General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #1  

Default Busting Sugar: December and beyond!

Ok, I am starting a new one!

Craft fair went well. There were not too many folks that came, but enough. I did not do as well as the others, but I am not going to complain. One friend of mine came and spent a LOT on my stuff. Made me feel good. Two sisters from my new church came, and I was NOT expecting them! It just MADE my day. I sold a decent amount...would have loved to sell more. I sold NO paintings. I got plenty of good comments...just no purchases. Oh well! I will list it all on etsy, and hope some more sells.

My morning blood sugar level was totally normal...as in non diabetic normal. I am not sure what to make of it, but I was glad to see it. I only had one normal meal yesterday...so maybe the key for me is to severely limit caloric intake?!

Off to get dressed. Today I am going to my Jamaican friend's house to make our annual batch of Jamaican fruit cake...think English plum pudding...its steamed and laced heavily with port wine. Its fabulous!

Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #2  

Oh, and the sporadic eating schedule of the last few days seems to be a plus in weight loss as well! I hope it is still there come weigh in Wednesday!
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #3  

Ellen- Congrats on selling your stuff and seeing great numbers with your blood sugars. I also like the new thread you started. I'm sure your work is beautiful.

I had a very busy weeknd it was my wonderful husband's birthday and the family we took im out to dinner Friday night and he had another celebration on Sunday. We had a great time and I am very tired. I have a half day today and then off to see my dietician and then work out.

Have a great day everyone.
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #4  

Oh boy a new thread. Thanks so much Ellen.... We went grocery shopping yesterday and it was a nightmare. There must have been a million people in Wal Mart. We didn't get home till dark. Of course it gets dark so early. Anyway its over with. Won't be the last time I have to brave the crowds. LOL.... Just had a toasted english muffin for breakfast with a glass of OJ and a banana.

Ellen- Glad you had a good open house. I can't believe someone didn't buy one of your lovely paintings. Good deal about your BS this morning.

Mercee- Way to go! Have a great day....
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #5  

Today went very well! We got the fruit cakes done around 4 and I made it home in time to throw together some chili for dinner. Tom got home early and went out and picked collards. I will cook them for dinner tomorrow night.

MERCEE: Tell your hubby happy birthday for me! Where did you go for dinner? The restaurants around Oak Park where I grew up are so different now....

TONI: I know what you mean about Wal Mart. Argh! Around here the best time to go is early in the morning. If you wait until after 10:30 or 11, its just too late and too crowded!

Off to get some chores done!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good evening

Howdy ya'll. I just finished dinner and am moving into lazy mode. I was able to get in two good workouts today. One was the five mile video and the other was a fast two mile video. I'm trying really hard to work off the last ten pounds.

Solly...Praying that your appointment goes well in the morning.

Ellen..WTG on the good blood levels. So glad you had some sales. Hope you sell even more online. Thanks so much for starting the new thread.

Toni..I'm dreading getting out and facing the crowds.

Got some chores I need to finish.

(((Everybody)))

God bless,
Crystle
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #7  

Happy Birthday,

Crystle!

Last edited by Ellen; 12-07-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #8  

Morning! My blood sugar was back up to the lower end of what it normally is. Not great, but not horrible either. Just merely bad!

I have a lot to do this week, and I am having a hard time focusing on what I should do first!

Its cold cold cold! Tom picked collards last night so I guess they will be on the menu tonight. I love them...but I am not crazy about washing them, washing them and washing them. It seems no matter what I do, I still end up with sandy grit on them. bleh! I found a recipe for collards where you roll the leaves then slice them across really thinly before cooking. I want to try it with some of this batch to see it is good. Tom is kind of old fashioned about his collards though...

Off to get the day started! I will probably check in again later.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #9  

Just having my late morning coffee. Need to cook breakfast. Think I'll have a bacon and tomato sandwich. Doing pork chops for dinner this evening. Maybe with a salad and baked sweet potato.

Crystle- Happy Birthday to youuuuuuu!

Ellen- Wow I would love to taste those fruitcakes. Yum.... Darn that blood sugar. Hope it goes down. I've never made collards. I see them at the store but wonder if I would like the taste.

Solly- Hopeing your appointment goes well.

Mercee- Are you working hard?
Toni48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #10  

Morning Ladies:

Crystle- Happy Birthday!! Enjoy your day. You rock ! Wow doing 2 workouts in one day. Wishing you the best in the home stretch.

Ellen- We went to Pappaduex's in Westmont, Il. It is a New Orleans style seafood resturant. They have great food.

Toni- Hi! The crowds are carzy this time of the year.

Solly- I pray that all is well with you.

