General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default Help with gift suggestion please?

A close friend lost his job going on 2 years now due to the economy, he now is selling his home and moving in with a sibling, 6 states over. He used up his savings trying to stay afloat. His parents sent him a plane ticket to fly home for the holidays being he couldn't afford a flight himself. I want to get him something for Christmas, but I don't know what to get. I feel terrible that no job opportunities have arisen for him & I want to make him feel worthy, of a nice gift. For his birthday I sent him a subway gift card, being he is health conscience but I do not want to re-peat that gift. Any suggestions, I am all ears? If you were outta work what would you like to receive? - besides CASH. I want the gift to have meaning... Help?

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 12-09-2010 at 10:37 PM.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

The very first question is: How much are you wanting to spend???

Gas cards, if he's driving, are fantastic. Depending on where you live, maybe a metro card so he can get to job interviews.

Maybe you can find a nice key ring, or money clip, or business card holder for him. Something small (sterling silver, maybe?) that will make him feel a little more accomplished and put together as he's trying to get back on his feet. A little good luck charm.

Food gift cards are GREAT. As a VERY poor college student, I'm REALLY relying on food gift cards I've been given in the past as money is REALLY REALLY LOW right now. There's nothing like seeing 4 dollars in the bank, but a 20 dollar gift card in your wallet to get you through.

I can definitely come up with more ideas. But are these along the path you're thinking?
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 AM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

wow that is really tough. since he's in transition it seems like a gift of an item would be a burden, since he'd have to immediately decide whether or not to take it with him... it seems like a consumable gift would be best.
what about something along the lines of a gift card to get a haircut so he can feel and look his best for interviews? some nice clothes? or even just a dinner out together to spend some time together before he leaves?
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

If I were out of work I'd love a gift card. My brother is out of work, living with our folks and I always get him gift cards. I've given him Starbucks cards, TJMaxx cards, Walmart cards, even Mastercard gift cards.

I can't imagine not having a dime to myself and depending on my folks again for room and board. It's my hope that when I give him a gift card he can get himself a treat or take care of a basic need (like buying socks or a nice shirt for an interview) without asking my folks for money.

Plus, for your friend, it travels easily. One less thing to pack, just slip it in the wallet.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I planned to make him his favorite meals while he is here, so FOOD will be consumed in his much empty tank. Plus I just found a small 5 inch adorable christmas tree with red christmas balls on it & I decided to roll BILLS of all sizes & increments & stick them throughout the branches & give him his very own MONEY TREE! I am sure this will put a SMILE on his face, he sure has been depressed! This way due to him traveling, he can just take the cash off and leave the tree behind. I am sure his relies will be giving him plenty of gift cards, books, movies etc. Thanks again, Wendalyn

Last edited by evilwomaniamshe; 12-10-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  
xty
bright hearted

S/C/G: 240/127/125

Height: 5'6

That is a great idea with the tree and dollar bills.

I recalled what a blogger friend of mine used to do that I thought was SO cool.

I cant remember what he called it, but he would buy a small inexpensive treasure box and fill it with gold coins (as in real money, you can buy for face value of normal denominations).

The coins are $1, and he would give $100 worth of them arranged in a little treasure box and usually some groceries too. It made such an impact on the families that received it without being as boring as paper money, but as useful.
xty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

A gift card from WalMart or Target is good as you buy food or other necissities with it such as clothes, toiletries, etc.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

EVIL with the guy's situation it is obvious that $$$ is probably what is needed most....

my only concern is that in his situation the $$$ tree (although I think it is a great idea!) may "feel" more like chairty than gift cards that can be used for basics like food and clothing if needed.

But you know him well so I trust your decision...lol...

just thought I would trow that out there....

Be Good...and EVIL...wink
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #9  

Hey xyt, that treasure box sounds kewl!

Thanks Bargoo- yup I agree on the necessity card, one can't live without BUTT WIPE!

Hey EZ, nah HE won't be thinkin charity case, he will be thinking GOSH Wend- you ALWAYS know how to put a SMILE on my face & make things somewhat better for me!!!!! He has mentioned it several times in the past 2 years, if only HE had a money tree, so I think this will be the "perfect prezie" for him! I know he will be FOREVER grateful, we are real TIGHT! By the way no worries, Iza always Good & Evil Happy Holidays to you & yours EZ...