a healthy lifestyle as they grow, add in healthy foods and encourage him to workout with you, he will be healthier and will learn to make the right decisions when it comes to food, and also be more active and have tons of energy....but maybe too much
Genipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

I think having kids workout with you is awesome! Oddly enough I just wrote a post about a fun way to get kids involved. Lol.

One of my favorite parts of working out with kids is they remind you that exercise really CAN be fun. I encourage it wholeheartedly! Although do keep an eye on them while doing the activities, just cuz they're more flexible doesn't mean they can't injure themselves.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter-Runner

S/C/G: 309/158/164

Height: 5'8

I have 2 year old twins and a five year old. We all hike/stretch and run around together all the time! It's setting them up for a healthy & active lifestyle. all things with common sense and moderation and he'll be good! My twins love to carry around and pretend like they are lifting my 3lbs hand weights, it's cute!
twinmommaplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/243/175

Height: 5'9"

That is adorable that he likes to join you while you exercise. Mine always want to jump on my tummy as soon as I sit down to do sit ups. It's been awhile since I have actually done those.
Lexipain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #7  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

That is cool! At one of the gyms I used to go to, a 4yr old used to accompany her mother to the classes. These classes were at 5.30 a.m so you can imagine how early it must be for a little tot. But she insisted on going with her Mom and she used to do her version of exercise. Of course she would get tired after about 20mins but I always admired her and noted to myself that I am sure that in about 20 years time when she is still exercising, she would be grateful for such an early start.

Last edited by Slim CB; 12-29-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreyyena View Post
Just keep to yourself about the 'I'm too fat, this is why I'm doing this' or those other more negative type things (not right now but at an older age he could pick up on that) and stick with, 'exercise makes me feel good and it's fun, what other games could we play together' and you're molding a happy healthy boy.
I wholeheartedly agree! When I do videos, my 2 year old likes to watch or join in - I need to do more videos! I was thinking of getting kinect, and he could do that with me too possibly. I think it's great to model such a healthy activity!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #9  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreyyena View Post
The only thing my son hears about exercise (as much as he can understand at this age) is exercise makes you healthy, being healthy makes you happy.

Thanks all for the responses, I don't know why I was worried, maybe thinking it was going to start some obsessive behaviours with him. But you're all right, making it 'normal' and fun right from the start is a great habit for him to have, and honestly, I know that there will come a day when he doesn't want to do things with mom, so I better enjoy it now .
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #10  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

What could be bad about teaching your child to enjoy exercise? My 2 year old daughter does workout videos with me as well. I laugh harder and burn more calories!! it's just like you running around the backyard or kicking a ball around with your child. Enjoy!
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM   #11  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Kids generally love moving, especially at that age! The aversion to exercise is generally learned at older ages, and having him play along now is a great thing to do!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

like martha stewart always said, its a good thing.

my 3 year old has been dancing or trying to do exercises with me.
he also jumps on me and i try to make him "fly" with just me arms while on my back, He loves it and it wears me out lol.

i also try to play tug o war with my 55lb dog, she doesn't let go lol, i can even lift her with the rope. (the joy of an american staffordshire terrier )

i've learned exercise can be fun for the whole family
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote