South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/149/125

Height: 5' 2 1/2"

Default On Plan Holiday Options

I started to think about what I might have for christmas dinner.. (and brunch). And everything I came up with wasn't too SB friendly.. We're not having anyone too picky over, so I could get away with a healthy dinner.. I'm just curious as to what everyone else plans on doing? Are you cooking? If so, do you have to cook separate healthy options just for you? Are you doing sugar free desserts or indulging?

(I'm on phase 1.5)

I'd love some input!
oddreee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Turkey, sweet potatoes, broccoli or some kind of veggie are all good SB choices on my table.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

I'm going over to someone else's house for Christmas this year, they're like extended family so I don't want to get too weird. I'm not sure if I'll make a sugar free dessert or not. I will bring a "safe" side dish though. I think I'm going to play with a kohlrabi and ham gratin this week. If that doesn't come out too well, I'll do my normal cheesy cauliflower. That, with the usual green beans, etc. and meat seems to get me through holiday gatherings just fine. And since there's cheese involved, it doesn't get too neglected at our health food out the window get togethers.

If I bring a dessert, I'm considering sugar free eggnog cheesecake. We'll see.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #4  

Southlake-- Have you brought something like that to get togethers before? How does it normally go over? Let me know how the ham gratin turns out!

I wanted to do a standing rib roast-- which will take up the oven all day. so I need some stove-top sides...
Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #5  
One Day At A Time

Height: 5.6

Hi oddree, lovely thread!

I am thinking pumkin with lots of cinnamon in a cake with eggs and ricotta cheese? Would that be sort of on plan?

And cocoa powder with yoghurt and nuts... frozen?

Yeah, sweet potatoes as well would do great!
hope for recovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I can't figure out what I'm gonna be doing for Christmas, I'll ask my Dad.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

For brunch, my family will have our "traditional" ham, havarti and pumpkin bread. I'll make OP pumpkin bread to supplement the one my mom makes and go easy on the other items. I may even make some scrambled eggs.

Our dinner will be roast chicken, cauliflower smashed potatoes, green beans and salad. I'll make some cranberry sauce and will get Ezekial bread to give to my mom so she can use that for the stuffing. I'll have to think about dessert.....
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

If you haven't already check out Kalyn's Kitchen, south Beach friendly and lots of holiday recipes. I'm heading over there now to look for a couple of new things to bring to the folks.

There are some yummy recipes here too including this thread

Last edited by CyndiM; 12-21-2010 at 09:01 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

oddree- It's gone over surprisingly well. Converted a few cauliflower haters at Thanksgiving this year, actually. It's a little better in the oven, but I made it in the crockpot this year and it worked out pretty nicely.

I tried to make the gratin last night, but couldn't find a single grocery store in town that had kohlrabi. So, I'm back to the drawing board.

On the stove, I also like a nice pan roasted green bean with just a little bit of oil, and some garlic or shallots. Also good with a touch of balsamic. And, make sure to check out kalyn's kitchen. She has the best collection of South Beach recipes I've ever seen, and I've like all of the ones I've tried from her site.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #10  

Awesome ideas! Thank you for the link--I'm all over Kalyn's Kitchen now!

I was thinking sugar free egg nog as well, I tried it last week with SF vanilla pudding mix, and it tasted realllly good, but not as egg nog-y as I would've liked. I found a "light" eggnog recipe on foodnetwork.com that actually has eggs in it, I think I'll do that and sub splenda for the sugar.

I was thinking about breakfast, and I've decided to do cinnamon rolls for everyone else, and I wanted to do a quiche but then I realized I can't have pie crust. Maybe I'll do the crustless quiches.