Height: 5'4.5

Default my family needs to gain, i'm losing weight

what would you do?
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

ages of kids: 6,7,9. 1 doesn't like tomatoes or peppers. he'll eat my spagetti though. dad wants meat every meal. they don't like beans, or relunctant to eat them unless it's with sausage. or the kind loaded w/sugar. oh, and we don't eat beef or pork. lots of chicken.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #3  

The absolute easiest thing would be to up their carbs and just not make them part of your plate. Make a vegetable and a salad and make that your biggest part of the plate rounded out with protein (and a small bit of the carb if it fits in your plan). They can load up on the protein and the carb and hopefully get inspired by the vegetables as you get some tips from all the veg lovers all over these forums.

There can be "meat" every meal- as a sidedish/smaller portion for you as noted above. Curious why beef and pork are excluded because they can be tasty without being calories bombs (and in fact are usually not)- plus they have a lot of satisfying flavor.

You can make things like beans in quantity for yourself and freeze them in individual serving containers. While they have mac n'cheese as a side you can have some lovely beans.

It can be a simple plug in what is on your plan and plug out the stuff that does not work.

Good luck. Plus more details would be helpful.

Last edited by tommy; 12-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #4  
I CAN do this!

we just decided years ago to not eat any red meat. at the time there was the mad cow desease scare, but there's lots of studies about too much causing heart desease and so on. so it's healthier.

i often make something quick for myself like healthier tuna salad, or make ahead lentils/beans. i've been making and buying less pasta/rice than i used to. making more often now so they can have more cal. when i make it though, i will want some too. i've been having a small amount, but i used to eat massive amounts of noodles, tons of carbs. so i could fall back to bad habits.

i don't really follow a specific plan. its a hybrid of intuitive eating, high fiber, lots of veggies, beans. i started avoiding rice/pasta bc they have so many cal. a small amount isn't satisfying. i'm better off with none.

cheese and nuts is another one. moderate or none for me. they can have as much as they will eat. maybe get kinds i don't like?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #5  
I CAN do this!

we also eat fish or shellfish sometimes. not just chicken. we eat alot of chicken lol. well i eat alot less, legumes are cheaper and more satisfying than meat.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Has the doctor said the children/dad are underweight? Or are you just concerned about growing children getting enough to eat? Or are they complaining that they are hungry?

I ask, because if it's a medical issue then you certainly would want more professional advice than we could give as a board. If it's more the other issues then I think you have hit the nail on the head about buying things you know you don't like but you know they will eat. I do that all the time for my husband who loves junk food and has no weight issues. It's a win - win for us. Donuts would do me in but potato chips hold no appeal for me at all. He's just as happy with one as the other Not that I'm suggesting you buy them donuts But the nuts and cheese that you don't care for if they will eat them.

You could also put out a relish tray as a snack or to nibble on right before dinner. Boiled eggs, olives, celery with peanut butter, cheese, nuts, guacamole all offer nutrition and some extra calories. You could offer soups, yogurt, smoothies too to boost their calories. Maybe even add in some protein powder in a smoothie, if they don't notice the taste.

Its a real balancing act when you're feeding a family. We want to feed them healthy stuff but at the same time, if it's just a matter of personal taste preferences on their part it's best to find some nice alternatives. It could be something as simple as a texture issue. Maybe if the beans were pureed into a sauce or soup they would go over better. Maybe experiment a little.

I wish you the best of luck!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #7  
I CAN do this!

yea, it's just concern. my daughter that's almost 6 and oldest son, 10. they just look so lean. in part, i'm sure this is their body type. they are very tall for their age. she's wearing 6 slim in pants, in she almost needs a 7. he's 55 and 3/4 in tall. 74lbs. just all arms and legs. i think they are just growing so fast, it's hard for them to eat enough to keep up.
i'm going to give them pb, nuts, dried fruit. they always drink whole milk.
i think it's just their appetite is sometimes not there. for dd5, she's hardly hungry in the morning. so trying to get her to eat some bites before she goes. he sometimes says he's not very hungry at dinner.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #8  

I don't want to sound insulting so please forgive me if this doesn't come off right.....

Your kids sound normal. They sound like people who will not have weight issues in the future because they have the ability to NOT eat when they're NOT hungry. Don't fight them on this. Any doctor will tell you a kid will not starve themselves. (and if you're concerned this is a metabolic issue,anorexia, or another physical health problem then consult a physician).

I want to say this very gently: don't force food on them. Don't make it an issue. Offer healthy foods at reasonable times and then let them control what goes into their bodies.

I am assume for the most part the people here on this site are 'broken' in regards to their ability to see eating and food in a 'normal' way. I certainly am broken. I look at my family and I am mystified at how they can leave a tablespoon of milk in the carton. Just drink it, I want to shout! Well, that's not normal for them. They think simply in terms of what they need to satisfy their hunger and only take that amount. I boggles me that my husband and I can have the same lunch and he won't be hungry for dinner later that night while I'm counting the hours till I can eat again.

Anyway, again I apologize if I'm off the mark. Just my point of view....
Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #9  
I CAN do this!

oh no, it's ok. i haven't really made it an issue. when they're full, i want them to stop. i remind them too. they have to try the veggies, curry so on, i don't make them eat it.

i'm trying to focus on dense cal foods like pb. its weird bc its the opposite of my new way of eating. they love fruit and some veggies too. trying to not give them chips and such just to have extra cals. they're very used to not having those in the house.

i have that same confusion. their dad leaves a few bites on his plate. he's full so he stops. i'm working on that myself.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #10  

I think you are handling everything just right and you have a good plan for the calorie dense foods.

I'm always soooo glad when someone identifies with me and my issues--thanks for sharing about their dad. I'm glad I'm not the only one