Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

Default Walking

I am severely overweight--currently at just under 220 and I am only 5'. I would like to start walking every night with my husband, but there seems to be two big obstacles in my way right now.

1.) I live in Maine, thus we're entering the coldest months of the year. Plus, this means ice and snow AND day light is short. It is usually dark by 4:30pm and I don't get home from work until at least 6pm. Most nights it's after 7pm before I get home.

2.) My husband has no motivation to do so. He works really hard all day, so I feel bad even asking him to unload the dishwasher, or let the dogs out, never mind taking 30 minutes to go for a walk with me. Am I in the wrong here?

It's not just me that could use the exercise, he can too. How can I get us both motivated to walk at least 10 minutes every night, hopefully building up to more every week?
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #2  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

What's your house like? We have a very successful loser here who lost 100 pounds just by walking the inside of her house! She walked inside for an hour every day and more when talking on the phone.

Do you have stairs? Stairs are an excellent workout! I like to set my timer and go up and down the stairs for 3:00, then I do 20 squats, then a 3:00 wall sit and repeat the sequence for three sets.

Additionally, you could add strength training using just your body weight. You could do sit ups, push ups, squats, dips on a sturdy chair, wall sits, and you could do bicep curls using cans or jars of food.

Walking outside is lovely, but the timing of it can be tough this time of year. There are ways around it though.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/130

Height: 5'0

We live in a one level ranch style house-no basement, no attic. BUT our garage is about 1/2 way down the driveway from the house, so I often walk down there and back a couple times a day, especially if hubby is in their working. It is also uphill on the way back.

We inherited the house from my mother who was terminally ill, there is a ramp at one entrance and a set of 4 stairs at the other...that's all I have for stairs! I wish I had more!!

I take the dogs for walks in the am, but like me, they aren't enjoying the cold weather. When we get more snow and ice, they really hate that on their feet. But, I do two different walks in the morning. One for 15 minutes with one dog and one for 15 minutes with the other dog. The rest of the day they are in and out of the house as they please. Maybe I can convince hubby that both dogs need to be walked every night and I need him to come to take one leash?!
MrsD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Go on craigslist and find a cheap treadmill maybe? I hate the cold...so I would never suggest walking for an hour in it.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #5  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

People seem to like the Leslie Sansone (sp?) videos where she walks in place. You can do that inside and it is supposed to be good.

If your husband doesn't have the motivation to go out, that doesn't mean you can't go by yourself. I like to bundle up and go for long walks at night and it can be very relaxing and help with stress.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #6  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2008 View Post
I am severely overweight--currently at just under 220 and I am only 5'. I would like to start walking every night with my husband, but there seems to be two big obstacles in my way right now.

1.) I live in Maine, thus we're entering the coldest months of the year. Plus, this means ice and snow AND day light is short. It is usually dark by 4:30pm and I don't get home from work until at least 6pm. Most nights it's after 7pm before I get home.

2.) My husband has no motivation to do so. He works really hard all day, so I feel bad even asking him to unload the dishwasher, or let the dogs out, never mind taking 30 minutes to go for a walk with me. Am I in the wrong here?

It's not just me that could use the exercise, he can too. How can I get us both motivated to walk at least 10 minutes every night, hopefully building up to more every week?

Last year I began walking almost daily, starting at 20 minutes a day and turning into 2 hrs sometimes. But when bad weather came, I took for an indoor track. Is it possible you might have access to an indoor facility? (perhaps at a local school?)
I work at a university, so this is possible for me to do on my noon hours, which works great. Then on weekend, I head for the local high school indoor track.

My last thought, just take care of yourself. I personally find the "buddy" system does not to work. If you are committed to a goal, dragging someone else along will not work in your best interest! If they don't go, then you don't and thus, you are not really in control. Take charge and do it without the hubby. YOU come FIRST right now. Once he sees your success, he may fall in line!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
If your husband doesn't have the motivation to go out, that doesn't mean you can't go by yourself. I like to bundle up and go for long walks at night and it can be very relaxing and help with stress.
Yeah, that's a guy thing. Some women, myself included, do not like walking in the dark alone, nor is it recommended.

I did it once in my old neighborhood and scared myself half silly when I heard a pack of coyotes. We did have them, though I never saw them.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255.5/196/158

Height: 5'7"

I agree with JoytoMeNu. I would love to get my husband to go with me at night when I am home. He does not want to and would ruin it for me by being resentful and put out. Like your husband he works hard at work. I've had to accept that he doesn't want to join the buddy system.
kittycarlson is offline   Reply With Quote