Old 12-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #1  

Default can't get full

I quit smoking in Oct. and now the weight has crept on.

Problem-I can't get full, ever. I'm constantly hungry and salivating and drewling for more food.

Please help me.....All i've been doing is eating for about 6 weeks.....bingeing is more like it and I just can't stop.
tessajetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Have you considered looking into the Primal or Paleo diet? These focus on eating whole foods and getting much more protein and fat into the diet than conventional diet calls for. Both protein and fat satiate hunger-- you eat fewer carbs, more fats (avocado, butter, olive oil, nuts, coconut oil, and even meat fats), protein (meat/eggs!), lots of vegetables, and some fruits (on the lower glycemic end like berries, apples).

I have always been a HUNGRY person who can eat a lot (quanity), but then again I also was eating a different way. I've been eating "primally" since May of this year, and the changes are truly amazing.

Hunger is no longer a problem and the weight comes off nicely. We have a thread if you are interested. You can also read up over at marksdailyapple.com
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 294/235.8/140

Height: 5'5.5"

Do you drink a lot of water? Since giving up soda back in June and upping my water intake (I drink at least 2 liters a day, but shoot for 3 or 4) I've found that I feel much fuller throughout the day. When I find myself wanting to eat when I know I shouldn't really be hungry then I grab some water and most times it works. A lot of times hunger and thirst are intertwined.
KathleanAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

Sometimes I feel like I can not get enough food in me, popcorn usually helps.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I munch on things like baby carrots, celery or a can of green beans...they are very filling. Or even a half cup of oatmeal...no sugar, butter or milk added to it. A cold glass of ice water is helpful, too.
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

I think water is the key. If you need to flavor it try crystal light but aim for at least 3 liters a day. 8 cups is really not enough if you are overweight.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

Drinking tea helps me, something about a warm liquid in my tummy makes me happy. Coffee does it too now that I can drink drip coffee with just a splash of milk.
tattoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

What are you eating? Most people find that there are some foods that don't fill them up, no matter how much they eat, and other foods that are better for making them feel satisfied.

For me, lots and lots of veggies are really helpful. I find a meal much more satisfying if it's loaded with veggies. For snacks, I try to go for high-fiber, low-calorie items like popcorn or apples.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 PM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I agree with the primal eating thing, it's not what I do, but I can see it would be helpful. When I ate meat for a few weeks between being vegetarian and vegan I was doing a zone type ration of 40% carbs 30% fat and 30% protein and I wasn't always hungry, which was nice.

I am currently vegan and still doing that ratio, but I eat non meat protiens (also, I VERY rarely eat 'fake meat' processed stuff like morningstar, for anyone who is assuming that is what I mean by non meat protein )
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #10  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I eat a ton of veggies and find this really helps. Especially things like raw cauliflower and baby carrots that take a lot of chewing.

Good luck and congratulations on quitting smoking.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Congratulations on quitting!

I quit in late July and packed on close to thirty pounds between then and October 19th; that's a lot of weight to put onto a 5'2" frame in that short a time. But I told myself that I would worry about one major hurdle at a time--and believe me, breaking a three-pack-a-day habit that had lasted all of my adult life and doing it cold turkey WAS a hurdle.

Cut yourself some slack for your recent "always-hungries"; it's hard to avoid that after smoking for a lot of reasons (having something to do with your hands/mouth, being able to taste food better, losing a major appetite suppressant--quitting causes a lot of changes). The thing to do--what I wish I'd done, but didn't--is to eat and eat on stuff that isn't going to pack on the weight.

All the suggestions here have been good ones. Do you need a lot of volume to fill your stomach to feel full? Then go with lots of veggies, popcorn, things that add bulk without many calories. Are you someone who can eat an acre of salad without feeling satisfied? Then you need to look for food that satiates you and combine it with volume to feel full; adding a little fat and protein usually does the trick. Think salads topped with shredded chicken, protein-rich hummus dip with raw vegetables, beans and/or cheese in soup.

Again, congratulations on quitting! You are going to feel SO good as the months roll by.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
What are you eating? Most people find that there are some foods that don't fill them up, no matter how much they eat, and other foods that are better for making them feel satisfied.

For me, lots and lots of veggies are really helpful. I find a meal much more satisfying if it's loaded with veggies. For snacks, I try to go for high-fiber, low-calorie items like popcorn or apples.
I agree with the veggies! I've kinda done the low carb and paleo things, but fats don't really fill me. I do keep a reasonable 25-30% protein intake, which helps a lot, but also do some starchy carbs. Not every day, but they definitely help on exercise days. Oatmeal, especially steel cut oats helps me a lot. Apples help. Drinking lots of water (I get a minimum of a gallon daily.) and getting plenty of vegetables help.

But I have a huge appetite, one that gets worse with exercise, so sometimes I just have to distract myself and get away from the kitchen. For me, it helped immensely to establish a non-food reward I could earn if I exercised and lost weight. It's like it became something I could focus on wanting mentally instead of the food.

I also really enjoy hot tea, green tea, red tea and herbal teas. Helps with getting the liquids in and something about the hot liquid is filling. I also like to make soups and freeze one-cup portions, so I have something low cal, but warm.

Anyway, congrats on giving up smoking and you can get through the appetite thing!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #13  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Is it all about food do you think? Or maybe something to "DO" with your hands??? A few of my friends who quit said they put on about 15 pounds and then started knitting, constantly LOL i have a dozen hats to prove it they said it kept their hands/brains occupied . . .maybe the suggestions here for snacks can help, and a hobby/activity can help with the 'do' part... knitting, crossword puzzles, card - making or jewellery making... can't hurt & you'd have some nice presents to give at the end ! Surely the supplies can't cost more than cigs in the long run
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #14  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Trazey that maybe it's not hunger but needing to do something with your hands and mouth. When I quit I chewed on straws for several months. It gave me something to do with my mouth and my hands if needed.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

YAY welcome to the quitters' club! I quit in August and felt insane sugar cravings for a couple weeks. I'm talking INSANE. Your body needs adjustment after breaking such a body chemistry-altering habit.

I find that eating fewer carbs helps me feel less hungry. Also, really dense things like fiber bran cereal (pick the one that looks most like dog food) can satiate hunger fairly quickly.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote