Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #1  

Default Share your experience training for 5K/triathlon to motivate me!!/ HELP!

Hi everyone!
I was thinking about training for my first race. It is July 31, 2011. It constists of 2 mile run, 11.5 mile Bike and 5k Run.

Here's my deal in a nutshell. I used to be, pre-babies, healthy (always a bit over wieght because I love to eat!) but I went to the gym daily. I ran both at the gym and outside trails, did step, yoga, spin, weights ect, and was fit, despite my few extra pounds. I was also young, in my early 20s.

Fast forward to now at 2 months shy of 30 years old. I've had two kids, and haven't moved faster that a walk in 4 years! And I haven't lifted anything heavier than a baby! I'm heavier than I've ever been, and scared I'll hurt myself since in my mind's eye, I'm still able to do the physical things I did before, but I am NOT. Also, it seems I can't just rush into working out like I used to, because I'm so out of shape and its just not that easy anymore.
I want to run a this race at the end of July for Autism. My 3 year old is autistic and this is something I want to do. But I starting from zero. I don't know if this is enough time to get in shape.

Has anyone started out completely out of shape and been able to do something like this?
I mean, I get winded after dancing to one song. I need to do cardio and weights. I've thought about joining a gym (which I did through all my early 20s) but I'm embarrassed to workout in front of others. I know that's silly, but I'm really self conscience about the condition of my body, but I really need to go to a gm if I'm serious about this race. Working out seriously is not an option with the kids. The gym provides child care, so I can focus on my workout. I mean, there's only so much I can do with a stroller, or a video in my livingroom. I want to get on the treadmill. the stationary bike and such.

GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

You can do this!

There are some great beginner training plans out there, and you have plenty of time even if you need to work up to the first week's level.

Where are you starting from? How long can you comfortably bike or run (doesn't necessarily have to be fast)? A biathlon sounds like great motivation - especially since you have a personal tie to the cause.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #3  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Its a duathlon.... a Biathlon is actually cross country skiing and target shooting, of all things... lol
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
Its a duathlon.... a Biathlon is actually cross country skiing and target shooting, of all things... lol
touche. I'm used to thinking in triathlon so my first thought was biathlon.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #5  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Oh my gosh, GO FOR IT!!!! Training for a race is hugely motivating, and it's great that you have a personal connection to the cause. 7 months is plenty of time to get in shape for this race (especially since you've been active before), and if you have access to a gym that provides childcare, there's nothing standing in your way!!!

If you're feeling self-conscious about the gym, keep in mind that every single person is there to get in shape. I've been a gym member at tons of different weights, and have never felt anything besides a sense of camaraderie and support - like, we're all in this together. In general, people are a lot more worried about their own workouts than they are about yours - so don't let that excuse hold you back!

And if you need a training program to help get you in shape for running, I highly recommend the C25K program (search here or on Google for "C25K" and you'll find tons of info). It's great for non-runners, and keep in mind that you can do it at whatever pace you want (ie - repeat weeks as needed).

You can do it!
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #6  

I used CoolRunning's C25k to get started running. If you're not up to 30 minutes of walking, build up to that first before going with a C25k plan.

Biking I'm less familiar with, maybe try an internet search for "beginning duathlon"? I can't imagine there isn't something similar out there for biking as running. If you can't find anything, find a couch-to-sprint triathlon plan (such as Beginner Triathlete dot com) and skip the swimming or sub more walking.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #7  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i wouldnt worry right now about putting it all together yet...just start getting time in running (walking-- whatever) and get some time in on the stationary bike...take a spin class once a week, ya know. Worry about putting them together as you are 2-3 months out from the race
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #8  

omg, thank you everyone for the support! I can't say how much it means to me to see so many people rooting for me!
I'm not sure exactly where I am, since I haven't been on a treadmill in forever. I'm going to guess, if I had to jog at a slow pace, that I might be ok for a minute? But I might be way off. And biking, I couldn't even guess. But once I get to the gym, I will know.
I talked to my husband about my gym anxiety, and he has been really supportive. He says he will join with me, though we will be joining after the holidays. Not as a new years resolution but for money reasons. All of our extra money is going to holiday shopping! lol
We are going to check out our local gym on Thurday, when he is off of work, and see if we like the child care and if there are enough machines, so we don't have to wait like an hour for a machine.
I'm going to google that, C25K. I am going to have to start with walking. I don't own a real bike yet. Maybe in the spring, after getting better on the stationary one, I will get an actual bike.
The cause is the main reason I want to do it. Along with getting fit, I want to raise money for autism.
Oh, and it is advertised as a duathlon! lol!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/187/150

Height: 5'6"

Good luck on training for your duathlon! I did my first triathlons last year and it has been a wonderful experience, especially with a great cause to support. Did you join the gym? You have plenty of time to train, you just have to make the commitment. Two tips: 1) once you get closer to your race spend time doing "brick" workouts once a week or once every other week. These are workouts where you run then immediately get on the bike or vice versa. The hardest part of dus and tris is the transition between the sports. 2) spend plenty of time in the couple of months before the race riding your bike outside and learn to handle the bike, switch gears, etc.
If you haven't run in a long time or ever, try couchto5k as a great beginners program
lobon is offline   Reply With Quote