Yesterday I went to see my dietician. Since October I have lost an additional 10lbs. She downloaded all of my data from my meter and my blood sugars have been great. As a result I can't go back anymore unless I start having trougble. She feels I know what I am doing. I am thankful for how good thongs are going. This is the first year I didn't gain weight after the holidays.

Have a great day ladies.

Last edited by Mercee; 12-07-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies. Had the MRI. It only lasted about an hour and 20 minutes. The dr told me 2 hours so I was glad about that. I did doze off once or twice and I think I jumped and moved my leg but the guy did not say anything. I have to wait 48 hrs. I have my CT scan tomorrow on my chest. Is there anything else???? Praying the lump has not changed in my lungs. Really don't want to go there again.

Ellen, so sorry you didn't sell more things. Hoping you can sell them on Etsy. They are so beautiful. I love Kale but I believe they are different from Collard Greens. Thanks for the new thread.

Toni is BL on tonight? I didn't look. We are having pork chops on Thursday night. roast tonight. It is so cold here. I hate it.

Crystle, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :cake: Hope you have a special day. You are so special to us. My DD's birthday was yesterday. You are rocking with the last 10 pounds. I just can't seem to get started.

Mercee, Wish your DH a happy belated birthday. Great on not having to go back to the nutrionist and not gaining over TG.

Have a great day.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Almost forget... Does anyone have a great cookie recipe. My DD needs to make 9 dozen and doesn't want to do choc chip or oatmeal. Wans something different but something easy to make with 9 dozen.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 7"

Default God morning

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes. Today has been great so far. Just finished a breakfast of hamburger and egg whites. Did a new workout earlier and it was great. Leslie kicked my tootie again. Part of the walk slim series.

Ellen..I grew up on collards. Love love love them. A good way to get all the grit is to wash them one leaf at a time. But when making a lot that isn't possible. Floating them in several bowls of water does an excellent job. The grit falls to the bottom. We always layer and slice the collards. Since they are a tougher green this makes them a lot easier to eat. Plus a pinch of sugar mellows out the bitter flavor.

Solly...Praying that there is NO change unless it is in a positive direction. I would love for the lump to be gone.

Mercee..That is SO awesome! Besides the weight loss to get your health under control is major.

Toni...Yum. My daughter called and she was having bacon today also. It just sounds so good. If I didn't have to cook and clean up I think I'd make some..LOL How is that for lazy.

Gotta get my tootie moving this morning.

(((Everybody)))

God bless,
Crystle
CountryMom4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #14  

I ended up going to the market today with my chef friend. Afterwards, we went to Cook's Warehouse because she needed to pick up her paycheck. (she teaches classes for them) I LOVED the place! Kitchen stuff galore! I got a set of English Muffin rings so I can make a full recipe at a time now of gluten free ones.

I MUST clean house and get ready to decorate for Christmas. Tomorrow is going to be the day. I am so disgusted at what a messy slob I am!

MERCEE: We have Pappadeux here! I have not been to one in a few years, but I do remember the food was wonderful. Congrats on your blood sugar management! That is just wonderful!

SOLLY: I hope the reports you get are good news. Praying for you. I have tons of cookie recipes. How about this one, a family favorite and easy:

Scottish Shortbreads
3 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix all the dry, cut in the butter and vanilla like pie crust. Press into a 13x9 inch pan evenly. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. When cool, drizzle with powdered sugar icing (just add a tiny bit of milk or water to about 1/2 cup powdered sugar and stir, then drizzle with a fork), let dry and cut into 36 bars. I have added cocoa to the powdered sugar icing and that is good too. I make these a lot and they are always popular. If you wanted to make them festive, you could make red and green icing and drizzle them with both.

COUNTRY: My husband LOVES collards. He grew up on a farm in south Georgia...I never had a collard until I married him! Love them! I tried a fat free vegan recipe and made the traditional ones tonight. I use olive oil instead of bacon fat these days, but they are still wonderful. The ff vegan recipe used onions and garlic and red pepper flakes. It was really good. I cook them in the pressure cooker and it only takes a few minutes. I have heard about adding a bit of sugar but I have never done that. Tom always waits until after a cold snap to pick collards. He says the cold mellows the flavor. Oh, and this batch is the first time they were not real dirty! Tom said he thinks it is because he put down a thick layer of leaves as mulch. It was so easy to wash them, it was great!

TONI: You might like collards...if you like cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, mustard greens...I really like them.

Off to bed! Good night all!

Last edited by Ellen; 12-07-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM   #15  

Good Morning Ladies:

Solly- Praying your test results bring good news.

Crystle- Hope your day was wonderful.

Ellen- I love collards as well. Washing them is always a chore but they are worth it.

Toni- Hope your day is going great.

Well I am pleased I am down 3 pounds. This is great for me after being stalled. Have a great day ladies. Congrats to all the other losers.

Last edited by Mercee; 12-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.