Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #58

Good morning ladies! I am freezing to death this morning. I turn the thermostat way down at night so in the morning when I am up and going I get cold fast. We have a programmable thermostat, but it drives me nuts to get it to work right. I think if I ever figured it out it would be fine.

Jean: I thought the same thing as Susan you are working as much as you did for school. Church work is one of those things that when you volunteer they make sure they keep you on "speed dial." They figure they have a hook in you and don't want to let you go since volunteers are hard to come by. I decided not to work at T's school this year. She called and asked, but at the time we were going through the car thing with the grand marquis and I told her I was was down to just one car. We still are until after the first of the year so I don't want to be pinned down if I don't have to be. I think once we get the grand marquis situation sorted out I may find somewhere to volunteer. My hair lady never did get back with me about teaching knitting classes to the mother's at Ronald McDonald house, which is next door to St Judes.

Susan: You have been busy, busy. I checked out the Tricare for Life and looks like it will fit the bill as long as there are not a lot of things Medicare doesn't cover then we will end up footing a big part of the bill more than likely. He still has a few years. I thought it was 63 but I guess it is 65 for Medicare. The nice thing is we don't have to deal with changing prescription plans.

Jack is calling his doctor today and getting an appt to discuss all his hurts and booboos. I know I talked with Susan awhile back about what I thought might be a hernia and she said it sounded like GERD. Well, he had an acid attack the evening before last, so bad it choked him a lot. So the next morning he was still feeling the effects and I told him to stay home from work yesterday. I knew he wouldn't be able to get into our drs as they never had open appts, but I sent him to a Walgreen clinic so he would at least be able to get an excuse for staying home. She really couldn't do anything for him and told him he needed to be evaluated by his physician (which I have been nagging about but gotten no where.) She was so nice she cancelled his appt since she couldn't do anything for him and didn't charge him for it. They take tricare, which is nice since like I said we can't ever get into our drs last minute. Heck, it take Jack two weeks at least to get an appt with his dr. He is going to have her check out his hand, his knee and the gastro stuff so I am pleased the dr at the Walgreens got through to him.

Well, onward with my day. I got nothing done yesterday with Jack being home so I want to work on the upstairs today. Tonight is potato soup and rolls for dinner! Have a good one! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a tad warmer this day here in the Heartland. Good day for Will to trim the apple tree. He got such a good deal yesterday. I am amazed sometimes at his good deals. He was just in a place he does business for building supplies. Anyway he was chatting with a clerk and asked him where in town he could get a welder set up. He was just wondering what the cost would be and the guy who is retired military, like Will, said ~ I have a set up in my garage that I don't have a need to use anymore. Will, of course, asked what he wanted for it and the fellow said, "How bout if I just give it to you." When lunch time came he went home and got it out of his garage and brought it back to the store and gave Will a call to come pick it up. Such a deal. You know you do reap what you sew and Will has done so many good things for folks so now he is getting some back. I told hm to ask where you could buy a Lambardini or DeLorian and maybe someone just has one parked in his garage and it is just collecting dust and will give it to you. He just shot me one of "those looks." I now have two of the buildings I needed to get done and cut the pattern out for the third. I need to get it done and get them all mailed out in time for Christmas giving. My friend out in CA sent me an email saying she is sending me some more WW material and I am looking for that package. She sends me free coupons for products which is really helpful. Who doesn't like free food that's "good for you."

DONNA FAYE Thank you for starting us a new thread. It is too bad that Jack had to have such an uncomfortable attack to have a light come on in his thinking. But that is how some folks learn isn't it. Poor dear, I know he must have been suffering. I do like potato soup ~ what time is dinner did you say? I sprinkle a few bacon bits on mine, got any? You know it's the 10th already and Christmas is fast approaching. Fast.

SUSAN & JEAN Having a good day are you? Howdy from the heartland.

Well I think I will get busy with my glass works now. Time is marching on and leaving lines on my face. Type at y'all later.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

BACK FOR A BIT

I am a happy camper for sure. My vest came today and it is just the ticket. Will did say that when I get to goal if I want another like it to order it when I mentioned this one would be hard to take in to make it a smaller size because of all the inside and outside pockets. I could do it but it would put the pockets clear to the sides instead in the middle. We shall see when the time comes for it will certainly be awhile. I will save the paperwork on it so I can reorder though. Also my package arrived from my dear friend out in CA. I got the Helpful Habits series of 6 hand outs including the maintenance plan along with the Getting started booklet and the pocket guide. I put the pocket guide in the booklet cover I got to cover the 3 month tracker for it fits much nicer in it. She also included 4 weight record trackers to last the year + a few weeks and 2 dark chocolate turtle bars. I am set for I have the "kit" now to have a good 2011 of weight loss. OH and also my new coffee glass arrived. YEAH. I would love to sit here and read all the WW information I got but I need to get back to my glass works. I just had to take a break, get some coffee and tell you what the mail man delivered this day. Can you tell I am jazzed.

Type at y'all later back to work now.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I worked at the hospital this morning; we put together patient information folders for when patients check into the hospital. I was the youngest while the others were 75+. We each had a part to put together and stick in the folder; needless to say I was first and finished 500 folders with a sheet of local restaurants and a questionnaire with a return envelope before anyone else. I came home for lunch and the blizzard warnings were on tv so made a short list and headed to the grocery store. You'd think people couldn't get out to buy groceries for the next month the way they were filling their carts. Sunday is supposed to be 'nice' but much colder; tomorrow is the freezing rain turning to snow. It has started to rain but it's 49 degrees outside.

"Gma" -- I had to chuckle at you freezing to death. It's usually in the 65-67 degree range when I go downstairs in the morning. If there is no wind it's not too bad, otherwise it is a tad chilly and I turn the thermostat up. I must admit I am tired after being on the go all week. I do like my time at home. I wonder if they will up the age for Medicare as long as Social Security has gone up to 66. I read somewhere that they want to raise retirement age to 72, and that is too old imo. I'm glad Jack is going to see his doctor. Our clinic leaves a few 'open' appointment slots for non-emergency type incidents. We can't always see our own doctor but that's ok on a spur of the moment need.

Maggie -- We have a wonderful person in our church and she is aptly named Jewel. She is a nurse and her husband is a surgeon who met while missionaries in Africa. Anyhow, she is always helping a person or family in need, sick, etc., then tells them to "pay it forward" rather than to pay her. It sounds like Will belongs to that same club. What is he going to weld? I'm glad you got the new WW information. I had to miss the mtg. yesterday because I was waiting for a phone call in the church office and I was the only one there. You will enjoy your new vest with all the handy pockets. It sounds like you are busy making glass buildings. I need to get busy on my Christmas 'to do" list!

Susan -- Hope you are having a good day and doing something beside cleaning.

I have another load of laundry going and need to sort through the hamper. I thought I just emptied it and it's looking pretty full again.

Hope you all have a nice weekend and enjoy this evening.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #5  

Good evening, ladies. 33 degrees. It was 48 earlier in the day.

I went to water aerobics today and then got a hair cut. It's really short now (about 1 inch on top) and I love it. I'm really looking forward to my meeting tomorrow. It's been 12 days since I weighed in officially. I have high hopes. We'll see. I'm going to have to buy some new pants. I can take my 14's off without unzipping and unbuttoning them. I hate to even think about shopping this time of year. I think I'll go to the thrift store and pick up a couple of pair of jeans to see me through until after Christmas sales.

I have the programmable thermostat and dearly love it. The house is now warm when I get up and cools off before I go to bed (it goes down to 68 at 9 pm). I got it free from the gas company.

Jean, the thinking with the increase of age of SS is that few people even lived to 65 when it started. Now we live to 80 or more. I'm 69 and still working. It keeps a lot of us older ones going strong to have to get up in the morning. You do enough volunteer work to have a full time job. The nuts around her are the same. If the forecast says snow, they run to the store and clean it out. If you see a snowflake, everything closes. And snow doesn't last more than a day or 2 here.

Faye, who knows about raising the age for Medicare. It seems they would if they want people to work longer. A lot of people around here have Tricare and are pleased. Medicare pays 80% of most things. I haven't had to pay anything in the 4 years I've been on it except my prescription copays.

Maggie, I have always thought God rewards us for helping others. You have plenty to read now. No excuses when January 1 rolls around. I really like the pocket guide this year. I tied a ribbon to the spiral binding of my daily tracker to keep my place.

Guess I'll turn the tv on and see if there is anything to watch. If not, I'll go to bed and read. Have a good evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #6  

I just did a quick read through the posts while I was gone . . .

Susan -- I had to at you not being able to keep your jeans on. I know a couple of teachers who shop at the SOS store on a regular basis and find some really nice clothes. Thank you for sharing the recipes. I may try the fudge although I've never heard of putting cranberries in fudge. Do they melt? I like the idea of putting the meat loaf in the muffin tins. I'm glad you were able to fix the glitch at work. You are good! Our gas has gone up $.20 this week. Today it was $2.85 when I went into town this morning.

"Gma" -- I don't get as much done when Bob is home either. I'm sorry your shoes didn't fit . . . maybe they were supposed to be child sized. We went to a James Taylor concert when we lived in Ohio. It was billed as Carly Simon and he showed up instead. They were married at the time but I don't know if they still are or not. I hope your sinus headaches are gone. They are not fun at all.

Maggie -- It sounds like your weather has become winter! Are you changing WW points in old cookbooks? I'm wondering if WW food in the stores still have the old points on them. I just bought some cheese today but haven't looked at the label to see if it figures out to be different. I hope RM's ear is feeling better. You are definitely thinking spring if you are ordering seeds for your garden!

I am heading off to bed and read for a bit. See you all tomorrow!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Windy Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Gracious sakes the wind is blowing gusts to 50 mph making it "feel like" 29 for the temp is only 34. A 50 MHP is a bit swift with wind I might add. Will certainly re-arrange your hair do if you go out in it. Not much on my agenda except glass work. I am coming right along with my projects but need to keep at it. I received another order for a building for Christmas so have that to do after I finish this one. I sold most of the ones out of my village so will work to replace them next year. I have a little group of two cottages and two story building, a fire house and a meat shop in a nice little arrangement on a book shelf in the front room. I have Christmas lights on the three houses. Makes a nice little arrangment all lit up. Anyway come next Christmas I am sure it will be a bigger village like it used to be for I can work on it all year long. And probably sell some of the buildings then replace them. The thing is, I can always replace a building if I want.

DONNA FAYE And just what are you up to this day? Knitting are ya? How is Jack this day?

JEAN It was interesting what you chose to comment on after reading "old posts." I have changed my favorites in some of the paper backed WW booklets. I had lists of them placed in the front of the books which made it easier. When I tried a recipe I wrote it down with the page number if we liked it. Actually each one I have tried we like for I really can know by reading the ingredients lists if we will like it or not. And I can make things that look just like the picture. I think possibly the points have been changed on the market packages. At least that is my hope. When I get any new frozens I will check the nutrition list and compare what is posted on the carton and what my calculator comes up with. However by January when I start the new program they should have them all fixed by then don't you think.

SUSAN How much did you lose? I am so happy for you shrinking down so far. Wow, fitting into a size 12 . Now that is a happening. What a neat idea to tie a ribbon to the spiral. I do belive I will do that also. Thanks. Try putting your Points Pocket Guide in that folder made for the Tracker. See how it fits better. We have gap insurance that pays what Medicare won't, thank goodness because, Medicare doesn't pay much. I have to go sign up for Medicare the frist part of January. Should be fun. They messed me up so badly, when I first signed up, in their paperwork for it has taken years to straighten out. They said I had to have Medicare then made it impossible to use because of their ton of mistakes. I was advised by my retirement folks to fire them and let the dust settle because Medicare refused to get it right. Now this is a different town in a different state and the gal I talked to was amazed at what they had done previously to my file when she opened it. She said she can get it all straightened out come January but I will have to pay a penality for signing up so late. After all this has been going on for years. I have hope this lady knows her stuff and can get it right.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-11-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! The blizzard has arrived! I can't see the house across the back yard nor the house across the street! It's 18 degrees with 40 mph winds gusting to 60 mph according to the weather channel. Our Christmas party tonight has been postponed until the same night that I have card club. I have a "to do" list to work on but feel like being lazy this afternoon.

Maggie -- It sounds like you and I are sharing the same wind. You will be kept busy with your glass building projects that's for sure. I have several church cookbooks and I keep a list of favorite recipes in the front of the book for a fast look-up. Needless to say I rarely figure WW points on the ones I make for a special dinner once or twice a year. I hope the gal can get your Medicare straightened out. I just paid $15.23 for 6 prescriptions after meeting my co-pay. At that rate I shouldn't hit the donut hole I hope. None are brand name so that does help.

"Gma" and Susan -- What are you up to today?

My washer is done so I need to put in another load. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #9  

Good evening, ladies. We're having rain and it's 41 degrees.

I weighed in for the first time in 12 days and was down a whopping 10.0 pounds! 3.6 pounds to my WW goal weight. I also got the 25 pound charm for my key ring. My friend came to WW today and afterwards we went across the street and had a skinny latte at Starbucks while we talked.

You have to be careful of the products in the stores that give points. If the package says just points, it's old points. New points have the blue logo and say points plus. It'll take awhile to get everything changed.

Jean, dried cranberries don't melt. They stay whole in the fudge. It's very good. I always like the ends of the meatloaf so putting it in the muffin pans gives me lots of "ends".

Maggie, I emailed you this afternoon with the Excel spreadsheet. I hardly check the Cox email. I hope everything gets straightened out with Medicare in January.

Faye, I emailed you some links today for knitting I thought you might like.

I'm having taco soup for supper with a salad. I made some sugar-free jello and put fruit cocktail in it. I will be a great 0 point dessert.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #10  

Good afternoon ladies. I wasn't sure with all the posts if I had posted yesterday or not, but I had. Everyone is just talkative today. I couldn't get in here this morning because my sweet grandson Thomas had his piano recital. I am including a picture of "Mr. Cool" in his fancy duds before the recital started. I have a video of him playing, but Jack has to download the software for our video camera before I can post it on Facebook. I will let you know when I have posted it or I can email it to you. They usually break the kids into two groups, but they had the whole thing today and it was nearly 3 hours long. My hip was killing me by the time it ended as Jack and I got there a little before 10 so we could have good seats. We were first ones there but I took third row back and it was perfect to see from. Towards the last half hour or so were the oldest kids and man some of them were really talented. If I hadn't been hurting I would have enjoyed it a whole lot more towards the end.

Susan: Thanks for the link. I look forward to going through the patterns. My dil wants some mittens and if I ever get time to do something for myself would like some fingerless gloves to wear int he house in the winter. I posted a picture of the socks I am making for Thomas. I think they turned out pretty well.

Maggie: Oh, I am glad you got that vest you wanted. I am anxious to get my new shoes on Tuesday and see if they fit. I wore an old pair of Cobbie Cuddlers today, but they pinch just a bit at the little toe so they aren't meant for walking around in much. Thank goodness I didn't have a lot of that to do.

Jean: We don't have your temps, thank goodness or we would be snow bound big time. The rains were really heavy all morning. In fact, sometimes it was hard to hear the kids play because the rain was coming down so hard hitting the roof. They had their recital at the Catholic high school and it was very nice. They had a basketball tourney going on at the same time so it got kind of interesting. That is why they didn't separate the recital.

I am going to sit and knit when I get done here. I still have to make a menu and grocery list as tomorrow is the dreaded commissary day. You gals have a nice weekend. Hope you aren't too buried under snow and such. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thomas.jpg (27.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tsock.jpg (53.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #11  

The wind continues to blow hard and howl as I'm typing . . . . the blizzard/wind warning is on until 10 tomorrow morning so I'm wondering if we will have church. Our custodian lives out in the country so I'm pretty sure he won't be coming in. If the wind is still blowing I can't see the plows out nor the guy who clears our parking lot and sidewalks.

Susan -- on the GREAT 10# loss! You go girl! You are so dedicated to your exercise, eating OP, and it is paying off for you. I'm betting every WW food item in our stores is the 'old' WW points. It seems like we get new things months after everyone else does. I would be glad to share my weather with you.

"Gma" -- Thomas looks pretty handsome in the picture. I keep kidding Bob that I am going to get him suspenders because he is constantly pulling his pants up. The men on his side of the family have no bu**! I love the colors in the socks, and I'm sure T will enjoy them just because you made them for him. I hope your hip is feeling better tonight. I don't think we are getting that much snow but the wind is sure blowing it around. I'm glad we aren't trying to leave town this weekend!

I need to iron a shirt for Bob just in case we do have church in the morning. See you all tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 12-11-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #12  

Good morning gals! I think Jean conspired with the weather man to share her wind as it is 40 mph gusts and we are even expecting snow showers today. Of course, my kids could get 2 ft of snow in the next couple days so I should keep my mouth shut and just be happy we don't live up there as they already have a foot of snow unless it has melted.

Susan: I do not know how I missed it, but super duper congrats on the big loss! I know you have to be happy about that. I would think people would have big losses for awhile with fairly drastic changes to the new plan.

Jean: Jack went to the store the other day in blue jeans and a colored tshirt. He came home and went to put his coat away and I started laughing my head off. His "tidy whiteys" were showing through about a 2 inch slice down the back of his jeans by his pocket and another inch or so one. The pants had worn out and frayed then little by little ripped I guess. Anyway, he showed any ladies at the store his bum! I scolded him about trying the get inappropriate attention! lololol I just left Fortune out and saw some little flecks of white whizzing around so the snow has started here. The commissary doesn't open until 10 on Sundays and we will get a bite of breakfast then get out there so we can get groceries and get home. Glad you liked the socks. I think they are a good color combination for a boy. He told me one of his pairs of socks has holes in them so I guess he wore them out though he mentioned "moths!" lol

Hope you all can stay in and stay warm today. We are in for storms I am sure. If there is no church a good day to bundle up with a book, some knitting or a movie! Have a great day! Faye
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! Our blizzard has moved on but it is below 0 with a wind chill of -20 and still windy. The sun is shining brightly so it looks warmer than it is. We didn't get a lot of snow which was good. Church was called off this morning and I'm guessing it is because our custodian lives out in the country quite a distance from town. The children's program was scheduled for 2nd service so they will have it next Sunday. There are cars stuck and in ditches because of the ice and wind, so they are advising people to stay home. I have more laundry going and need to do some ironing.

"Gma" -- I hope your trip to the commissary was quick and easy this morning. When I was still at school the plumbers would come and work on the pipes that ran throughout the school under the floors. One trap door happened to be in the teachers' lounge and we often would get a view of plumber's bu**. Not good during lunch!

I have potato soup on the stove so had better check it. Enjoy your day today!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #14  

Ok, since all of you have Facebook accounts, I posted the video of Thomas playing on Facebook. He is one of my "friends" so I know he would be thrilled with what you think of his playing if you want to leave a comment on FB. Hope you enjoy it. Nonny never gets tired of listening to it of course! lol
Old 12-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #15  

Good evening, ladies. We had a warm day today. It actually got into the 60s. Back to 30s for tomorrow. We also had rain.

Went to church this morning. Just cleaned house and did some laundry this afternoon and rode my exercise bike for an hour.

Jean, I'm glad you didn't get too much snow. I'd be housebound with temperatures like that. I have to cover my nose and mouth with a scarf with I go out now. It must have been disappointing for the children to have to put off their performance, but better safe than sorry.

Faye, I'm still chuckling over Jack's ripped jeans. I'll go listen to Thomas play as soon as I am done here. Was the commissary crowded?

Tomorrow is applique in the morning. I think I'll take my lunch.

Enjoy your evening.