Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/255/150

Height: 5' 2"

Question newbie needing help deciding

Hi guys, I am new here and I see that there are a lot of different groups here on a lot of different programs. I have made the commitment to myself to lose 100 pounds in 2011. I now weigh 254 and am 5'2" tall. I plan to start an exercise program next week when my kids go back to school and I have that all organized. What I am lacking is a program I can do and stick with. I have tried Atkins, CC, and WW in the past and WW is the only one I stuck with long enough to lose weight. I would like some people to tell me about what works for them to help me decide what to do at this point.
Any advice or stories about your experience would be helpful.
Thanks
RN150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Hi RN and welcome.

You can definitely lose 100lbs in 2011 and it won't even be as hard as you think, if you set your mind to it.

Different plans work better for different people. The best plan is the one that you truly believe you can stick to every single day for at least a whole year, and then more or less for the rest of your life. For that reason, I'm a fan of what many of us here do: counting calories.

I started eating 1200-1300 calories a day, while at the same time banning all the stuff that I had a super hard time with (candy, sweets, baked goods, pasta and rice, and salty snacks.) I almost always eat a serving of lean protein and a bunch of veggies for both lunch and dinner. I always choose single serving snacks, like a small yogurt, a single fruit, or a cheese stick, to help with portion control. There has been a lot of trial and error. I log my calories on fitday and I've experimented with a lot of different ways to get in my calories. Many people eat a much higher allotment than 1200 and still lose, but 1200-1300 seemed to work very well for me and I wasn't hungry.

What's interesting is that I've noticed a lot of the big losers here at 3FC eventually sort of adopt a similar style of eating with lean protein and a lot of bulky veggies taking center stage, but most of us got there by trial and error. Some people include planned treats and others have lists of NO foods- that seems to be very individual.

Good luck choosing a plan, and check in here often. You are going to do GREAT. I'm sure it seems hard now, but once you get started it will be much easier than you think!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #3  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Lots of us have been at this for a long time. The first rule of weight loss is there is no specific plan that will work for everyone. In fact, I think the most successful people have used trial and error and have picked out specific things that work for them. For me, I'm primarily a calorie counter that goes to weight watchers for the meetings, but otherwise, I don't follow the program.

There are so many things you need to decide. Are you an emotional eater? Are there certain food that are trigger foods? Do you binge? Are you a night eater, etc. etc. There are strategies to help deal with each person's specific experience.

At least for right now, you could try calorie counting/ portion control and choosing healthy foods.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Good Luck to you. I think everyone has to figure out what works for them so I am not saying what I am doing is the best. It is just what is working for me.

I am around 1200 calories. I eliminated bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets (sugar). I eat fruits and vegetables, a lot of protein, salads and mornigstar veggie patties, Think Thin protein bars, and protein shake. I strength train 3 times a week to keep muscle even though I eat so little and I cardio 1 hour 6 days a week. When I am hungry during the day I try to drink up on a Crystal Light drink- my fav is the fiber added.
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #5  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

My plan is alot like Ubers. I tried to keep my calories in check 1400-1600 at first and lowered it as I got used to it.I never wanted to feel starved.

I started my exercise slow as in I vowed to walk my neighborhood 3 times a week for 1 mile and built up in time , distance and more times each week.I pushed myself once walking was easy I went to running. Then added in extra classes like boot camp and kickboxing.

I had a list of NO foods. I had a list of go to foods. I made the switch to drink more water and eventually gave up soda all together. I had a list of what I could eat if I was stuck having fast food so I knew the calories. I held myself to the fire , I weighed in weekly at home. I had a 1/2 pack m&ms once a week for my chocolate fix.I needed that control treat each week for awhile.

I read alot of online success stories and recipes. I made a habit of having something for breakfast. I wanted to be healthy. I wanted to succeed. I am now a workout junkie and calorie queen. I love water and running. My life has done a total change and yours can too!

Last edited by Nikki6kidsmom; 12-29-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:57 AM   #6  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi Rn! Welcome to 3FC
I agree with all the posters- I personally count calories because it is so easy and cheaper
I have a family friend who has started the new ww points plus and it has worked very well with her. She has been in a stall for a while and it made her scale move nicely.
I do the calories cycling plan. In the beginning I was eating 1200 calories daily but I went into a stall that was a bad one. So I read about calorie cycling (I googled it) and gave it a try. The dreaded stall ended and I was sold! So now I have between 1200-1500 calories daily.
Also I really believe in keeping a weight journal. It has been a wonderful tool for me to see patterns and learn how to recognize what normal weight loss looks like. I log the date, my weight, food, etc. And I took all my measurements from my neck to my ankles. Because there will be times the scale doesn't move but the measurements do. And it is a good way to keep up with your progress.
You can do this darlin! Congratulations and Happy New Year!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN150 View Post
Hi guys, I am new here and I see that there are a lot of different groups here on a lot of different programs. I have made the commitment to myself to lose 100 pounds in 2011. I now weigh 254 and am 5'2" tall. I plan to start an exercise program next week when my kids go back to school and I have that all organized. What I am lacking is a program I can do and stick with. I have tried Atkins, CC, and WW in the past and WW is the only one I stuck with long enough to lose weight. I would like some people to tell me about what works for them to help me decide what to do at this point.
Any advice or stories about your experience would be helpful.
Thanks
"Commitment". That's a favorite buzz word around here. If you have that, you are golden. "Commit" to seeing just how far you can get one year from now without giving up even when the scale doesn't cooperate and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

The folks here are so wise! I love the posts above mine!

Like they've all said, diets tend to evolve, so don't worry about getting the particulars just right at first. Start where you are and plan on tweaking as you learn and as the mood hits. I personally started with straight calorie counting with the help of pre-counted packaged items like Slim Fast, protein bars and Lean Cuisines. My diet has evolved from that to being almost entirely made up of whole foods and very little processed.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Weight Watchers (and being committed) is working for me. I eat a whole foods based diet, but my portions had gotten out of control over the past few years. I'm weighing and measuring everything that goes in my mouth (very easy) and am loving the results - both in terms of how I feel and what the scale is telling me.

Good luck!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #9  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

If you crave pasta, don't give it up -- go whole grain. It's very filling and a reasonable portion isn't too bad.
Come up with some exercise you can do even when the kids are out of school.
Whatever your plan, stick with it and you will succeed.
You are worth it, and your kids need you healthy! You'll enjoy their childhoods more if you are feeling your best.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote