The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default Bizzare statement by Jillian

This has to be the sickest thing I have ever seen anyone say.

Quote:
In an interview with Women's Health in May 2010, Jillian revealed she planned to become a mom through adoption.

"I'm going to adopt. I can't handle doing that to my body," she told the mag at the time, when asked if she'd ever consider having children.
http://beta.ca.news.yahoo.com/jillia...est-loser.html

this totally changes my opinion of Jillian. I can't believe now that she has the nerve to counsel other people about anything. The woman obviously is suffering from some severe body issues herself.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

She did some follow-ups on this after controversy arose. Her statement was:

Quote:
"There is a misunderstanding circulating in the press on my personal choice to not get pregnant," she posted on her Facebook profile. "I think that pregnancy is admirable and selfless. For myself, I have remnant body issues left over from childhood which leads me to make adoption my personal choice down the road."

"I NEVER said I was anti-pregnancy or that pregnancy ruins a body. I said 'I can't put my body through it.' There are emotional issues and physical LIMITATIONS that have resulted in that conclusion - some I have discussed publicly and some I haven't."
She also has PCOS, which may be the "physical limitations" she refers to. It may be that her body is not capable of sustaining a pregnancy without a lot of fertility treatments or medications, which she doesn't want to use.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #3  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Hmm I dunno. She works hard for her body, and its her bread and butter. I am sure that there are a bunch of models, actresses etc out there who do exactly the same thing, they just do not announce it.

Just think of it as her helping a child that would otherwise possibly have not a great life. Parenthood comes in many forms, none more valid than the other.

Just my opinion
Old 12-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #4  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

I think she was being honest and she was speaking for herself, not anyone else. To each her own. I also love the idea of more people adopting, there are so many children out there who need loving homes
Old 12-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

As a biological mom I'm very supportive of people who choose to adopt. Maybe her reasons are a little off, but it doesn't sound like she's going to be collecting kids either (a la Angelina Jolie). I've worked in daycares and as a nanny for years and have heard moms blame their kids (to their faces) for their weight gain and/or stretch marks. That's something I don't think any kid should hear.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I think having children (whether giving birth or adopting) is a very personal choice and she has the right to feel anyway she wants to about it. It does put your body through ****, in my personal opinion, and I've done it twice. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't change a thing. But that's my personal view and only applies to my own life, just as Jillian's applies only to her life. I'd still love to have her abs though )
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5

I'm sorry, I have nothing against adoption, but I think someone who's food issues are so extreme that they would not have a child because of it has no business working with other people with food problems as a career.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Well, you are assuming that she said that because of food issues. Maybe it is just other issues all together. It could totally be a case of the therapist who decided to be a therapist because of his or her own issues.

With whatever food issues she has (or does not have) I would think would make her a great person to help people with theirs.

And really, I have to be completely honest, while I love and adore my kids, if my living was made from how I looked, I would probably think twice about doing anything that could potentially mess that up. But beyond how she may or may not look, perhaps there are other health related issues that would make it not the best decision.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

She has both endometriosis and PCOS. She does not believe in synthetic hormones. To get pregnant, she would likely have to undergo treatment with synthetic hormones. Maybe that is what she'd "put her body through", as well as emotional issues.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/ maintaining 130-135

Height: 5'4"

Imho I don't think there's anything wrong with her admitting that putting her body through pregnancy would be a struggle. Maybe she is concerned that she wouldn't be able to give the baby the nourishment it needs. Or the PCOS is a factor. Going through pregnancy requires a kind of relinquishing of the body that lots of people are not capable of. It devastated me seeing my step-sister smoke two packs of cigarettes a day during her pregnancy cuz she was afraid to gain weight. I don't feel as though it would make her any less capable of doing her job. We all have personal issues.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #11  

Talking

dolly here, i am a 60 years young married female also, on the 20th of this month I will be 61; and I am new: "WOO...DOGONE that sounds goud yeah!!!" I am going to lose 100 BIG ONES;you hear me "BIG ONES." I hope that we can all help each other to complete our wants of winning the battle of the pounds. Today I began my day with a healthy scrumptious breakfast of strawberry peach breadpudding. For a lite lunch I gozzled down 1 cup of progresso soup 1 slice itilian bread 1oz. smoked ham also 1 slice of swiss cheese. Dinner we are having yum'ooo, Chicken and smoked turkey sausage Jambalaya, 1 slice honey wheat garlic bread.Woo, all lite lean home cooked. Well I pray you all have a blessed night untill we speak again ......Your new pal Dolly
Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

I'm glad she can speak about it also. Nothing wrong in not wanting to or being able to put her body through pregnancy. i have an adopted son and more children are waiting for good parents. So, here here Jillian. It's okay and if it's not, so beit. She can still get a person in shape regardless of what goes on with her own body. Which is in good shape. I believe.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #13  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

I think she's a mean ol' troll whose juggernaut fitness empire I refuse to buy into...BUT...on this, I am 100% on her side. More power to her for choosing adoption and for knowing herself well enough to say, "Y'know, pregnancy is not for me."

Whether she has PCOS or other possible reproductive issues or no issues at all, there's nothing "sick" to me about deciding to adopt a family instead of giving birth to one. There are a lot of babies already in the world who could use loving homes, and I have nothing but love for the people who take them in--regardless of their reasons.

In fact, this actually makes me think a little better of her, as she seems more like a person and less like a shrieking harpy who looks down her nose at anyone with body-fat percentages in the double digits.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

do you think she does that for the show because Bob harper is not like that. At least not on the videos.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #15  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola Celeste View Post
I think she's a mean ol' troll whose juggernaut fitness empire I refuse to buy into...BUT...on this, I am 100% on her side. More power to her for choosing adoption and for knowing herself well enough to say, "Y'know, pregnancy is not for me."

Whether she has PCOS or other possible reproductive issues or no issues at all, there's nothing "sick" to me about deciding to adopt a family instead of giving birth to one. There are a lot of babies already in the world who could use loving homes, and I have nothing but love for the people who take them in--regardless of their reasons.

In fact, this actually makes me think a little better of her, as she seems more like a person and less like a shrieking harpy who looks down her nose at anyone with body-fat percentages in the double digits.
I agree with this completely.

I am NOT brave enough to be pregnant. And truthfully? I couldn't handle what it'd do to my body either! If that makes me sick too, then so be it. When I'm ready to have children, I plan on adopting too, for a wide variety of reasons.