General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/253/155

Height: 67 in

Default Anyone have had their gallbladder removed?

I had my gallbladder removed in March of 2009. Before I had it removed I did the research and poke with my doctor. One of my concerns I had was almost all of the boards had people saying they gained a large amount of weight in the first two years after their surgery. I asked my doctor and he said there isn't any scientific link between weight gain and galbladder removal.

Fast forward to now and guess what - I have gained about 60lbs. I know my own eating habits are not great but honestly they are much btter then before I had the surgery and I am more active as well. But my weight just keeps going up (I am the heaviest I have ever been).

Has anyone else had their gallbladder removed and if so have you experience weight gain?

M
wannalose2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I never heard of weight gain associated with GB removal. The only thing I can think of is that I was eating extremely lowfat for 18 months prior to the removal for fear of gall stone attacks and after surgery I started eating more fat than I had been. No weight gain, but my cholesterol did start to climb. My doc gave me a 6 month "pass" on getting my eating more balanced. Maybe that's how some folks gain weight?
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'2"

I had my gallbladder out a few years ago, after I lost roughly 40-50 pounds and I then continued to lose 69 in total. I have gained weight since then (approx. 20 pounds) but I don't believe it has any connection to my gallbladder. I've never heard of that being a side effect of getting it removed. I chalk my weight gain up to bad eating habits.

You might want to talk to your doctor about it further though. Let him know that your eating habits are better and you are more active. Maybe something else is going on with your body
KaylaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I had mine removed 12 years ago, and I did not notice any significant weight gain after that. I gained weight sure, but I do not think it was because I had it removed.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I had my gb removed in 1997 but only gained weight from eating far, far too much food after I quit the Atkins diet. I lost 50 pounds in 2001 doing the Atkins diet. I have since regained it plus more.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 304/186.0/150

Height: 5.0

Ive had mine out and have gained approx 80lbs since then but I honestly dont think it has anything to do with my gall bladder being out. But I SURE cant eat the same as I used to!
Jonesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM   #7  

GB surgery does not cause weight gain. Poor eating choices do. I had my GB out and still lost 200 more pounds with no trouble.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago. I've gained 5 lbs in those 3 weeks but only because of my horrible horrible food choices. I was on a diet of plain turkey, potatos, carrots, peas, and soy sauce. Everything else would throw me into a gallbladder attack, so I'd eat the above foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner, for almost 3 months! So now that I can eat anything, I'm going kind of crazy.
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

atkins and low carb is bad for those of us without gallbladders!

you should eat low fat, maybe eat less carbs but we need those good carbs (and fiber) to keep our bodies sustained.
since our gallbladders are gone our bodys cant process fat (hince the lovely diarrhea some oofof us get)

i gained 20lbs in 3 years but thats from being a first time mom and my food never setteling right. (fat would tear me up)

we also need extra vitamins (i cant remember what they are atm)

hth.
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #10  

I had mine removed oh, 7 years ago? It wasn't a big deal and I don't remember gaining weight after the surgery. I gained weight years later--but that was the result of my poor eating, not the surgery.
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote