General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Who is your land line carrier?

We are going to get rid our our $30/mo AT&T land line. We have NO benefits with them and don't need a land line for anything more than the Dish.

Who do you use? What are your benefits? How much? Any contract?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well generally, you are limited to who you can use for a land line based on the area you live. If you are paying $30/month, I'd suggest asking them about a metered line. Ours is $8/month plus 5 cents per call.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

We don't have a land line anymore. As far as the dish goes, you can do most things online with Dishnetwork, otherwise once in a great while I have to call them, but no big deal.

We have only cell phones, no one was ever calling our landline anyway. I also run my internet through a wireless card from my cell phone company.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

We also don't have a land line. We now both have cell phones, but until recently we had a Trak phone (pre-paid) for emergencies, and used skype for all incoming and outgoing calls.

Our land line bill had been $50 or more a month because I called my out-of-state family members quite a bit. Skype cost us less than $60 per year (and it was free to my family, because they had skype too and skype-to-skype calls were free).

We used a headset for phone calls, and had the speakers of our computer turned up when we wanted to hear the phone ring (usually we screened our calls, but turning down the speakers), but you can buy a phone to plug into the back of your computer, so it's virtually indistinguishable from a land line.

You pay for incoming calls at a rate per month or the quarter, and you pay for outgoing calls by the minute. All calls are charged the same rate, so you don't pay any more for long-distance (or any less for local), but it still came out hugely cheaper for us (and I think the rate is only a couple cents per minute).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #5  

The main advantage to having a land line is power outages. If you live in an area where they are uncommon, a land line isn't necessary. Having lost power but not phone service for 3-5 days on several occasions, during blizzards, ice storms, and hurricanes, I like having a land line, since my cell does not work at my house and uses up its battery ridiculously quickly (under 24 hours) searching for service.

I live in the northeast, which was just socked with another storm. Fortunately, we still have power. Yeah!
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:58 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I think it boils down to what is best for you in your area, and what you want the service to do for you.

Out here in the sticks of western Nebraska, Qwest is our local phone service/long distance service. I would happily, a few years ago, bundled my cell phones, high speed dsl, tv and land line if they offered it. But they don't. Dumb thing is the high speed cable is buried next to the railroad tracks, 1/2 mile from my house.

That said, we are not a prime market for Qwest and with the advances in tech, they will never offer those service bundles here. Because others are offering better deals, and beating them to the market. So, I took the best alternative for me.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

My soul is owned by Cox Communications

I have had the same phone number for 41 years, since I was 15. I try not to give my cell phone number out to too many people as I hate to be called at work for BS stuff. I imagine I will always have both. My service for the land line runs just under $20 a month.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote